main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nevermind that the cavs have had the first pick three times since they picked lebron.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    one of which you can't really credit to Cleveland because we only had it because the Clippers are stupid

LloydChristmas and tom like this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    And also getting top lottery odds isn't bad luck.

Actually wait I think I got it...the "don't worry" was sarcasm about that not mattering and we could drop to 5th again? So we owe for LeBron (tabling The Decision/losing him for two titles in Miami), and since we've been kicking that can down the road with lucky #1 picks in the interim, then LeBron's Return and Finals appearances, it's now time for us to pay by getting top lottery odds that don't actually result in top lottery picks?

I haven't been that confused since I was forced to learn what freedomtoons were.

tom and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

11-years ago today (11?! :eek:); great, vivid memories of watching those shots, that game with a dear friend at a restaurant bar. The giddy, Christmas Eve-esque hyperness as we left, knowing the odds were great that the Lakers would clinch that title. One of the better single-game experiences of that ‘08-‘10 run.

Honestly, have always appreciated that run a little more than the 3-peat; being older & slightly more mature helped to really appreciate the team’s accomplishments, but also rebounding from my mental breakdown episode of late February ‘08 was helped quite a bit by those playoff experiences. What a goddamn great distraction.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    TSN showing NBA 2019 Game 6 Championship all day today. (And the Raptors documentary after) I was hollering at the tv in those very strange last 30 seconds of gameplay that took 10 minutes! And I clearly know how it turns out!

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s been the weirdest experience of this lockdown for me, or one of the weirdest experiences. Rewatching old games and yelling at them like they’re happening live.

“Shoot the damn ball!”

Narrator: He doesn’t shoot the damn ball. You already know this.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's been four years, but I'm never convinced Kyrie is gonna make that shot, or that Steph is gonna get locked down by Kevin, or that the fall LeBron takes when going for the game sealing dunk isn't gonna turn into an injury, let Steph hot a triple, and send us into OT without LeBron. No matter how many times I watch it.

8. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    It's kind of neat that the Raptors get to hold on to their title for a longer period of time than any other NBA Champ ever has.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree with Kyrie and Dwight about how the NBA restarting right now would provide a tremendous distraction from issues that are finally getting the focus and attention they deserve. But in doing this, they ought to use the platform to help raise further awareness to these issues and let it be known why it is they are protesting playing. That could really go a long way.

What do you guys think?

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protests-06-13-20/h_84500290de6c422310dc94e3d71b93ab

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    You can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time therefore you can play and still speak out about issues. From my understanding Kyrie's stance was more about getting a better deal for the players since they are still ongoing. Players want more freedom in the bubble and families to visit. And if they sit and boycott the owners can tear up their contract and get rid of the CBA. The aftermath could be no next season either due to a labor dispute. I don't think that would be good for anyone especially with a pandemic going on.

Juliet316 and Runjedirun like this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I think the NBA holds a significant place within the black community that other leagues don't. It would make quite a statement for them to do their own protest by not playing until issues concerning the black community are addressed.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Then the owners rightfully so tear up their contract and players lose out for paychecks for at least a year if not longer as a work stoppage like that would cancer games until October 2021 at least. That also means stadium workers, team personnel etc would lose jobs along with the lost tv revenue which more jobs and businesses would be lost. Even jersey and basketball shoes sales would take a massive hit.

Everything has unintended consequences and sitting would have tons of devstating ones even with the best intentions. It's like the protests themselves. Best intentions because of great/righteous cause but they come with unintended consequences which in the end will be many more COVID-19 cases. It's scientifically impossible for it not to even with many protestors being responsible and wearing a mask.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Fair points.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not to mention, the players will have a much better and louder voice being pretty much the only thing on tv. Those shirts they wear in warm ups, the statements they make on post game press conferences. Those are going to be loud voices. And the current crop of NBA superstars have shown no issue broadcasting their voices

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Could be much worse in life.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

They went ahead and gave better hotels based on record. I'm dying.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    June 17th, 2008...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That, well, was...

[​IMG].

However, on June 17th, 2010...

[​IMG]

Much better!

[​IMG].

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This way transcends sports, but it's also really easily the best news we'll see even semi related to sports in a long time

Rew, Havac , Runjedirun and 7 others like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Game 2 of the 1992 championship on NBA TV right now. Been awhile since I watched Jordan and Pippen in their prime, Last Dance aside.

JEDI-RISING and Juliet316 like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dammit. One trade too late or we would have had Embiid and Westbrook sequestered in the same hotel for months. Or, more than likely, hours.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Sad news today in Basketball.

Thanks COVID!

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    please bring JR to the Lakers. We all need some more 2018 style laughs.