main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Because unlike with Luke, Vader doesn't have any connection to Han. Or should I say, attachment?

DARTHLINK and V-2 like this.
  2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Compassion and attachment are not mutually exclusive. Of course Vader/Anakin was attached to Luke. It's a basic biological impulse to preserve ones own offspring, to preserve ones own genetic survival. It's why we have kin selection and nepotism (and probably why we have tribalism and racism, but that's a digression for another thread).

Vader made it clear that he wanted to team up with Luke to defeat the Emperor and rule the galaxy together as father and son. That's attachment right there. Kin selection is compassion for your kin, which is also biological attachment.

If compassion is the opposite of attachment (which it seriously isn't), then Vader saving rando#1138 would be truly compassionate and selfless. Preserving the survival of 50% of your own genes is not completely selfless. It might look superficially altruistic but it's not.

3. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Vader saves Luke because deep down he loves him. As the Episode II poster put it: "A Jedi shall not know anger. Nor hatred. Nor love."

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly. He doesn’t care about Han. He cared about Luke both for being his son and being a tool he could use to overthrow Palpatine and rule the galaxy.

And let’s remember the very reason he turned: to stop people he loved from dying. Well here we have someone he cares about dying in front of him.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    MeBeJedi and V-2 like this.
  5. EmuBay

EmuBay Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    My young niece asked if it's the spirit of Obi Wan that physically passes to another realm, and Vader only slices through an empty robe, then why doesn't Sir Alec appear naked as ghost Kenobi?

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Young kids never cease to amaze (and sometimes embarass) me.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Interesting. So Vader's attachments made him turn and then turn back.

BlackRanger likes this.
  8. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Getting back to Jabba, it would be interesting to know who he hired in the days of the Old Republic that was able to kill so many Jedi that came after Jabba's interests with such ease that Jabba treats a possible Jedi with dismissal in ROTJ.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    According to some unused dialogue, Jabba did it himself: "I was killing your kind back when being a Jedi meant something." So it seems he himself was killing Jedi great and small.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    DarthIshyZ and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Yes, he possibly smothered Jedi with his slug slime ;)

11. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Given how slimy he is, probably just a little would be deadly.

12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    What do you think Jabba smells like?

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    like Bantha poodoo.
    does Salicious Crumb have a girlfriend?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Considering that the energy required to destroy a planet like Earth is equal to the energy output of the sun for a week it really makes one wonder about the Empire's power source for the Death Star.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought I read somewhere that the source of power were those crystals that power lightsabers?

16. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Kyber crystals. Which will never not be hilarious to me, as the name derives from the Khyber Pass, whose fame as part of British imperialism in India & Afghanistan has led to "khyber (pass)" becoming Cockney rhyming slang for one's bottom.

Rather puts the Sith making their red lightsabers with "bleeding" kyber crystals in a new light.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    So you're saying Sith have prostate troubles?

18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Or maybe they just like to have a gay old time.

19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Bloody hell we're talking about bleeding anuses and you go straight for the prostate? Hemorrhroids are far more likely to bleed than a gland. JFC.

If anyone is bleeding after having a gay old time, you are doing it so, so wrong.

20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    This conversation is revolting. I'm not participating any more.

21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah let's just move on to something else please.

22. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Darth Vader would not stop his pursuit of power for Padmé. He wanted her to join him, same as Luke. It was more of a possession and power thing than love. Luke, like Padmé refuses to join him and so he is forced to kill him, something he realizes he cannot do. So it is compassion, even though it’s his son and the last remnant of Padmé, that incurs him to sacrifice his life and his power to save Luke from Palpatine.

I think that’s why Vader gives up the hunt for Luke after ESB. Luke refused to join him so he has to kill him now but a part of Anakin remains so he can’t and that aspect is at conflict with the power craving he also has.

Why do you think Vader unenthusiastically replies to Palpatines inference that he wants to continue his search for Luke? “Yes master..” and it’s why Vader sounds horrified when Palpatine tells him Luke will come to him. He doesn’t think he can kill him. Something Kylo Ren saw as a weakness and why his path to ultimate power failed and so as per Snokes manipulation and guidance he goes further than Vader ever did by overcoming his hesitation to kill his own kin. He finished what he started. Of course he later has trouble killing his mom so it’s interesting to note the parallels between the Skywalker men all having a strong bond with their mothers. Anakin took his first step towards the dark side by avenging his beloved mother, Luke reflects on his lost mother before he goes to redeem his father and Kylo is unable to kill his mother.

Another interesting thing to note is how Vader stops Luke from killing Palpatine in anger. He was aware that killing the unarmed Dooku was not the Jedi way and another major step to the dark side, something he wants Luke to avoid so he prevents him from killing Palpatine. Of course we see Luke hasn’t mastered his own anger and only avoided taking that crucial step towards the dark side because Anakin/Vader stepped in. Luke having a fleeting moment in wanting to kill Kylo makes more sense when reflecting on this. So I’d say Vader preventing Luke from killing Palpatine was rooted in love for his son and learning from the wisdom he gained from his own moral failings.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
  24. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    In ANH, after leaving Tattoine, what happened to the crew of the Tantive IV? Were they killed/executed?

25. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    The lower level ones were likely spaced / executed. The higher level ones were likely interrogated and maybe kept for hostage exchanges.

BlackRanger likes this.