main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, Bane! didn't see that one coming! Although they gave him Bane's prison origin in a monologue while he was kicking the bejesus outta Gordon. Anyway, best bit was Harvey actually knowing a bird went extinct because he wrote a paper about it in high school and got in trouble for it.

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I think the paper was pennance for getting in trouble, but I liked that nifty detail too!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, what is it with Jaime Murray showing up in the last season to be the Big Bad to genre TV shows?

4. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    IMO, bringing in new villains at the end gives the implication that "it keeps going on and on and on..."

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So Jermone is Our Gotham Joker now, right? Like all official-like? I get the feeling he'll be in the coma until waking up in episode 11 to be in the series finale. anyway, they went full joker origin which I loved and he was So Damn Creepy about wanting to be a part of Bruce's life like a possessed fanboy. So does Jerome wake up and not remember who Bruce is so he can't connect him to Batman or he does connect him to Batman but just doesn't care.

That aside, favourite part:
    "Oh, look! He's swimming ashore!"
    *BOOM*

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah, Oswald was great in that scene. Also loved the end with Oswald, Ed and Barbara.

"Who's the father?"
    "Shut up!"

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That was an incredibly good performance by the gal who played Jane Doe on Gotham, oddly very stirring and emotional. That whole plot (with, y'know, a shapeshifter) actually seemed to be a bit more of a S1 cop drama style with Bullock regretting his old cop sins. On thing I find on this season that at 12 episodes they seem to set each episode as sort of closing the door on some character drama that has been hanging around since the start. Hell, even Victor Zazz got his own episode (and he was great! That reach for the gun while he was considering it was hilarious). I wouldn't say that Scarface is exactly a classic Batman villain but anyone who watched TAS remembered him so it was fun to see him and Penguin and Ed in the more manic comedy crime drama craziness that is more of the shows later seasons. Not too miffed they killed him off in his one appearance this close to the end. And was the guy in the sewers supposed to be Killer Croc origins? Cuz that's what I'm thinking.

Oh and watching the episode there's a full on shot continuity error when Gordon is talking to Barbra, when she walks into the station talking about what she heard in front of the office/bullpen (she's wearing a fur coat), on the front shot she has her hand over her stomach and in the reverse shot with Gordon's reactions her hands are at her sides and it bounces back and forth. To be fair, that's one of the first glaring shot continuity errors I've noticed in, like, five years.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    “Gal”

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Gotham is my dream superhero show. How brilliant was this episode. And then it’s off for three weeks, before the final two episodes?

[face_plain]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not connected to Gotham but it is by the same people behind Gotham:

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Pennyworth actually looks pretty decent. I don't believe Epix is carried by DirecTV, so I won't be able to watch this show unless it appear on the DC streaming service at some point, which I'll probably sign up before the end of this year.

So, there's been a big character reveal for the final episodes of Gotham which is not a coincident that:
    it dropped on April Fool's Day.

I think it was good that every season the show was on the brink of being cancelled as it allowed the showrunners to take chances and have so many "jump the shark" like moments.

I think Barbara will die, and Lee and James will name the baby Barbara in honor of her and keeping inline with the comic books.

I hope we see Bruce in the Batsuit and it longer and better than when Clark put on the Superman suit at the end of Smallville.

BigAl6ft6, DarthIshyZ and Diggy like this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, Epix isn’t on Directv, but they do offer a streaming service for a few $$ a month. I may get it for one month just for Pennyworth, once all eps are out.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    bit of a wait for the final two episodes, no idea why Fox is hanging them back that long, but the end of that last episode was pretty jaw dropping. Bane turned out to be much better on screen than in the images that first leaked. Very close to Dark Knight Rises Bane. Although he's so much better as Bane than that whatever cop he was all season. Wish they had brought him in sooner.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Le sigh.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That was a really cool series finale of Gotham. the city actually stood up for itself. And Riddler and Penguin's hug holding knives to each other's back was a really fun representation of their relationship. Even though next week is the series finale but there's a time skip and Bruce is finally Batman so that makes the final episode next week technically an epilogue.

different actress cast for Catwoman in the last episode, darnit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    The kid isn't the one in the cape and cowl is he?

Agreed on the rest!

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think they'll be some movie magic / body doubles for our Batman but I believe they are going to make it look like David Mazouz is the guy. May be something as simple as a closeup of his face putting on / taking off the mask.

Luke02 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  18. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    :oops:
    I hate logic sometimes. Just thought... All this time he had that fueled up jet at Gotham Airport and he didn't use it.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They explicitly said earlier in the season that they'd shoot down anything leaving the island by air (helicopters were mentioned too). He could leave because the No Man's Land was lifted...

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And there we have it. My feelings are really, really mixed on that episode.

i really didn’t like that They changed the Selena actor. That’s a pretty harsh move on someone that’s played the character for five years. It also pulled me out every time she was on screen.

Likewise, I think I wanted to see Bruce. If not Bruce, then more Batman. The teases were nice, and they neatly showed him being a detective ahead of the pack, but give me more.

Penguin and Riddler were great, I really like those two and it was a nice send off.

I don’t know. It seemed like missed potential. I’m still sorry this is ending, as I’d take it over the CW DC offerings.

This almost felt like...last week was the end of Gotham, and this week was the pilot to Batman.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I agree with the assessment that last week was the true finale and this week was more of an epilogue. The new Selena actress did a wonderful job however.

Though I wish that there was more screen time with Bruce or Batman, it was handled pretty neatly. The last scene with Selena was beautiful.

The showdown at ace chemicals was also quite wonderful. Great performance there, but Jeremiah has always been amazing at invoking Heath Ledger.

All in all, I enjoyed this finale more than I thought I would considering that I've been back and forth with the show throughout its run.

I suppose the show did a great job in a way of creating a Gotham City that was so insane and twisted that it would need someone equally insane and to twisted to become its savior.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  22. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I enjoyed the epilogue as well, though I wish it was an hour episode or a two parter as in places it felt a bit rushed. Leaving Batman in the shadows worked fine as I think this is how it is supposed to be.

The last scene gave me goosebumps though.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I liked it...

But... (yeah, you knew that was coming)

The makeup sucked. Sorry to be so blunt. It's true, though. This is supposed to have been ten years on. Most appeared as if they hadn't aged a day. At least give Gordon a few grey hairs. Fatherhood'll do that to ya!

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Basically the episode was mostly a slow burn until the Joker showed up (and they STILL didn't call him The Joker! hahaha, they definitely ran that one all the way through). And good "origin" for Harley Quinn cuz that gal is dead but he'll find another one. The Joker makeup design was great, actually, very twisted but still definitely the Joker. I don't quite buy that Harvey would be reduced to a blubbering mess simply hearing that Jeremiah was back but for the purpose of the plot it's cool. Barbara Keane how she ended up as respected businesswoman I thought was a fairly odd choice considering she was so murder-y and didn't she have superpowers? Did those ever go away?

The final shot is totally the end of the show - very much like the last shot of Burton's Batman which I've always said was this show's biggest inspiration. but I wish we had seen more of Bruce (the Batman in the shadows worked well). However, I don't quite buy that Batman wouldn't swoop in and save kid Barbara (taking her off the rope) cuz he would totally do that but I would give him a pass because it was his first day. We even got mustache Gordon (still no glasses, though), him shaving it off after 5 minutes is sort of admitting that he looks kinda dopey with the mustache. And saving Barbara with Batman involved the first time they meet is very close to Year One.

I'm not too enamored of the Pennyworth prequel but it is the same behind the scenes crew basically and they definitely got crazier with the show as it went on so maybe that crazy tone will continue.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, no.

Carmen Bicondova wasn't forced out of the last episode. She volunteered to have Selena recast.

https://www.thewrap.com/carmen-bicondova-leaves-gotham/

So, no, there was no executive decision to force her out.

DarthIshyZ likes this.