main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015
    after return of the jedi I've started to wonder why stormtroopers wear armor? they cant shoot properly with the helmet, armor doesnt defend them even from fuzzballs (ewoks) so what is the point of armor?

canuckmuse and DarthIshyZ like this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Better than nothing, and sometimes inpractical and ineffective uniforms have a symbolic purpose.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  3. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    better than which notting? even a midget teddy bear can attack with a wooden stick so which notting?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd say fear factor is a big part of both the stormtrooper armor and the First Order armor in the ST.

Bazinga'd and Iron_lord like this.
  5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Also, as to the "eye slit" I believe Mandalorian technology actually gives them a better view of the battlefield.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The old "Steel pot" helmets worn by American Soliders for generations were useless in stopping anything more than an indirect low-energy blast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Iron_lord and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    this is today's technology, stormtroopes wears (At least) future's technology. something should be different

8. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Yup. Future weapons, too.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  9. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    ewoks hardly future weapons man.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  10. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    True, but put a helmet on your head and have some teddy bear hit you on the head with a rock. It'll still bug the **** outta you.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think there is an assumption here that furtue technology works better than old fashioned stuff. Not true at all In fact sometimes it works worse.

Iron_lord and DarthIshyZ like this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    To be fair, do we know how strong an Ewok is? I mean, if we assume they’re at least as strong as an adult human then they should be able to do some damage.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What’s with The Emperor having “royal” guards and Luke addressing him as “your highness”?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While traditionally, "Emperor" is one step above "King" - I could see King-related titles applying. It's not like royal addresses are always consistent from royal family to royal family.

"Your Highness" is applied to Kings almost as often as "Your Majesty" or "Your Grace" are.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Emperor Ferus and DarthIshyZ like this.
  15. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    An Emperor is traditionally considered a sort of "super-king", so "your highness" makes sense.

"Royal Guard" is probably to avoid redundancy. "Watch out! It's the Emperor's Imperial Guard!"

DarthIshyZ and Iron_lord like this.
  16. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Aren’t Emperors still royalty? Granted they’re a step above as you said, they’re still considered the elite class.

I just figured that royal addresses like “Your Grace/Highness/Majesty/Eminence” was standard practice when addressing someone that high up in the social ladder. Hell, the Chinese used to call their leader ‘Son of the Heavens’.

17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Emperor is a political position, rather than a birth right.

18. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    "Your Grace" is used for dukes, who are nobles but not on the level of kings. And "Your Eminence" is for cardinals in the Catholic Church. This stuff can get weirdly complicated.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It used to be used for kings. Henry VIII was the first English king to insist on "Majesty" instead of "Grace".

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I did not know that. I appreciate the history lesson.

BlackRanger, Iron_lord and DarthIshyZ like this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Gosh. You'd think the guy had a superiority complex or something. "I will not be called the same title as a common Duke or Earl." :rolleyes:

BlackRanger and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't know it either until I read a few historical novels. :D

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I always took Luke addressing Palps as "Your Highness" to be done in a mocking tone. Luke has a little smirk on his face when he says it. Almost like saying you may see yourself as royalty, but no one else does. So when you put in the entire context of that moment, "You have failed, Your Highness", puts it along the lines of Luke saying not only have you failed at turning me to the dark side, but you have failed in your quest to become royalty.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    True. The Roman Emperors would ‘adopt’ heirs to take over, but it wasn’t necessarily ‘OK, I got biological child and he’s gonna be the leader when I die because birth rights.’

Well, he was a king, and they often had the idea of ‘Divine Right to Rule’. :p

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  25. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    When Leia appears at the Ewoks' village (while Han and Luke are going to be grilled), she wears a very nice woman dress that has little to do with a combat uniform. Since the kind of mission they are into, it's hard to image that in her sack she has carried such a dress for changing and the dress is also quite untypical for her status. On the other hand, it's also strange that Ewoks can have stockpile of ladies' dress just in case. So, I wonder where the dress comes from. Does anyone know if there is any explanation about that dress in novelizations or other books?