main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Any link, I can find nothing locally in NY thus far -- but my guess would be either significant renter protection, or a Trump-related case.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why would New York renter protection be national?

Also, is this real?

Someone please tell me I am reading this incorrectly. Are Republicans seriously intimating they will walk away from the whole process until after the election if they don't have a deal this week, even though most of the disagreements are amongst themselves? Are they lunatics?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

From a CBS news reporter’s Twitter

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Then yes, given it's in NYC my two guesses stand. :p

Yodaminch likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Is this the proper response?

Princess_Tina likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Because it is NY which generally tends to garner a lot of national attention, and most times where NY goes, other cities/states will likely follow. If NY announces they are going to offer some type of renter protection program, other states may feel like they need to follow suit.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It’s Trump. Deutsche bank complied with a subpoena for his financial records according The NY Times

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Rylo Ken and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    It's probably going to be something about NY joining CA in it's anti-trust probe of Amazon. There were some stories about the possibility popping up earlier in the week but all of the concerned officials declined comment.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I read on Twitter it has got to do something with the NRA, also a warning not to get our hopes up that it's related to Trump/DeutschBank

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I doubt it has anything to do with Trump specifically. I think if there were any announcements on that front they'd come from the Manhattan DA's office instead of the state AG.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I wanna see what's in that bank.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Half of America does.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I wish we had more Trump supporters in this community.
    I feel the desire to have a sort of anthropological study and try to understand what can be happening in the mind of someone who is still willing to vote for him after his handling of the pandemic.
    I could make an effort and rationalize every other issue, but this one really is impossible for me to understand.

15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    More Trump supporters here?

Nah, I’m good, thanks

Rew, Alpha-Red, Glitterstimm and 7 others like this.
  16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Reddit exists to meet all your anthropological needs.

Rew, Alpha-Red, SuperWatto and 7 others like this.
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it simply comes down to them watching and listening to brainwashing everyday on Fox and radio

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, not all radio is bad. Alley Rally on the Fishbowl Radio Network is good. I enjoy going on there. But I know what you mean. There are some other shows on that station that are kinda silly. But some of them are progressive.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We’ve tried when they were more active here. Still impossible to understand.

Rew, Juliet316, Princess_Tina and 2 others like this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Lol, yeah no need for Trumpers when the Biden supporters are bad enough already! :p

21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    There are still quite a few people who will vote for Trump just by way of always voting Republican. Even a lot of moderate conservatives who might not like Trump himself but won't vote against the party. And it's likely something they wouldn't ever admit out loud, given the political climate. But at the end of the day, they'll ultimately vote Republican.

Now as far as actual Trump supporters who sport flags and wear red hats, that would certainly be interesting. I got a little bit of insight talking to an old friend of mine during the protests who was absolutely convinced that a civil war was looming, that lawlessness was abound all throughout these cities, and that Trump was doing a proper job in handling them. And yet, I was keeping close tabs on the protests myself for over a month, and I knew for a fact that none of that was true. To be honest, it was a little jarring to hear somebody being fully convinced of that when I knew with absolute certainty that none of that was actually the case. That's when I realized how much Fox News shapes their content for their viewers, and that Fox News is practically all they watch and get their information from. Which is why they think the way they think. We joke about it when we hear some right winger proclaim "they're coming for our guns" because it is so obviously ridiculous. But it's easy to forget that that's not just some slogan they like to say, it's something they actually believe.

As far as the pandemic goes, I'm not quite sure how Fox News has been portraying it or Trump's handling of it. But I can imagine there's something similar going on where they just paint things in such a way that makes Trump look favorable, and the pandemic to not be as bad as it is. Fox News is dangerous. It's not the meme network that is easy to make fun of if you don't watch it. It's where a large portion of people get their information from. And it truly shapes their thinking.

Rew and Alpha-Red like this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, that's the headline.

None of that is particularly controversial except to the people who want to outright ban the police. It wants to shift the money to community policing and mental-health personnel for PDs, rather than shifting it to a separate org outside of the PD -- but also demilitarizing police and having a Federal oversight board.

This is... roughly in line with the majority of voters who want change, but don't want to "defund the police," I believe?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Trump says a vaccine could be ready around election time :rolleyes:

24. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    lol

25. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003