main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Good Guys Wear White - The Clone Trooper Discussion Workshop - New Challenge 2/10!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kudzu, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm interested in this challenge[:D] Hopefully I can come up with something plausible though.

And Kudzu, can you add my one clone fic to the archive? Thanks!

Title: The Measure of a Man
    Author: Inara
    Time Period: RoTS
    Characters: Commander Bly, Aayla Secura
    Genre: Angst
    Keywords: Vignette
    Summary: What makes a man a more than just a man?
    Author Notes: Commander Bly's thoughts as he is about to kill Aayla Secura.

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Done! Glad you're interested. :)

3. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    So any discussion topics for us??

:D

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Oh, I suppose...

Discussion Topic 12/16/2005 - Could a clone retire from duty after the Clone Wars and go on to lead any semblence of a normal life?

5. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    I'm in for the challenge , Kudzu.

I'll do the Battle of Mon Calamari through the eyes of a Seatrooper.

6. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    I like how none of my Republic Commando vignettes are up there. :p

Yeeup. We'll help ya out, bud. :)

And I apologize for that, heh. Keep in mind, I didn't specify that anyone died; I just said something along the lines of "reducing the speeder to a flaming wreckage and flying bodies". Doesn't mean those flying bodies are dead. ;)

"It's just a little airborne, it's still good it's still good!" - Homer J. Simpson

*cracks knuckles* Challenge accepted, bud.

It's quite a convenient coincidence, actually. I'm in the middle of writing a fic involving those very first clones that come flyin' in and save Jedi booty in mere seconds. So that's something to look forward to. |-<

"No." - A-51

The clones weren't "designed" for normal lives. They were granted life to take life. Simple as that.

However, as if a cruel, sadistic twist of Nature, the clones had more developed minds than expected. They had feelings, they had their pride, and they had each other. And sadly, that's all they'll ever have, because nobody but them will ever mourn the lives of those who can be so easily replaced.

That said, a retired clone would never function in a normal society. Add accelerated growth and thousands of men who look exactly like you to the mix and you've got one individual who has to live the rest of his days reminiscing about the past and mourning his brethren.

7. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    And I apologize for that, heh. Keep in mind, I didn't specify that anyone died; I just said something along the lines of "reducing the speeder to a flaming wreckage and flying bodies". Doesn't mean those flying bodies are dead.

Oh, don't worry about it - truth be told, I thought it was hilarious.

"It's just a little airborne, it's still good it's still good!" - Homer J. Simpson

[face_laugh] True, true.

As for the discussion topic, I have to agree with Antilles completely and can't imagine it could be said any better (and yet, I'm still talking :p ). The clones were bred for war, not integrating with society. If one did retire, what kind of life could he expect? Short and miserable, I'd think. Life after the GAR would not be too kind to a clone - they'd be little more than children in the world outside of the battlefield and I doubt they'd have the patience or the foundation to function as a normal person.

They'd have to rely on their soldier skill set to make a living, whether as a weaponsmith or serving as a merc somewhere - and imagine the employer who wants to hire a guy with such hard-wired loyalty to a defunct government and obvious identity issues. Nor would they likely see the recognition of their valor and come home as local heroes respected for the Clone Wars veterancy, not with the Empire running the show. Those were the old days, where personalization of conflicts was commonplace (The Hero With No Fear, for example). Under the Empire, if it doesn't serve Palpatine's personality cult, then it's not going to happen. So you end up with a retired clone who's seen as a washed-out warrior from a "forgotten" conflict...what use is he? Why would we want any part of him? He's part of the old days - we'd rather not remember.

That said, I think it would be an excellent idea for a story that deals with a clone and his efforts - perhaps aided by an individual or two with good intentions - to lead a somewhat normal life, if a bit reclusive. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Jet Li movie Unleashed.

I'm interested in the challenge as well, though considering your innocent naval challenge spawned The Golden Siege, I'm a bit concerned about it :p

8. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Could a clone retire from duty after the Clone Wars and go on to lead any semblence of a normal life?

I don't think any life they lead could ever be called normal unless its on the battlefield. Their growth was too accelerated for them to develop any understanding of their own emotions and needs - something that clones would need to have a life of their own.

Clones were bred to fight for the Republic, so they would have a hard time living when their duties are over. It would be hard for them to live without a purpose, without any orders.

And even if they managed to have the mental stability to be able to live on their own (and here I mean to live without a purpos), I don't think they've be received very kindly. They're clones, "abominations" to most other people, so it's not like they'd be welcomed into the local village.

9. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    There's a joke as old as time, see. "Don't grow up too fast!" Only it's not always really a joke.

To a clone, it wouldn't be particularly funny at all. They're just aging faster every second; probably the growth acceleration at the start of their life is 150% of normal, speeding up gradually as the clone ages (this explains the chronological/biological age gap of the clone commando quoted in RC:HC, can't remember which chapter, retired and living at Imperial Center). They aren't supposed to need to catch up with themselves.

Which, if you think about it, might be the partial cause of Spar's clone madness [face_thinking]

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    The archive has been updated with Brant_Flir's Lance Flir fanfiction series.

11. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005

12. Antilles2001

Oct 20, 2001
    But what would those things be? As I said, the faster aging, the other duplicates of yourself, etc. makes for a bad resume for any sort of career.

The only thing I can think of is a job in some police force.

13. Antilles2001

Oct 20, 2001
    Hmm... [face_thinking]

That does seem pretty cool. I bet if I ever did it, I'd end up using one of Kudzu's OCs again. [face_laugh]

EDIT - Double post, sorry. :oops:

14. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    That's not any better for the poor guys. They're still dispensing order, and to a lesser extent, justice, on someone else's terms. It's still not like leading their own life.

:_|

I would imagine that aged clone troopers had a high suicide rate. Or they'd find a way to go out gloriously. I don't see them chilling in retirement homes, at any rate.

15. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I guess you're right about that. They couldn't get any more than that, they're just not made for other jobs but fighting.

Remeber Jag (or was it Fox?): he wanted to be become Journeyman Protector once the war was over. Well, that's something like a governor on a Mandalorian colony planet, and in case he's the only clone on the planet, I think it could work.

Maybe clones could become farmers, or mercs, or policemen, or freighter-pilots, or else... there are quite a few things clones can do, and after all, one clone is not equal to another clone. Each has his own expertises, his own specialities. And, take Spar, he made himself a pretty (in)famous man as Mandalore the Ressurector - but, that's only because he had such an indivuality, his freakyness for Mando culture and history.

That's just why I think ARCs and such have a higher chance to get on in life, even tho they all grow up too fast - what does not stop them from being active, take trooper Able.

My opinion is, that clones with quite an own personality have a chance in after-war-life, but only for the hard jobs, like mentioned above - I can hardly image a clone becoming masseur, buisnessman, florist or gardener (well, latter apart from Gree :p)

and Antilles, how can you dare to spam in this thread?[face_shame_on_you]

16. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Corran: Remember, OCs for the challenge ;) Feel free to use Fordo in some capacity, though, of course.

Antilles: This would be your chance to do that one clone from Episode II's tragic story. :)

17. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Copy that. Maybe I'm gonna rethink my topic, then. Well, will see ;)

18. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm trying to think of a non cheesy clone trooper name. It's harder than I thought. :oops:

19. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Here's a hint: CT-###/#### :D

20. Rosh_Penin

Rosh_Penin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    *Pokes head through the door*

Hi!

The only way I could see a clone trooper living a *semblance* of a normal life is ... with other clone troopers. Now, on one hand they might try to run from their clone nature and become solitary individuals, but on the other hand the bonds forged by war and by their shared genetics run very deep. A small group of, say, four or five clones could set up shop somewhere, perhaps running a business of some sort. In effect, creating a replacement unit for themselves. It wouldn't necessarily be close to a normal life, but it might be the best they'd get.

21. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Given what clone trooper Able has done for a second career in the Empire series, I'd say that the clones are pretty capable of moving on after their service. The idea that they are wedded to the GAR/Empire until death may fade once they've gotten older and a bit more jaded. We've seen it with at least two ARCs and one regular-force trooper, and the Medstar duology shows regular troops cutting loose a bit with their emotions. So while the regulars might be more docile and obedient, they still have "Factor H" brewing upstairs.

Hopefully someday I'll get about to writing up a fanfic clone campaign of my own, so far I've got a cast of ARCs, RCs, commanders, regulars, irregulars, Intel spooks, and the odd Jedi. Now, how to string it out?

22. Antilles2001

Oct 20, 2001
    By partnering up with Kudzu and I. :p

23. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    I'll take a shot at this challenge! My freetime looks promising for the next few weeks.:) Hello fellow Commandos! I'm glad there's a thread out here for us!

24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Could a clone retire from duty after the Clone Wars and go on to lead any semblence of a normal life?

I can't remember the episode name, but there was a Star Trek:TNG episode that dealt with a similar topic. The government of a planet decided to breed super soldiers for war. When the war was over, they either treated to the engineered soldiers as pariah or proceeded to exterminate them. Very interesting topic of debate, cloning. I don't agree with cloning humans, but food and animals, maybe.

But, I think clone troopers could integrate into society. They are bread for war, but they are also able to make decisions and confer in an intelligent manner. I have a feeling they could learn social integration.

25. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I wrote a short story about cloning in the future on Earth a few months back...seriously, not a smart thing to do. Same with genetic engineering. That's just playing with something way too dangerous for people to screw around with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.