main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Grand Admiral Thrawn

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Twain, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a Thrawn Anthology?

1. Yes, I'd love to see Thrawn on the big screen

62 vote(s)
    53.0%
  2. Maybe, I'm open to the idea

41 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Nope, have no desire to see a Thrawn film

14 vote(s)
    12.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Yeah, I've always had mixed feelings about the ysalamiri so I'm ok if they drop that.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh dropping the ysalamiri is a great choice.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    all lifeforms are a part of the force. so having an animal that cancels out the force makes no sense. filoni said the same thing.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I agree. It always just seemed very contrived.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Except for in those creatures, there. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere! Well, aside from those things."

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    "For my ally is the force. And a powerful ally it is. Except for when those lizards are in the room."

7. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Although, they're more in the insect category - similar to larvae I think. Leave it to an insect to be the ultimate pest in the galaxy!

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    They seemed pretty lizard-like to me! Here's the Wookiepedia entry:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ysalamir

DL44Jo likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Please leave me out of this, as the Ysalamir are utterly sucktastic. And, for the record, they literally have part of the word 'salamander' in their name.

10. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Wow! My memory of their description when I read it years ago is very different than that! haha! Guess I shouldn't always trust my memory! :p Thanks!

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It doesn't really matter since it's pretty clear he is gone by the time Aftermath rolls around.

12. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Alright. To be honest I really despise these new "Canon" books like Aftermath. Not because Disney decanonized the "Legends", but simply because they are boring and weak entries that serve no interesting purpose. It's obvious that the writers of the new canon between ROTJ and TFA are extremely limited in their information regarding the future of the ST.

They really should've waited with writing these post-Endor books until the ST has been more established.

AndyLGR likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I like the books and comics that have come out, I think a lot of the material is actually superior to TFA (Bloodline Leia >> TFA Leia). But of course tastes vary and Aftermath especially has some problems.

It's true that the writers are rather limited regarding the information that they are fed. But still, if Thrawn were around I would at least expect some mention of him, but there's absolutely nothing in all the post-ROTJ material. His novel will be a prequel to his rebels debut.

All that makes me think they don't have further plans for using him outside of some NEU appearances.

14. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, it's not really rocket science to make something superior to TFA.

But that's the problem with the NEU. Obviously Thrawn was brought onto the table after the NEU books were being written. They're publishing books to the left and right while they're still establishing the universe.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Sure, my standards for enjoying something aren't that high.

But we should refocus on Grand Admiral Smurf.

I am a bit miffed that they re-introduced Grand Admirals because they were conspiciously absent during the OT. Not even the Battle at Endor was controlled by a G-A. G-As add one more layer of continuity nonsense because now they'll always have to explain why the GAs were absent.

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    On the basis of Thrawn being introduced in to Rebels then I wonder what the chances are of him appearing in an anthology movie too at some point.

17. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Krennic has his white cape.... maybe Thrawn will wear an ysalamiri stole draped over his shoulders, serving as both a fashion accessory and a nod to the old EU. Trouble is, PETA might have an issue with it, and protestors might throw red paint on Thrawn cosplayers, particularly the more detail-oriented ones who have hunted down giant Japanese salamanders or hellbenders for their skins.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    In the trailer there's a mural behind Thrawn depicting two lizard-like creatures so I think that's their homage to the Ysalamiri.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, Filoni said so in the Rebels panel. I'm glad they were dropped from his story.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Well I know I am in the minority but I loved the Thawn series so if he makes it into Rogue One and possibly some more EU stuff that takes places ROTJ & TFA, I will do cartwheels *waits for tomatoes and eggs to be thrown at him*

DaddlerTheDalek, DL44Jo and Avnar like this.
  21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    There's no logical reason why the new Canon films cannot cherry-pick from Legends certain characters, planets or general plot ideas.

And Thrawn is a prime example. He determines how to subdue a planet/culture by first studying their art? How inventive and interesting is that!

He's a really interesting and well-written character, and he'd be great on screen in an Anthology film as the main Imperial protagonist. If Jyn Erso survives Rogue One, why not have a sequel in which she and a new team are on the run from Thrawn and his fleet somewhere in the outer rim between ANH and ESB?

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

Mon Calimari

23. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Well, you can start doing cartwheels then cause it's confirmed he'll be in S3 of Rebels and a novel is coming out next year called 'Thrawn' written by Timothy Zahn. Whether he'll be in an Anthology film is a mystery as of yet, but we're hoping and guessing he will be.

JediKnightWax Haha! They do sound the same! :p

24. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    That's because they weren't bothering to think it thru beyond that initial explanation. This is one case in which midi-chlorians might be a benefit to explaining how creatures like the ysalamiri could've developed such an ability... all they gotta say is they secrete a pheromone or some such biological function that doesn't cancel the Force, but merely scrambles the signals of the midi-chlorians, so beings in the radius can't hone in on a sense of midi-chlorians (like vornskrs) or access the Force... kinda like the clone "static" that Luke experienced when trying to sense the troops Thrawn had grown, or when fighting the poorly-named "Luuke".

It'd be a function that wouldn't sever communication between midi-chlorians entirely, since without them chatting away there could be no life according to Qui-Gon, but it'd just make it confusing for non-midi-chlorians listening in...like hearing a conversation in your native language, and suddenly it changes to Klingon when you got close enough. That could open the way for some story where a given Force-user or group of Force-users spends years re-learning how to communicate with the midi-chlorians when in the ysalamiri scramble-field, like learning a new language, giving that person/group an advantage.

25. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Hey Luke02 I realized you said, "...if he makes it into 'Rogue One' " - I was thinking 'Rebels' when I read that. And I didn't notice you said 'more' EU so I completely misunderstood your post! Therefore, you can just disregard my response. :oops:

Also, I'd say most of the posters in this thread share your love of Thrawn so you usually don't have to fear tomatoes and eggs here. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.