main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grand Admirals and Emperor's Pawns articles info

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord_Hydronium, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    If someone with either of these articles could help me here, that would be great. I'm trying to gather info on Trioculus for Wookieepedia, and I was wondering they say about him. For the GA one, I'm particularly interested in what it has to say on the Takel/Grunger/Trioculus business.

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    While Hydronium's asking, can anyone help me with the exact description of Grunger's fleet? I'm curious about the parallel between his forces - thirty Star Destroyers and the Aggressor - and the fleet that was deployed to the Corellian system by the Ruling Council after Endor (25 ISDs, later reinforced by the Aggressor and five more Star Destroyers)....

Also, is this article "in-universe" like GttGAR...?

- The Imperial Ewok

3. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    It's not in-universe.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My copy of the Pawns article is still packed away, but I have the Insider GA article handy

Grunger's fleet was made from the ships absorbed from other Imperials throughout the Outer Rim. He had 30 Imperial-class and Victory-class Star Destroyers, 60 strike cruisers, 100 light Carrack cruisers, "various miscellaneous vessels" and the SSD Aggressor.

As far as Triculus goes, only Takel's entry mentions him with any detail (Makati and Syn touch upon the Prophets of the Darkside, however).

Takel fled to the grand moff convocation on kessel following Isard's threats to kill him after he failed to reclaim Gargon after Grunger took it from him. he felt a strange connection with "the handsome three-eyed" alien Triculus" (and now, reading this, I'm wondering just what Abel and Dan were implying here... ;) ), who promised to "deal" with Grunger. Takel's spice-induced paranoia led to his execution at Triculus's orders after he questioned Triculus's tactics once too often.

5. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks, Quest.

I had my attention called by TalonCard's great GODV article that there seems to be a mystery Grand Admiral at Kessel; Trioculus strikes him down (with "the lightning power of the Dark Side"!) when he starts to get mouthy, but eventually spares him. A GA from Gargon later shows up for Trioculus' special Whaladon brunch, which turned out to be Takel, so either Trioculus lightninged him then made up for it (then killed him anyway), or there was another one there. I guess the "other" GA isn't addressed anywhere?

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I believe that there were Grand Admiral's 'plural' at the Convocation.

Considering the Committee is active on Duro, in Corellia Sector - Pitta's sector - it could be him. Though i vaguely remember Grunger throwing his support behind the Moffs, stepping down from his claim as Emperor.

Syn also supported the Moffs, but was killed 4 months earlier.

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >A GA from Gargon later shows up for Trioculus' special Whaladon brunch, which turned out to be Takel, so either Trioculus lightninged him then made up for it (then killed him anyway), or there was another one there. I guess the "other" GA isn't addressed anywhere?<

The mystery Grand Admiral isn't so much an unknown character as we don't know which Grand Admiral it is. Fortunately, we do have a picture of him in the book. He's clean-shaven and (IIRC) strong chinned. He's not Takel; he doesn't match the pictures seen in the article and later in the book.

(Thanks for the complement, BTW. :) )

Grunger never swore alligience to the Moffs; he died a warlord.

TC

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Not explicitly, anyway.

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm still not convinced that Takel didn't just grow his mustache back out between those two scenes.

I don't know for certain about that. In Lost City of the Jedi, he did agree to throw his support behind Trioculus if the latter obtained Kadann's Dark Blessing, which Trioculus did get - briefly. Though I would never expect him to actually feel *beholden* to such an oath, I can see him *making* it, and nominally following it (as far as it served his own purposes) until the fall of the Central Committee of Grand Moffs.

10. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Ahhhhhh, good point!

That whole Takel mustache thing just doesn't work, though. ;) :p

TC

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thus we have the Grunger, possibly Pitta, Takel, and the other Grand Admiral beinging with T's resources at the hands of the Moff Committee, including five Grand Moff's...

Making it easily more heavily armed than the modern-day Imperial Remnant, considering the Aggressor, torpedo sphere(s), and other 'command ships', and possibly control of Corellia's and Duro's shipyards.

Even if its only a 'nominal' alliance between Warlords and Grand Moff's.

12. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    So Talon, are there any plans to continue "Everything you Wanted to Know about GODV"?

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It specificly mentions "first appearing in the Glove of Darth Vader books", etc in one of the entries, so it can't be in-universe.

14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >So Talon, are there any plans to continue "Everything you Wanted to Know about GODV"?<

Well, as far as the first book goes, it's all written, just suffering from the sporadic update schedule of the SWFA. (I hear its members are off writing magazine articles and Essential Guides and whatnot. Geez.) Whenever they catch up, I'm game for more (probably shorter) installments.

I'm working on a similar series of entries for my SW.com blog, though, looking at some other obscure EU stuff... (Like that awesome Droids/Ewoks time-travel extravaganza.... :D )

TC

15. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy folks,

Well here's a thread that's too hard to resist.

As someone else has said, the only substantial reference to Trioculus is in the Takel entry in the Grand Admirals.

Bizarrely, jSarek's "mustache-on, mustache-off" explanation isn't too far from what I'd intended concerning this art discrepancy.

Basically, it goes like this. The first thing to remember is that GDV was all over the place when it came to Grand Admirals. You didn't know who was from Gargon, who that square-jawed GA was, who the GA from Gargon present at the meeting was, etc. I'd intended for Takel to be the square-jawed GA that gets zinged by Trioculus with "the lightening power of the dark side," and, IIRC, I intended this guy to be the same guy who gets iced at the little meeting following. However, I was living incognito in Italy at the time the Grand Admirals piece was finally bought by Star Wars Insider (after Star Wars Gamer crumbled, for which it was originally written), and didn't tell Joe Corroney who illustrated the piece to make Takel look like the zapped GA. Not knowing the convoluted continuity side of things, I believe Joe took a look at the "meeting illustration," picked one of the faces that didn't already have a name, and based his illustration of Takel on him. (In my mind, the meeting table was longer, and the square-jawed GA was just off-camera. The mustachioed Imperial was simply some no-name). So you can see how they are, in a sense, intended to be one and the same.

I'll venture this opinion: the common assumption that the mustachioed man in the "meeting illustration" is Grand Admiral Takel is erroneous (not unlike the common misconception that some red-skinned Sith was the Dark Underlord). They may have a passing resemblance to one another, but they are not the same. Takel, in GDV-drawn style, actually looks like the zinged square-jawed GA, and is "off-camera" in the the "meeting illustration," as explained above. Assume that the mustachioed Takel that Joe drew is pre-GDV ... i.e. he shaved for GDV. Kyle Katarn and Mike Stackpole did it, so why not.

Alternately, the mustachioed-man in the "meeting illustration" IS Takel ... and the zinged GA is merely a pretender. Or maybe he's Grand Admiral Tigellinus ... they seem to have the same chiseled good looks, and all the more reason for Tigellinus to reject the Central Committee of Grand Moff's offer, no? Of course, this explanation may be cleaner, but as opposed to the previous one, it requires the recording of new continuity.

For now, I say the matter remains thoroughly ambiguous.

Lastly, some food for thought: just how reliable are the illustration in the GDV series anyway? I would say not very. Note that the "royal guard" who gets zinged along with the square-jawed GA looks nothing like any Royal Guard we'ver seen before or since (admittedly, this is pretty cool, but that's a separate issue). Zorba the Hutt goes from having three fingers to having four in different books. (For that matter, what about Fake Wedge?) I wouldn't take a discrepancy in appearance from one illustration to the next as very solid proof of anything.

Take care,
    Abel

16. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    [face_dancing] [:D] Welcome back, Abel!!! [:D] [face_dancing]

17. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    I hadn't intended anything *specifically* with the numbers adding up that way (as 30 and 30 independently in the Adventure Journal source piece Recon & Report and GDV). Rather, I was just taken by the little coincidence, and decided to throw it into the GAs piece, and "let fate decide." But either way, obviously there's some apparently faulty or incomplete recon going on in that report. Either the five ISDs and Aggressor were captured by Grunger en route to Corellia, or they were in fact already his, and either Coruscant or Pitta (or both) had been fooled into thinking they were reinforcements. Also, the 25 Star Destroyers already in Corellia may have been Pitta's, or Grunger's, as you already anticipated ... or mutinied, or whatever. There's really too little known about that battle to be sure. Likewise, it remains ambiguous.

I believe that sometimes these ambiguities were an unfortunate consequence of having to shorten the GAs piece considerably after reworking it for Star Wars Insider.

Note that the wanna-be "royal guard" who gets zinged along with the square-jawed GA says he's been to Gargon, yet doesn't seem to be aligned with Grunger. Would make sense if the the GA he gets zapped with was himself from Gargon, a.k.a. Takel.

Let's just say I'm glad GAs wasn't published electronically, grand moff grand moff.

Well said.

Which should be about mid-March, celebrating the SWFA's ten year anniversary. :)

Hey brother. ;)

Take care,
    Abel

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The prophet returns.

19. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks for clearing that up, Abel.

Regarding that Royal Guard, his outfit actually reminded me a bit of the other Senate Guard uniform seen in the Republic comics. Compare this and this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.