main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Interesting point. I have always wondered who ran logistics for them, and who was supplying them while the Empire ran everything else in the galaxy.

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Most equipment is designed to operate in a range of temperatures that is comfortable (or at least livable) to the people using the equipment. Building things that still function in extreme environments adds a layer of complexity and cost to the project. There's no need to add to the expense by making a vehicle that can operate at a hundred below zero or a million above when the people who will be using it won't go to those extremes. We certainly could build them to work in insanely hot or cold environments, but there's usually no reason to, and the costs aren't worth the effort.

So for the snowspeeders, I'd guess they were built for regular people on temperate planets, and that the cold on Hoth was a little past their regular limits. They probably ran into problems like the frozen O-rings that caused the shuttle Challenger to explode.

3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Had Lucas always envisioned Vader to be a man in a walking iron lung, or did that come later? Was Vader originally supposed to be some sort of android?

4. DashRendar07

DashRendar07 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2022
    Why were ion cannons (such as the one on Hoth in ESB) not used on board capital ships? Is there any in-universe or other reasons for this? I know they were in TCW, but it seems to be a large plot hole as space battles would have been completely different.

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I would guess size and power generation limitations. Today, we cant put big lasers on aircraft because of the power requirements for even a fairly small laser. Think about what it would require for that big-arse ION canon on Hoth.

Sarge and Vialco like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Legends and Newcanon both take the approach that some ISD guns are actually ion cannons (the rearmost turret in the main broadside of an ISD-1, which is shaped differently from the other 3).

[​IMG]

We don't see them firing though. Possibly they're smaller and less battle-defining than the Hoth gun.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Sarge, Vialco and DarthIshyZ like this.
  7. DashRendar07

Aug 15, 2022
    That's my question then, if they have them why don't they use them in the OT? In TCW the Malevolence had a massive ion cannon that that disabled multiple ships at once.. and that was 20+ year old tech compared to ESB.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep in mind that the one on the Malevolence is massive. Regular size ion cannons aren't necessarily nearly as capable.

Sarge and DarthIshyZ like this.
  9. DashRendar07

Aug 15, 2022
    Why not have a new Malevolence type ship then? It seems like a no-brainer and the Empire at least would have the money and resources..

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    After funding two planet size battle stations, not to mention massive sized fleets, I am not sure that the Empire was not cash poor with a questionable credit rating.

Sarge, BlackRanger and DarthIshyZ like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Vader was always human, though he wasn't always a walking iron lung - in early concepts his mask was a breathing mask worn specifically for boarding the rebel ship at the beginning. (Ditto the stormtroopers, IIRC.)

12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Ah, and that likely changed during the writing as even on the Death Star, he still wore that suit.

13. BobaFettHunter39

BobaFettHunter39 Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2022
    How did Jabba put Leia in her costume

Jedi Bluth and DarthIshyZ like this.
  14. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I think that's pretty obvious.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    Disregard the question

Subtext Mining likes this.
  16. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    what do you mean?

17. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Well, how does anyone get dressed?

18. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    Explain your theory in depth

19. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    @BobaFettHunter39, I think it was an attempt at a suggestive or double-entendre type of comment. If I were you, I'd just let it go. The joke went over like a lead balloon.

20. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    Sorry what joke?

21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Exactly. I'll discuss it with you in PM. We don't need to clutter up this thread with it any more.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  23. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    She got changed in Sy Snootle’s dressing room. And to make sure she didn’t escape Ree-yees kept an eye on her.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Are there any drafts of ANH’s script in which Vader doesn’t wear his mask 24/7?

25. Nando Bread

Nando Bread Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2022
    Why do storm troopers have bad armor?