main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Godzilla and other Japanese Kaiju Movies.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by rodan70, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I looked through here and Didn't find a thread on The Godzilla films. As you can see by my ID name, i love the old Godzilla Kaiju films. Any other fans on here?

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    My (soon-to-be-ex)wife's son loves them. He's been a godzilla fan since he was 6.
    Godzilla is cool! He gets to fight, and smash things, and no one can send him to his room!
    Over the years, I've found other series that I remembered liking at that age, including Ultra-Man. Only ever saw the first one. Now there are something like 12 different ultraman series...
    And then there was Spectra-Man...
    and the one I can never remember the name of that had the family of rocketships that turned into robots. The bad guys were dressed in black spandex and called loogoo men. When the robots shot them, they turned into applesauce. Goldar, Sil-var, and Gam.
    Gamera is the Kaiju that parents watch as a sacrifice for their kids...Wow are those painful.

3. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    The older Gamera movies ARE painful. the 3 newer ones that came out in the 90's arn't bad

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I compare the old Gamera to the Beethoven dog movies. Not much difference, except that the Gamera movies have scales on the giant monsters instead of fur, and slightly more of a plot.

5. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    LOL! I agree. I've never thought of it that way.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    My brother James is a big fan of them. Has almost all of the original Godzilla movies on DVD

7. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    you can just have so much fun with the Godzilla movies. Which godzilla movies does he need? Alot of them are out of pint here in the US.

8. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I really like Kaiju film but I'm not a big fan of Godzilla though. Luckily there are a lot of other good Kaiju film out there ready to be explored. Not only from Japan but from all over Asia. :)

9. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    I always liked the Godzilla series from the 80's and 90's, except for Space Godzilla. Godzilla vs. Destroyah is my favorite kaiju movie of all-time. Destroyah was a nasty-looking critter(s) with an attitude to match, and Godzilla's death scene a bit moving. His last cry and the music in that scene is what really made me enjoy it. A fitting finale to a series.

I also enjoyed the two movies from the Millenium series that had Mechagodzilla. Though I prefer the 90's MechaGodzilla's theme music, the Millenium one gave Godzilla some fights to remember, especially near the end of Tokyo S.O.S. with the hand-drill.

Save for the original Godzilla movie, I never cared much for the older stuff from the 50's 60's and 70's. I did kinda liked The Mysterians, but I would've liked it more of it showed more of Mogeura.

10. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    And MOGERA was taken out so easily in the movie. i love the movie "Ghidrah: The Three- Headed Monster"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.