main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Sometimes things are posted that require a photo. Or in my case, everything is posted and requires a photo. But that doesn't mean discussion can't happen after the pic, or before the pic... :p

Same with Twitter links.

Ghost and 3sm1r like this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think they should be excessive and I think people should usually provide commentary with them, but I am against banning Twitter posts in this thread altogether.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Exactly!! A photo, gif, link of any kind is just adding to the discussion. I don't recall this ever having been such a controversial issue, really.

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    You can be given an extraordinary exception because your gifs are so bad that they are good.

Lord Vivec, Rylo Ken and dp4m like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Don't mini-mod me. Point Given brought it up and people responded. That's how conversation works.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You mini-mod others all the time. And if the mods don't mind this discussion in this thread, then fine.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Here’s a clue - if you’re 10% of the daily JC traffic, and 1% of the discourse, maybe it’s time you raise your game?

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The JCC wish list.
    - No tweets
    - No empty thoughts and prayers posts
    - No Star Wars references
    - No dirty editing

Did I forget anything?

Or we can petition to have a new forum opened and call it Vapid Community. There you can post your tweets, bad jokes, word association, pictures, random remarks, anything that gets you through the day. And we can have our place back

9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @SuperWatto
    What's all this obsession for the word association thread? Just don't go there lol.

10. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I probably should have worded that differently, her accent is not a problem in and of itself, but I think she's just not a good public speaker. She has no emotional cadence, no emphasis, it all comes across as fake to me. It's only a problem because Trump is using her to influence media coverage, otherwise she wouldn't deserve criticism and scrutiny.

Just to be clear, it's not my intention to slut shame her, and I don't think she's in it for the sex in any case, she's in it for the money.

I agree, and this is really the crux of the issue. Is she a "hostage" or not? Either way, it seems that media is turning a blind eye to it. If she earnestly believes in supporting Trump, then that should be a problem, and if she's being intimidated into doing it, that's a problem too.

I hadn't heard of him before last night, but he seems to be a "spiritual redemption" huckster, selling his life story of finding Jesus for money. He's a scammer, imo. Here's the segment they did with him, another bizarro personality from Trump World, I timestamped it:

Ghost likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That sounds a lot to me like "Make the JCC great again".

Look, if you're opposed to things evolving over time, then let's keep the forums frozen in time without any regard to how some younger people communicate - for that matter, how any person you happen not to like personally like might communicate.

But when you constantly raise "concerns" about things that only bother you when certain people do them, but clearly don't mind when others do them, then it shows a clear double standard.

As Esmir just pointed out, the free association thread was recently targeted with some disruptive trolling by a small group of individuals. That thread has been going on for years. What caused all this concern all of a sudden? None of the regular posters were breaking any rules....

Anyway, there's more to this than simply "we want things back like they were in 2000" or whenever the Golden age supposedly happened.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    For the record, Tina, since you mentioned me, I believe that Diggy wasn't breaking any rule either, to my great amusement. "Poop" has the same legitimacy as any other word, and it's not Diggy's fault if it's something to which he happens to associate every other word.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Nevertheless, he was told to stop trolling by the mods. He was told he would be banned if he continued to post that word over and over without any regard for the rules of the thread and the fact that every thread regular had asked him to stop.
    So why don't harpua, Darth Punk and SuperWatto express the same kind of outrage towards Diggy's trolling as they do for things that the current rules allow? Do you see the obvious double standards?
    "Diggy trolling people we don't like? Fine by us!!
    People we don't like doing things that aren't against the rules? No we can't have that!!"

PCCViking and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  14. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Let the record show Twitter being banned is something I’m in favor of. Not specifically on TFN, just in general.

Lowbacca_1977 and 3sm1r like this.
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @mnjedi
    Don't worry bro, now we have Kamala fighting for us.

Princess_Tina and mnjedi like this.
  16. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I don't know if/when the information might disturb the current electoral campaign, but I'm reading in French Press that Zuckerberg has lobbied heavily with Trump since last fall to get TikTok banned, as it has begun to eat into his own profit margins (he did take hundreds of millions of dollars from their advertising campaigns in the couple of years prior). Would be an interesting tit-for-tat with how much use the GOP gets out of Facebook for its campaigns.

mnjedi and 3sm1r like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You mean it's less about "THE CHY-KNEES ARE SPYING ON US!!!1" and more about protecting the interests of American capitalists? :eek:

Rew, Ghost, Jedi Merkurian and 5 others like this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Was just going to post something similar myself since all the TikTok news I've read specifically referred to China.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Let's see these wonderful nuggets from Melania's 'inspirational' speech:
    "Like all of you, I have reflected on the racial unrest in our country. It is a harsh reality that we are not proud of parts of our history. I encourage you to focus on the future while still learning from the past."
    In other words: 'Yes, slavery was all terrible and stuff - will you please shut up about it?'

"I urge people to come together in a civil manner so we can work and live up to our standard American ideals... I also ask people to stop the violence and looting being done in the name of justice, and never make assumptions based on the colour of a person's skin."
    'When a cop shoots you seven times in the back, have you tried opening a dialogue with him?'
    What a loaded statement - she is obviously addressing the protestors and not the cops with the second half of the last sentence.

"Total honesty is what we as citizens deserve from our president. Whether you like it or not you always know what he's thinking."
    The classic bully defense - 'He's just telling it like it is.' Also, a variant on the old 'whether you love him or hate him, you have to admit he's the best ever' along with a non-sequitor: 'Whether you think he's a murderer or not, he keeps his hair nicely combed'.

Article in Endgadget about it. Apparently, Facebook had a rival product to TikTok called "Lasso"?

Rew, Nobody145, CT-867-5309 and 4 others like this.
  20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think part of the issue is just the amount and frequency of posting the tweets. Like ok, maybe occasionally they can be useful as a means to communicate something, but if that’s all your doing all the time it becomes disruptive.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm just making fun. I'm not opposed to anything. I just wish there was less of the vapid stuff you represent. It's a torrent. You're dumbing the place down. And since I've been told to accept that as fact, no harm in making fun of it now and then. I mean, look at it this way: i bother you way less than you bother me.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    My experience is that when people aren't interested in a specific idea, they will ignore a post whether it includes a link, gif, or anything else. If people are interested in the idea, they'll discuss it also no matter what.
    Anyone having a problem with a specific user can put that person on ignore. I have put many people on ignore for things that aren't against the rules, because I don't expect all the rules to be tailored to one or two people specifically.
    And then there's things that seem to make no sense to me. Harpua has frequently posted photos of Twitter links in the ****posting thread, so what is the difference between the photo and the actual link?

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol, what rules? Here's the opening post:

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    @harpua , why do you frequently post photos of Tweets in the ****posting thread if you think Twitter is so awful? You say they look terrible, but the photos you post there have the same visual characteristics, you're just not able to click on them.

In regards to the thread where Diggy was trolling and you were calling others "meth heads," you're saying that anything that's not specifically against the rules should be allowed, and you defend that? But when something rubs you the wrong way then you want to change the rules?

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That’s what the **** posting thread is for, this thread isn’t the **** posting thread though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.