main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Going Icon-less and changing sigs to support the Mods...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by kreleia, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Yvette, I'm surprised at you.

For everyone who just got sick of not having an icon, that's your choice, and I'll respect it, and I'm not saying anything after this, but has the issue changed? If not, have your feelings? If not, why have you stopped doing something that, even if it doesn't make a difference, is a powerful way to voice your opinions in a non-threatening manner? Just curious. [face_plain]

2. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Sad isn't it Rogue?
    It also sends a very important message to the ownership....
    "DO NOT TAKE US SERIOUSLY!"

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I think this protest has ran its course. Everything is back to normal now, for the most part.

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    sorry I got my icon back I still support the mods, but still to be honest I had trouble locating my posts

5. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    I think this protest has ran its course. Everything is back to normal now, for the most part.

"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."
    -Haile Selassie

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    "Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."
    -Haile Selassie

*slams fist*

Curses! My cover as Philip Wise's second in command and co-conspirator has been blown!

7. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Everything is back to normal now, for the most part.

Sure it is. [face_plain] Like too many people with 30-minute sitcom memory span swho have to be spoon fed by 30 second sound-bytes to remain interested, they've left this behind because it didn't directly affect them, or didn't fill their daily drama quotient.

It reminds me about the old quote about Nazi Germany, when they took away all the people who were 'different', one group at a time, but no one spoke up; and when it came time for the author to be taken, there was no one left to stand up and defend him.

Just because some of us are laying low, does not mean we're laying down and sucking up to PW like certain others. [face_plain]

I won't use the name 'scabs', but the title might just fit some of the people around here just fine. [face_plain]

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't think things will be entirely the same again, but there comes a point where moving on is the most appropriate and healthy thing to do.

There are two facts of the matter I consider important:
    1) PW apologized for certain comments he made.
    2) The new rule about submitting personal information is here to stay regardless of whether we like it or not.

In light of these things, moving on is simply the best thing to do.

9. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    2) The new rule about submitting personal information is here to stay regardless of whether we like it or not.

1) If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. Secon, the keyword and tricky phrase is certain comments he made.

2) If you are dumb enough to believe the reasons he gave you about the personal information thing, I can give you a really good deal on that bridge.

I don't know who I am more dissapointed in: The mods who are sucking up to this guy, or the non-mods who are following changing back to their old ways, like so many sheep.

strilo edit: Calling people dumb is against the TOS. I am disappointed that a former RSA would not understand the rules.

10. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    i smell bacon.

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Sure it is. Like too many people with 30-minute sitcom memory span swho have to be spoon fed by 30 second sound-bytes to remain interested, they've left this behind because it didn't directly affect them, or didn't fill their daily drama quotient.

It reminds me about the old quote about Nazi Germany, when they took away all the people who were 'different', one group at a time, but no one spoke up; and when it came time for the author to be taken, there was no one left to stand up and defend him.

Just because some of us are laying low, does not mean we're laying down and sucking up to PW like certain others.

I won't use the name 'scabs', but the title might just fit some of the people around here just fine.

[image=http://www.introwebnet.com/forums/images/smiles/deadhorse.gif]

I don't know who I am more dissapointed in: The mods who are sucking up to this guy, or the non-mods who are following changing back to their old ways, like so many sheep.

I'm very interested in hearing the many ways that you plan on starting a revolution.

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Okay, Nazis have been brought up in an internet argument. Can we envoke Goodwin's Law now?

Comparing what has happened here to Nazi Germany is blowing things way out of proportion. One was the slaughter of millions of innocent people, the other is the internet. And the abuse of E-power, and E-revolutions. Sorry, comparing the two really doesn't make me want to jump up, ready for action.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I heartily agree with DDH.

14. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Viva la revolution!

[image=http://www.el-comandante.com/cheyfidel/che09.jpg]

15. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I am sorry, Anne. I am too weak. [face_plain]

16. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    I'm going to agree with DDH on the Nazi issue.

Really? All I've gotten as far as that's concerned is heresay. Never saw an apology myself.

I'm not happy with the way things turned out, but nothing that I'm going to do will change that, so, so be it. I've PMed all of the new YJCC mods to tell them that I have no hard feelings towards them, because I know that one of the comments I got alot was about how mad I was going to be at the new mods - I'm not. More power to them :p

For the people who want to add their icons back or change their sigs - if you want to do it, go ahead. I never removed my icon, so it's silly of me to expect you to continue going icon-less if I'm not doing it myself.

And if you want to continue being icon-less, that's cool also. I don't see it as beating a dead horse, so long as you realize that not having an icon isn't going to bring us back. But I don't think many people believed that it was going to anyways.

And always remember: real life > internet drama

17. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    It doesn't have to change anything, or bring anything back. It's just a statement of what I believe is right. That's why I'll continue to do it, but why I'll also respect anyone else's choice to do or not do it. :)

18. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    1) If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. Secon, the keyword and tricky phrase is certain comments he made.

I pointed out a specific choice comment I thought really was inappropriate and the source of much of the drama. He apologized for that one. There were other comments he made I thought lacked the level of diplomacy (for lack of a better word) I would have like to see, but when you mod for a while, you get used to tough comments and grow thicker skin.

As to whether his apology was sincere, only God knows his heart. He's said it, if he says it again it doesn't make it any more or less true, so I can either accept it or not. Continuing to be bitter and recentful over the issue is only going to make me miserable and a generally unpleasant person, which does no one any good. So, for me, the choice to move on was a logical one.

2) If you are dumb enough to believe the reasons he gave you about the personal information thing, I can give you a really good deal on that bridge.

I'm not entirely sure I understood the reason to begin with myself, but you're missing my point. Regardless of whether his reasons are entirely sound and noble, or something less, the rule isn't going to change. He will absolutely not budge on it, and obviously neither are the other owners. This new rule is simply a fact that we have to live with.

Or the former mods who carry on in a manner unbenifiting their former position? You were a good RSA, I know because you were my RSA for a while and I enjoyed working with you. It's disappointing to see such a quality RSA resort to throwing out general insults. I hope you're able to put this behind you some day, and despite your low opinion of me, I hold you no ill will.

Really? All I've gotten as far as that's concerned is heresay. Never saw an apology myself.

Do you, by chance, still have MS access? If so, I'll PM you a link.

19. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I put my icon back on, because I figured the point to be made, was made within that time frame.

I haven't changed how I feel about how everything went down, and about how poorly Philip handled things from the start.

I won't make the reach to compare this situation to the Nazis...but I think perhaps a 1960s-style sit in is more appropriate. You sit, you make your point, then you either move on or get arrested.

Knowing that the users here are capable of uniting so completely on an issue to me, means more than if some of us put an icon back.

20. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002

But, Stryphe, that's not the point. The current mods got an apology. Not the ones who left. PMing a link to the thread doesn't change the fact that while PW clustered this whole situation, he didn't even have the courtesy to email or PM any of us. That's pretty rude.

As for going iconless, as Carmie said, it's really up to everyone individually. The situation over and done with. Those mods who left won't be coming back unless they give their info. The gesture is certainly appreciated, but it won't change PW's mind.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    But, Stryphe, that's not the point. The current mods got an apology. Not the ones who left. PMing a link to the thread doesn't change the fact that while PW clustered this whole situation, he didn't even have the courtesy to email or PM any of us. That's pretty rude.

This is yet another issue I have with Mr Wise. It makes his apologies hollow and empty to me. The whole thing was handled in a very crappy manor. I was taught as a child that actions speak louder than words. Wise's actions show he does not give a rat's ass about his volunteers nor does he respect the work we do in the slightest. A few well placed words a week after the fact do nothing to change his actions.

22. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012

No. As soon as we were demoted, our MS access was removed. In fact, I asked if I could keep my MS access because right before I was demoted Philip had started the "ask me questions" thread, and I had asked a question. It was removed anyways, so I never got to see the answer to my question.

None of the demoted mods have MS access, so none of us saw an apology.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    But, Stryphe, that's not the point. The current mods got an apology. Not the ones who left.

Well, two things there. First, what he apologized for was his statements he made to all mods early on in the drama. So technically it's an apology for all. The problem being he made it in the MS after those who did not submit the info were booted. As such, I can appreciate your relucants to accept it.

Secondly, I'm not making excuses for how he handled it, merely stating that in light of his apology, I choose to forgive him and would encourage others to do the same. Our results speak for themselves. The results of how PW choose to handle this was the loss of many good mods (even some who did submit their information, like KW, for example), uneasiness throughout the fanforces and the biggest drama this board has ever seen. Apologizing for something doesn't change what happened. It does not make the damage mysteriously go away. Apologizes never do, that's not their purpose. I hope, though, that a lesson has been learned and next time the owners will handle the situation better. Actually, I think there is something for all to learn, each in their own turn. If we can do that, then this situation will not have been a waste.

24. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Considering that the issue is more or less settled, Godwin's Law has been invoked, and there is not much more we can do about this at this time, I'm locking this thread now. I'll leave the "Open Letter" open for a while longer in case anything more happens, but it really is time to simply deal with things as they are.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.