main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You'll forgive me if I have a hard time seeing the practicality of such a scheme. I see that half a second to let go of the kb/mouse combo to pickup the controller (or vice versa) as a potentially lethal proposition, especially in the middle of a mission or heist.

Ah, frak it, just look at my avatar. If that doesn't tell you I'm an unapologetic Xbox fanboy, well...

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Keep the controller in your lap. That way you just literally drop your hands to your knees.

3. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    I sometimes do this as well, but I'm finding myself getting rather good at keyboard driving (as it allows substantially easier shooting while doing so).

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That's one of the major drawbacks I always imagine on PC gaming. Yes, I get that the graphics may very well be far superior to any home console available on the market today. But I just can't get used to playing with a keyboard/mouse most of the time.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    And I like playing laid back on my couch, not crouched sitting on a desk staring at yet another PC monitor fiddling with a kb/mouse. I do enough of that 10 hours a day at work to continue doing so during my down time.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  6. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    You can hook your PC up to your HD tv and play it that way :D That's what I do with FIFA/NBA and similar games. Otherwise I load my chair with comfy pillows for GTA and others.

7. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It's simple. Buy an Alienware Laptop and a graphics amplifier. Compact, mobile and powerful. Works for me.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You forgot "overpriced".

9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    The free Windows 10 upgrade was nice :)

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    http://www.twitch.tv/sugar_free_nos/v/9230129

We just did an event, racing sports cars that weren't the top 5 in class. Went really well. I'm one of two red Comets (Porsches), and event host so you'll hear one of two Australian accents.

11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I expected Ender's accent to have a more dulcet finish to it.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I'm a little congested there

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    @sarlaaccsaurs-rex

Here's the GTA thread. Again, I had no problem with the three-person story mode in GTA. I don't understand why people keep complaining that it doesn't have a single player option. I've probably spent about 50 hours alone completing the story missions and continuing the other trivial activities to get 100%.

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

You spelled my name wrong dude. :p

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Was wondering why it wouldn't bring your ID up.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, just seeing this - the controller/keyboard combination is fine. You cannot shoot worth a damn on consoles, unless you have your kiddie aim assist on. But you get throttle and braking control on controller.

You basically get the best of all worlds - superior graphics, not playing on a potato, not playing with dirty console peasants, on PC. It's the way of the future.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    ...unless, of course, publishers decide to forego the so-called PC Master Race and just focus on consoles.

I mean, how have you enjoyed Arkham Knight so far, Ender? :p

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    "Kiddie aim assist". Cute. Keyboard and mouse combination in a FPS; yeah, that's such a great combination. Especially the notion of sitting in front of a computer screen while playing. The only games I play on my computer are the traditional point-and-click games like solitaire and some simulation games. No, I'm not envious of PC gamers playing GTA V, who may have graphics a tad better than how they'd fare on my PS4.

19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    When it comes to an FPS, the navigation of an analogue nub on a gaming controller can never match the precision of a mouse because the latter gives you greater control over aim since it is less restrained than a nub. Comparatively, the nub on a controller has its movement curtailed by the physical engineering of the fulcrum beneath the nub, a restraint that a mouse lacks. The greater the range of wrist movement, the greater the aim.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They made it on an inferior system (in terms of pure processing power) because they'd sell more. How precisely is the failure to port that a reflection on PCs?

Ashoka's Tano, you are kidding yourself if you think your graphics are almost on par with mine. You're not getting 120fps constantly are you? You know that when we test cars around a track, PC lap times are consistently faster because of the graphical superiority of the PC. The car is able to react more quickly because of the number of frames that can be employed to translate an input to an onscreen reaction.

There is simply nothing close to what a GTX 980 can do in the console world. Nothing.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If I wanted to spend upwards of $1000 or more on a PC gaming machine, I could brag about it like that too. Thanks. I'm completely satisfied with my $300 Playstation 4.

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    When it comes to gaming technology, you get what you pay for. I don't begrudge console gamers one iota but I still maintain that there is no console on the market which can stand up to a $2000.00 computer when it comes to performance. It's basic logistics and is totally analogous to the automotive industry. Yes, you can purchase a perfectly workable vehicle for $19,990 with insurance (Holden, Ford or Toyota) but it will never live up to the potential of a German manufactured engine for between $80,000 - $100,000 (B.M.W - ignore the rest).

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but your PS can manage at best 30fps. And if you enter a dense area it might drop to 24fps.

I can run 120fps, with all settings at max including density and draw distance, and if I get frame rate drop it's to 60 at worst but usually 90.

Imagine this; I decide to do the easy money VIP sightseer job. I get my Swift Deluxe from the helipad at Vespucci. I gain some altitude and I can see as far as Mt Chiliad. Clearly. I retract the landing gear, push forward slightly on the stick, and start whirring through a vibrant downtown Los Santos where nothing is compromised on Rockstar's vision.

You can tell me yours is the economy package, but you cannot tell me it's even remotely comparable to 120fps. We even found in league racing that we have to force V-sync to on for all drivers so there's nobody with a 1-2 advantage from higher FPS. It's pretty amazing when we have to restrict settings to twice the best efforts of a next gen console.

@TWT - Oh man, the Sentinel XS. It just disappoints so hard. Looks great, but I mean, they need to make either a Sentinel XS STD in the Sports class which would compete with the Comet or the Surano, or just make a Z4 to restore Ubermacht's (BMWs) pride.

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    People, JCF doesn't recognise TWT anymore - he's dead. Hence, the tags fail. Referring to me as TWT now is like referring to Prince-The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As as Prince in 1996.

TWT is no more

[​IMG]

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, TWT. Noted.