main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Looking at the picture now makes me laugh about how technology has changed. My Iphone has more computer power than an entire Star Destroyer. :p

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Yes, but they didn't use Star Destroyers to ban people from Internet boards.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Lol, I meant how did the Earth humans working on ESB make the computers. Like how the E-11 was a modified Sterling submachine gun.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Did Luke Skywalker know that his grandma was buried on the homestead??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably. No reason to keep that a secret.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think there is a very good reason to hide that fact from Luke. It would generate a lot of unconfortable questions for Beru and Owen about what happened. For the same reason they hid the truth about Obi Wan, there is no way they wanted to answer the question of "what happened."

I have never been clear of this myself, but was Mrs. Skywalker's body moved from the Lars homestead before A New Hope or was it stlll there?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Sith Lord 2015 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Killed by Tusken Raiders, people that Luke is aware of being dangerous. Luke doesn't need to know much else (well, as far as Owen and Beru know, there isn't much else to tell).

Not comparable with Obi-Wan, which does bring about who Anakin really was and what he did, and Owen didn't want Luke following his father's footsteps with Obi-Wan.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    How do you pronounce Executor. Executor as in execution or executor as in executor of a will.

Also when they blew up the Executor in ROTJ did ILM have a model to explode or did they just composite an explosion ontop of it?

9. Rainbow Serpent

Rainbow Serpent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2018
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread is for questions about the Classic Trilogy, questions which have a straight answer and do not need their own thread.

Do not post your complaints here again.

@Bazinga'd @cubman987

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that model-making is expensive, it makes sense that they'd use the "composite an explosion" option wherever possible. It certainly looks like a composite - fire billowing up from the Death Star, but no obvious "bits flying away from the Executor", even when watched frame by frame.

12. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    This is and remains a rather enigmatic behind-the-scenes image, because all monitor setups aboard Executor were parallel to the central gangway (which equally applies for the control deck and the radar room scene with the bounty hunters).

The above image is either an alternate setup in the crew pit for the radar room scene OR a scene with Kenneth Colley (Piett) shot in the crew pit of Needa's Avenger (but with Executor Bridge actors!) for an alternate version of the final moments of ESB (i.e. "Alert all commands. Ready for the tractor beam"), i.e. where he was actually in a different crew pit aboard Executor (instead of just looking down at a mirror-inverted / flopped shot of Avenger's crew pit which is what ended up in the film).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Does anybody know the exact dates that filming took place for the 3 individual Star Wars films in the classic trilogy?
    Much appreciated everyone!

14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to "Got a Question thread".

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    has anyone seen this new SW Archives book ?
    I basically want to know if the pics have been mostly published elsewhere because it is rather expensive to take a chance on .

16. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Should be readily available online. If not, the "Making Of" books call out the months filming was done at the very least.

Matty20172018 likes this.
  17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Maybe inhabitants of the SW universe simply didn't put that much importance on computers. They are important in our world, but not necessarily so in a fictional one. They had intelligent robots for many jobs, battle droids, droid fighters, and an organization of highly skilled elite fighters that also acted as government advisers. They have lots of other technology, so maybe there simply was no need or interest in playing online games, use social networks or google something?

18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Oh God, I just imagined Kylo Ren on Twitter:

“No one understands me! I’m being torn apart!”

“Uncle Luke tried to kill me in my sleep! Snoke was right!”

“The girl escaped! This pissed me off so much I destroyed the console.”

“Told the girl her parents sold her for booze, that she was nothing. Heh, that’ll get her to join my side!”

“Hugs (or whatever his name is) is a phony leader! Don’t believe his words!”

“Saw my dad’s old ship. GRRRRRR!!”

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    IrB, Iron_lord and DarthIshyZ like this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Kylo Trump? :p

20. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015
    if the dark side real evil, why darth vader is the most popular character than others? not even obi van and yoda is loved that much by the people who watched the movie.

21. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    "Quicker, easier, more seductive."

22. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    [face_thinking] A very good question... Some radom hypotheses:
    • Characters that change and develop are often the most interesting and loved in a movie or in a book. Luke and Vader are the characters that change more during the movies and so the mostly loved. Vader's change is even more dramatic than Luke's.
    • Until the second part of ROTJ, Vader shows no sign of weakness and people like mostly very strong characters
    • But, after all, even his weakness is strong, since he is the only character that can overcome 20 years of dark side...
    • Plus, his weakness is comforting for the audiance, since his weakness is basically his love for his son and coming to this...
    • ...maybe oedipal iusses are more common than we think and, since audiance follow the OT story by Luke's point of view, it is just natural that Vader draws attention. Vader provide a villain that is scaring, but just to some point, since he can't go on to the very end with his own son and the OT put us in said son's point of view: so Vader is both an interesting villain, but a somehow comforting one
    • A lot of people feel some attraction for the evil
    • I guess everybody of us dreamt at least in his own life to be allowed to choke someone who had disappointed us a lot and Vader provides an example over and over again (this is basically a softer, but more common version of the previous point, I think)
    • Cool armour (ok, the armour is a kind of torture for the character, but outside he looks great and invincible)
    Well, that came in my mind... maybe it is a mix of all points. Or maybe has someone a better explanation? The question is really intriguing.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No explanation is required. The question is a non sequitur. Evil characters can be popular. One thing doesn't exclude the other.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    In some sense, I agree, but I guess it's always useful wonder why a plot or a character works well. In answering to that, we can always learn something new and useful about what makes a story interesting for the reader or the audiance. That's why I think it's an intringuing question.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sure, but that was not what he asked. He implies that evil precludes popularity.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019