main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, we're getting a precursor to Batman with Bruce Wayne putting on a crime fighting outfit and Selina taking another step to being Catwoman.

Harley Quinn better show up this season, since she rumored/teased to be in last season's finale episode.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I might have missed something but when and where did Bruce suddenly learn how to fight?

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Over the last three years of the show?

WTF?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    The tone I can't support. The message is correct. Alfred, himself, has been training Bruce. Sometimes by getting his own ass kicked as example of short-term loss for long-term gain.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Alfred's lessons shouldn't be enough to teach Bruce how to defeat several opponents simultaneously with his bare fists. It seems like the show is suddenly jumping into Batman without considering the long years of training abroad it took Bruce to become Batman.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  6. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    He's probably going to have had some "study abroad" time between seasons.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So, I read this before actually seeing the episode, and now it makes even less sense.

He fought two people, not several. He's been on patrol for three months. There is nothing to suggest either of the thugs he defeated were adept at hand to hand combat. They were also caught somewhat by surprise. He went from being shown defeating one person three months earlier, to two now. It's not a valid complain at all.

Anyway, I really liked the episode, and a few highlights were:

The gang leader. At the beginning when he had his mask on, I thought to myself, "he sounds and looks like Steve Buscemi, but he wouldn't do Gotham." And he didn't. But his brother did.

Zsazz is just excellent.

I liked Bruce disappearing on Jim, that was nice.

I like how they handled The Scarecrow. I also like the kid playing him, he was excellent in Netflix's Ozark.

I really enjoy this show more than the other DC stuff, but then WB. Although surprising from Fox.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "This gentlemen, however, have a permit. Mazel tov!"

I was cackling, and I'm home sick in bed!

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, last season Bruce Wayne trained with that Shaman guy, and IIRC, he was a member of the League of Assassins under Ras Al' Guh.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy the season premiere and like the subtitle for this season, A Dark Knight. The Scarecrow looks pretty cool too.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Great pop with the Scarecrow final shot, didn't know they were going Full Scarecrow so that's awesome. The show is still awash with multiple plotlines all at once and character relationships but I kind of dig it that way. Any more Zazz is a good thing and Penguin is continually amusingly crazy. I'm okay with Gordon being a put upon cop and I hope they don't go superpowered crazy person like the last finale. Bruce already pulling disappearing tricks is kind of awesome. And I loved how we got "Batman crashing through a skylight" but it was really just cuz Bruce leaned on it too much and now he's captured by the cops.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I spent the weekend finishing season 3. I had dropped off right after Barnes was captured. So it was quite the catch-up. The one consistent thing about this show is how awesome Harvey Bullock is and how badass Alfred remains. I feel like Jim just gets pushed into whatever plot the writers need and he's far too intense compared to the more quiet yet assertive Commissioner Gordon we know. He needs to start making that transition. Also either reading glasses or a mustache starting. If Bruce can start disappearing on meetings, Jim needs to start growing some facial hair. Mustache Begins needs to happen by the end of this season.

As to the rest- What was the point of Fish? I feel like the writers brought her back and then realized they did not need her. Which frankly describes so much of her character arcs in general. Ed and Oswald make a great odd couple but the constantly trying to kill each other got old fast. Someone needs to call Fries Freeze so we can end the ridiculous "Mr. Fries". I also don't like how dumb they keep making Ivy (who needs to adopt the name Pamela Isley sooner than later as the Ivy Pepper name is cringeworthy) Ivy is a brilliant botanist and right now, the show makes her an airhead at times. Yes, she basically went through the equivalent of the movie "Big", but she shouldn't be stupid either. As to the Court- big buildup but little payout. Kathryn in particular lost all power the minute they showed who she answered to- and you knew she was as good as dead then. As to Jerome- it was interesting and the use of a more recent joker depiction was a bold choice- but it also just felt like a Heath Ledger impression at times.

My biggest issue though is what the writers have done to the character of Leslie Thompkins. The comics version would never have injected herself. That whole plot was idiotic. But I really don't see how she becomes the Dr. Thompkins that Bruce depends on. The writers did the character a disservice there if she never returns.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Morena Baccarin was listed on the cast for the S4 premiere and I have no idea how they're going to bring Leslie back, unless they marry her off to another mobster or something. Baccarin was at her best when she was infected and crazy, though, even though I didn't think it worked for Gordon but she was definitely having fun with it. More of that!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I won't deny that Baccarin had fun with it and was good at it. My issue is that it doesn't fit the character of Leslie Thompkins as we knew her both in the comics and this show. For a very strong character who has been shown as incredibly smart and good to just inject herself (after seeing how crazy Barnes was and how nuts Jervis is), it did not work for me. Frankly, it would have been 10 times more to her credit if LESLIE was the one who developed the vaccine. If she had stolen the blood sample to create the vaccine, it would have fit her character better and given her a stronger arc I feel. That's why I thought she had stolen it in fact. So was a bit disappointed there.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think they just portraying her as a broken woman. But we already have that with Barbara.

So yeah, I prefer your idea, minchy.

16. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I accepted long ago that we're seeing a new universe loosely based on the old. After all, if this was the same universe, Barbara Keene would be married to Jim and be June Cleaver.

I'm more upset with the characters, at this point, if they're not different. The Joker, for instance. I feel he's channelling Heath Ledger and I don't like it.

Edit: For Fish, I think they looked at her as a tool in Penguin's arc. They needed her again and brought her back. She never really used her powers. Just goes to show how little the writers thought of her.

17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Shouldn't Bruce be in, I don't know, maybe... school?

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Alfred is his private tutor.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Bruce's proto-Batman outift is a tad unfortunate cuz it reminds me of Zed from Pulp Fiction but the few bits of Ras Al Ghoul that have shown up have been downright crackerjack.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Waited until I had a number of episodes to binge. Just finishing the 4th and enjoying the hell out of this season.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i totally didn't know what was coming with Butch.

22. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    They probably just wanted to keep the actor and not the character. The actor now has three names.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah there's been a surprising amount of pep in the start of this season, they seem to have a handle on the zaniness of it which keeps things zippy and they can turn it into epic Fate of Gotham Darkness on a dime. Bruce going full Billionaire Playboy to buy the knife was fantastic. The Ras stuff has been pretty great (which isn't hard when you got Alexander Siddig who can make a meal outta anything) and some good twists there in episode 4. And I think Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin may have one of my favourite line deliveries of the Fall 2017 Season

"Penn, item #4 on my 'To Do' list?"
    "'Kill Sofia Falcone.'"
    "Add a question mark, will ya?"