main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    With this being the final season of Gotham, it's fitting the latest TV spot is put to a soundtrack saying, "This is the end."

Looks like we're getting another Harley Quinn type of character and Scarecrow looks pretty cool and has his own gang.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This looks quite good.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Luke02 like this.
  4. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Is 5 seasons optimal for a drama? I know of three shows off my head that did 5 seasons.
    • Breaking Bad
    • Babylon 5
    • Of course this one.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Person of Interest.

But, generally, five seasons was optimal because 100 episodes was the syndication cut-off which in a 22-episode season would be mid-S5. Nowadays I think the syndication order is approximately 80ish?

DarthIshyZ and heels1785 like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the wire needs to be atop this list

certainly atop babylon 5

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nothing is atop Babylon 5, c'mon man... why you gotta be that way...

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  9. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Two votes for B5 atop The Wire. But I'd have to put Breaking Bad above B5.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cool premiere episode, they started the body count early. The cast seems less sprawling as it was the past few seasons but I think that's almost entirely due to the fact with No Man's Land they can block off chunks of the city for a guest star / storyline and focus down on that because several of last season's cliffhangers weren't even mentioned again. Penguin seems crazier than usual which is saying something.

Luke02 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  11. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I don't like how the kid runs. Very lanky (which he is, true). But not the way I'd see Bats run.

I liked the episode, too. Came into the new season with a bang!

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michelle
    [​IMG]

Camren
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  13. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Just watched the last show. Take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I dug it a lot, Harely Quinn as a cultist, Selina going full crazy Catwoman the mutant leader all in one shot!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  15. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Agree with that. Just the futility of establishing Haven and then *BOOM*.

Yeah.

**** this. Blow it all to hell.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    RIP Valleska. Again. How stickable is this death?

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Brilliant as always.

And am I crazy, or was that a tip of the hat to Batman 89 at the end there?

18. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I thought Valleska's death was a bit cheap. All this buildup just to have him shiv'ed. And so many times. Didn't he have bodyguards with the guts to step in?

19. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Back in the days of Star Trek it was 100 episodes, but they may have had 30+ per season. Trek had 29+26+24–only 79, but got syndicated, where it rewrote history. After that 4x25 was the standard. TNG and DS9 were syndicated from the get go and the former rewrote history. Coyager and Enterprise were UPN and the latter had 98 episodes over 4 seasons.

Even before Netflix network TV has seen seasons drop to like 16, so does the 4 season rule still hold regardless of total number of episodes.

Netflix Japan premiered in 2017 and Gotham still is stick on only 3 seasons.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    25 episodes has never been the norm for US television; it's been (typically) 13-episode short seasons or 22-episode fill seasons as a general rule.

Shows that were already syndicated (i.e. Star Trek The Next Generation which started in syndication for first run -- check your local listings!) didn't have to follow network broadcast norms and could do whatever they wanted, hence 26-episodes for them per season except the writers' strike season (2).

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but streaming services have thrown the syndication "rules" out the window. Example: Firefly. 14 episodes. One season. You can watch the whole thing, plus the wrap-up movie in a weekend. All from Hulu.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Firefly was a 13-episode order + a pilot, which is normal. As it ran on FOX. As is also normal, they only aired the pilot plus 10 episodes (3 didn't air until later) due to low ratings and it was pulled.

The streaming services can do whatever they want, of course, but shockingly -- some are run like a network TV show (mostly by people who ran network TV shows). For example, the Marvel shows are 13-episode seasons.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So I picked a random episode of this. Selena is in the hospital paralyzed from the waist down.

It seems like her injuries are the most reliable marker of a season event. Has anyone been so constantly stabbed, drowned, shot, and pushed off of buildings? Sisyphus has taken less abuse than this woman. Ye gods.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Eh, she's taken the Barbara Gordon/Killing Joke role -- but that's already undone to give her the actual Catwoman "powers"...

25. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    It used to be a lot more. Please check under Season in the link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_show

I think the Rick Berman era in ST always began and ended with 2-hour films, the last episode of Enterprise being an exception, and these 2 films counted as 2 episodes.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    DarthIshyZ likes this.