main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena God Slayers (The Tennessee Titans fanclub)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Oct 27, 2008.

1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, it wasn't Johnson's running game that beat the Steelers last year. They have his number, so it was pretty much Kerry's passing being on in that game -- and our defense. But the fact that Johnson was able to get at least a couple of first downs against the Steelers was a good sign to me.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    good god is johnson incredible...

he might make take the rushing title this year, if this game is any indication whatsoever. maybe even MVP talks due to his doing a little bit of everything. *shakes head* incredible RB.

3. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    As good a game as Johnson was having, I can't believe we still blew it. I can't help but feeling our defense didn't have it together yesterday. There were times when they'd let the receivers go by with little more than a touch on the shoulder. And as a Titans fan I'm getting kind of tired of the unsportsmanlike like conduct of Vandenbosch and Finnegan. Yes, they are awesome players, but it's getting to the point that they're costing us in penalties and making us look like thugs. Hopefully, Jeff gets that under control.

4. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    yesterday was INTENSE. shocking to see Fisher upset...he is always sooo stoic. i mean he is the one that MAKES the rules...isn't he the chairman of the committee. so one would think he would know what is legal or not. i don't know. i think there were some BAD calls on the officials. not to be a sore looser, however when they shoved Johnson out and the crowd was like WT*....and i think that really didn't help the fight cause.

which i am glad they actually showed it for once. I was like kick his head in...the AFC South is probably one if the hardest divisions out there.

I still think we have play off chances...we are too good of a team to NOT make it...and Chris Johnson is a freaking rockstar. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    There might have been some bad calls, but we got away with more than one holding call, and Finnegan and Vandenbosch probably should have a couple of calls on them. Especially Finnegan. I counted twice when he'd hit a player after the tackle and got away with it.

If we're going to win, we need to win right. And yesterday I was pretty disappointed in their conduct. And don't get me started on the fight.... Disappointing. Even the fans reactions were disappointing.

I'm with you on Jeff, though. He's on the Rules Committee... he should have known that.

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, despite our loss last week, it looks like Chis broke a record!

JOHNSON ON JETS' RADAR AFTER BIG GAME VS. TEXANS
    The New York Jets plan to pay very close attention to Tennessee running back Chris Johnson on Sunday. Good move, considering the huge game Johnson just turned in. He became the first player in NFL history to rush for a touchdown of longer than 90 yards, another for more than 50 yards, and a TD catch longer than 60 yards. That earned a request from the Pro Football Hall of Fame for his shoes from that game, with the cleats shipped to Canton on Wednesday. Johnson set a career-high with 197 yards rushing and 87 yards receiving on 25 touches for 284 yards total, second in franchise history only to Billy Cannon's 330 yards on Dec. 10, 1961, against the then-New York Titans. Johnson's 91-yard TD run tied the longest rush in franchise history, a mark set by Sid Blanks on Dec. 13, 1964, against the renamed Jets.

Also, it'll be pretty freaky this weekend as the Titans are the Oilers in their old uniforms and the Jets are the Titans in their old uniforms.

The Jets uniform will be a big change, they'll be dark blue and mustard (or gold and mustard?).

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Seriously. How many times does Mouton have to do something like this before he gets that he can let the ball go? He needs some seriously special teams "counseling". [face_plain]

8. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Here is hoping that we actually made a return without dropping the ball. I am sorry you are getting paid WAY too much to be screwing around like that. [face_frustrated]

9. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Can anyone explain what the heck has happened to the Titans this year?

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    From what I'm seeing the wheels are falling off the bus, and I'm not sure Jeff Fisher has the bus on the road anymore. I read these press conferences and he doesn't seem to be concentrating on the real issues at all, he almost looks like he's distracted by the whole thing.

Granted, we've got injuries in starters and secondaries even, especially on defense, but I'm not sure that's an excuse for the defense that just basically stayed on the bus in New England... [face_plain] And if we haven't fired Chuck Cecil by the time this bye is over, we're idiots.

People can point fingers all they want to at Collins and Britt, and others, but at the end of the day, Jeff and his new (idiot) defensive coordinator especially aren't giving off vibes that they have these players' hearts and minds. I'm beginning to think this is a locker room issue...and that's scary as hell...

I don't think this is Kerry's fault like the media keeps trying to paint it as, we're not a passing team and our defense is making him stay out there on the field way too long. I'd say the same for the running game. Yesterday was absolutely the worst spectacle of defense I've ever seen and if Bud Adams isn't threatening everyone's job from Fisher on down, I'd be surprised. And we need to get over the Vince Young fixation. He's not our guy, and for his sake and ours, we need to let him go on to greener pastures like Houston. I don't think there is a situation where the team or he wins anymore and that's not fair to him or the other players. All I can hope for is that we can get a good QB next year in the draft.

Seriously. If they don't do something in this bye week to shake things up, we could be looking at losing to the Rams. The Rams. [face_plain]

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'll stick with what i've been saying pretty much everywhere. the loss of jim schwarz killed the titans. i don't think anyone realized what kind of job he had been doing there... until now. i can't think this would have happened were he still there.

as roo said this is not the offenses fault... beyond the wideouts dropping a boatload of passes. that is inexcusable, but nothing terribly new since derek mason was sent packing. a new wide reciever's coach is in order. a new defensive coach is in order, maybe from the ground up on that side of the ball. beyond that i'm not sure what to say because it's not like there was a huge amount of turnover at any position beyond haynesworth, and he's definitely not important enough to cause the whole team to collapse like this. just look at his impact on the 'skins. nada.

so what needs to be done? new defensive coaching staff, new wideout coach... maybe a new coaching staff all the way around, regardless of how much i hate to say it. at least they should get a decent draft pick, maybe they can find a QB then.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    at least they should get a decent draft pick, maybe they can find a QB then.

Colt McCoy? :p

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    He's looking better and better. Sam Bradford's injury is starting to look chronic. He would be my favorite pick if it wasn't for that. Anyone but Tim Tebow.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You gotta admit, replacing Vince Young with Colt McCoy would be quite ironic. Especially for a team that used to be in Texas :p

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    especially given one of their nemesis is the colts. that would be ironic as hell.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I am now hoping that the Titans draft Colt McCoy. :D

17. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I haven't been in here lately sorry.

gollllly. so really do you think that jim going to detriot has made that much of a difference? I don't think Haynesworth is really that much of a change?

what is up with our team in general. I mean honestly...yes we have a tougher schedule this year, but besides scaife...he is a rockstar AND johnson of course...i am just in shock.

I still love them though.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    what's always been the titan's MO? defense and running. well, the running game is still intact a la chris johnson as seen by the fact he's one of the top rushers of the year so far, so what does that leave? the defense. schwartz WAS the defense. it's really that simple, so when you replace him with someone who is apparently completely out of his league then yes, i believe it makes all the difference in the world. seriously, this is a team that had multiple defensive pro bowlers last year, and EVERYONE on the field save maybe bullock looks pathetic. everyone. that tells me that cecil is almost completely responsible for this collapse and if they don't replace him SOON it might cost fisher his job.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm completely with you, there. I don't know if an anvil has to fall on Bud Adams' head, or if it's Fish being too compassionate, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this guy is WAY out of his league. Two things should happen this week, Jeff starts calling defense plays until we can get another D Cooridnator and the Recievers coach gets his walking papers.

20. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    What is most disturbing to me during the 0-6 run is the lack of accountability. Jim Schwartz or Gregg Williams, our DC from the Super Bowl run, would have benched guys for some of the boneheaded and undisciplined plays that the defense is making.

The regression of players like Michael Griffin is also amazing; he looks worse out there now that during his rookie season. This is a freakin' Pro Bowler being turned inside out on every play!

Everyone from Fisher down to the ball boy has the deer in the headlights look, and it doesn't appear that they have a clue on how to turn this around.

The remaining schedule after the bye:
    Jacksonville
    at San Francisco
    Buffalo
    at Houston
    Arizona
    at Indianapolis
    St Louis
    Miami
    San Diego
    at Seattle

If the Patriots hung 59 on us, how many are Warner - Fitzgerald - Boldin going to post? [face_plain]

On a personal note, I will never hear the end of it if we lose to the Rams. My boyfriend is a huge Rams fan, and we take great delight in trash-talking each other's sports teams.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    If we lose to the Rams, I might have to burn my Titans jersey in effigy.

I watched the Titans/Rams Superbowl on Classic Games last night and it nearly broke my heart. :(

The way Eddie George willed the team back in the 2nd half, Steve McNair's refusal to be sacked, Dyson's heartbreaking catch just 1 yard from the goal to tie them up and Steve on his knees after the game and Jeff Fisher comforting him.

I hated the Rams after that game. Ugh. Kirt Warner and Vermillion's cornfed, aw-shucks, golly goshing crap after the game, and knowing that we came so close. Still can't stand them, and if we don't win any games the rest of this season, I want us to beat the Rams and the Cardinals.

The Classic game also made me sad for how much heart that team had, versus this one.

As fast as Chris Johnson is, he's too worried about injuries and would rather take a side line than ploughing like Eddie did. The game really highlighted the difference between the former running back and the current one, not to mention Johnson's wimpy sitting on the sidelines against the Ravens... [face_frustrated]

I agree, Nicki, the whole team and coaching staff needs the proverbial foot up their arse. I love this article. Worst team in football?

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if you'll remember, in the ravens game johnson got completely wrapped up just above the knees and then here comes lewis hitting him up top and practically doubling him over. that his really pissed me off, and i'm not even the least bit surprised that johnson was sat after that play. he didn't go back in the game because he had a strained back, and i quite frankly can't blame him for that. running against the raven's with a back injury would have been nigh on suicide, and potentially vastly more damaging to him and the team's future than sitting him.

also, johnson is one of the few backs that i've seen in the last decade who's actually willing to cut back INSIDE rather than go outta bounds. EVERYONE does that now, there are no jerome bettis', barry sanders, emmitt smiths, walter peytons or jim browns anymore. EVERYONE goes outta bounds if they think they're about to get hit. johnson is one of the very, very few other than brandon jacobs who will try and take the hit and get more yardage. does he do it on every play? no, mainly because he's not big enough to take as many of those hits, but he is willing to when the situation warrents it unlike many, many other RBs out there right now.

the rest of it though, dead on. i can't believe what's happened with michael griffin. dude was considered one of the top five safties in the whole freaking league, and we're talking the likes of ed reed, troy polamalu, bob sanders and dawkins here. i have no freaking clue what's happened to him. or pretty much the entire rest of the defense. chris hope was pretty danged good last year too, and he's pretty flat now. nick harper's been pathetic, finegan was pretty much invisible unless he was doing something wrong (until he got hurt). the line backers, other than bullock, are pretty well playing every man for himself. that's kinda the thing, they aren't a team anymore, they're just a bunch of guys out there playing and not watching out for each other. that'll make anyone look like a rookie if they play like that. there's just no discipline anymore, and that comes from the person who is coaching the defense, and putting them through their paces. in this case, chuck cecil.

sorry to say i can't make myself hate warner, as i've always kinda liked him. the aw shucks routine is pretty well what he was and is. seriously, he was bagging groceries before that, and i just can't make myself hate someone who went from rags to riches like that. vermeil on the other hand... can't stand the man, never could and never will.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    What this Patriot/Titans game highlighted was something that I had seen in the last two or three games, starting with the Texans and by the Patriots it was glaring...the defense's inability (or downright refusal, I dunno) to tackle. It was astounding to watch these guys RUN BESIDE Randy Moss last Sunday. Seriously, I joked about them being afraid to break a nail in the games against the Texans, Jaguars and the Colts, but in this last game? They were afraid to break a sweat. And I absolutely blame Chuck Cecil for that. And he's Jeff's man, I think Jeff needs to realize it was a bad decision to let him take the reins and try to find someone else, hopefully with proven track record. This would be a start, anyway.

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We are so screwed. Seriously. Of all the things wrong with the Titans right now, the QB is not numero uno.

I know Bud thinks we need to see if Vince is "our man" for the long haul. I'm not a football genius and *I* can tell him he's not "our man" for the long haul, he's done with the Titans. We need to salvage what's left of this season, let Vince be successful somewhere else, and get a good QB that can study game mgt under Kerry next year and come in 2012.

What this team needs right now is a defense and some wide receivers that can make plays. And to fire Chuck Cecil... [face_plain]

Fellow Titans fans, it's going to be a long season. :(

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't have a problem with them giving Vince Young a chance. Do I think it'll work out? No, but sometimes one is surprised.

The issue is that there are far more important things for the Titans to worry about right now.