main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON Grape & Wine Parade

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Yebbed-Crage, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Oh no...it's not going to rain.

I could potentially have some costume issues if it rains, thefore, it can not. :)

heh. *keeps fingers crossed*

2. agitatedwookie

agitatedwookie Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    Yes. Alex and I's R2 units don't really like water. (Despite all the evidence you see in the movies;) )Wood, plastic, electronics and water don't mix :(

We have a backup plan though. It may not look as nice but some large clear plastic bags will keep them safe :)

Heath

3. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    It is better for everyone to be prepared for rain, rather than everyone getting wet.

4. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

What? Rain? Gah...

I'm brinning a video camera with me...

No one is safe ;)

5. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Don't forget, that even an 80% chance of rain for Saturday doesn't mean its raining during the parade. The rain could start at 4 o'clock and the forecast is still right.

Lets hope that it does hold off until we are safely back at the school.

6. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Just out of curiosity...

Does anyone have any more questions that need answered regarding th parade?

Everyone has directions to the school, where we are meeting at 9am?

Everyone, that is staying overnight, has directions to the houses they are staying at?

Everyone knows what they are bringing? (more YJN related)

7. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    all Im bringing is myself and my costume, the mask is paper mache and im not sure it will hold up in the rain, even with a hood, Ill bring an umbrella just in case. Was I suppose to bring something no one told me to,

8. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    DARTH2-D2 - Have you coated the mask in anything? You may want to try a matte modge podge to help protect it. I'm honestly not sure how well it will protect something in the rain, but it may be worth a shot.

I'm really hoping it stays dry...heh.

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Dan, arn't you brinning me the Sith Cloak?

10. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Post Parade Activities

Who from YJN can bring some games? If so which games. It eouldn't be good to have 6 copies of Epic Duels afterall.

I'll be bringing a few small games, a card-based gamed called Guillotine which I've been promised its lots of fun, and to keep with the Star Wars theme the old WEG X-Wing vs TIE Fighter Battle Books.

11. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    For those staying at/stopping at my house:

I will be home from school around 3:00, so that's the earliest I can expect people.

12. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    101 ways to fry a gungan?

I mean I have balderdash...

13. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
  14. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well 24 hours to go and the weather forecast is not improving.

Bring an umbrella folks, and maybe an extra change of clothing. :(

P.S. Don't forget that for the majority of the day we are all going be nice and dry in the school, having fun.

15. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    Tessa.... yes but im not sure you will want to wear it, just looked at it for the first time since toronto trek and its a mass of wrinkles and its also a tad thin and not very water resistant.

I put a coat of water resister on my mask, if all else fails ill have a plastic bag in my pocket so if I have to carry it i will and ill just put my cloak over my head and hope no one cares lol

Ill be at nicks house around 7pm or so.

16. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Just in case anyone is missing the address of were we are...

Place:
    Memorial School
    17 Welland
    St. Catharines
    Ontario
    Canada
    L2R 2M1

For those that are coming in from out of town:
    Contact the person you are staying with!!!
    Some of the YJN members will be going to the school tonight to set up for tomorrow. It may be better for you to meet the people you are staying with at the school, plus you can drop off whatever you are bringing with you.

17. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Lol I know no one likes it so how out of town is Welland. ;)

18. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    well, crud has happened, and it looks like I won't be able to attend. Oh well. I'm sure there will be other events.

19. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Hello all! Just wanted to say I had a great time, and I'll post my thoughts in order (more or less) of what happened.

Note: My browser crashed on the first draft, so it may have lost some of its original charm.

4:00 AM: Woke up. Suprisingly, wasn't sleepy. Odd phenomena, whose causes are unknown. I will look into it, but suffice it to be said that I am glad.

4:45 AM: Got on NYS Thruway (beginning in Sherrill, ~45 minutes east of Syracuse).

~8:30 AM: Arrived at Memorial. Immediately turned back to get a 9 volt battery for my lightsaber.

Waited a while at the school for people to filter in. Eventually got into our costumes. Noted that my cloak was a bit low, but didn't touch the ground (if barely). Figured it would be fine.

Left building for spot in parade route. Realized that wet cloaks droop. Tucked the cloak into my belt to keep myself from stepping on it (though when not tucked in it billows quite nicely).

Began parade. I realized the reason that "only two there are"- two Sith can keep a straight line much better than four. We started off trying to stay about two meters back from the speeder bike, but speed inconsistencies made it nigh-impossible. Cloak got untucked; tucked it back in. It pours; cloak becomes untucekd; say, "forget it", and end up tripping over the kriffing thing for the rest of the parade. Note to Raef-Wolfe- Hem the stinkin' thing up six more inches (9-10 cm.).

Parade ends. Cue single-minded pursuit of shelter. CUT TO: school, where we stood outside... I'm guessing for about twenty minutes waiting for the person with the One Key*.

Enter the school. Everyone gets out of costumes faster than a TIE falls against an X-wing. Missed opportunity for a photo op, but I'm not complaining.

Wanderd around. Didn't talk much, just sorta peeked in.

Dueled JediXXL. Got the clip; will have visual effects by the end of next week.

Heard something about a fanfilm, and gravitated towards that conversation. Was noticed because of my Fury** Parks Saber. Was talked to because I'm a cool guy ;) Ended up meeting Primrodo*** in person.

Dueled Primrodo. Post will take a bit longer on that minute-long clip. Audio alone is going to drive me up the wall. One minutes of clashes and swings. *shudders*. Maybe I'll add some music (Duel of the Fates, anyone? :D).

We ended up taking lots of pictures. I'll take all of them and post them online in high-quality .jpg, 800X600- wallpaper size. Except for the large-group panorama before the parade itself- that I'll crop to 1600X900- widescreen- and also post that. With so many people, I couldn't bear to shrink it.

4:45 PM: Eventually left. Missed a turn, ended up crossing at Fort Erie/Buffalo instead of Niagara Falls. Got in a lane behind a truck. Sat, not moving, for ten minutes. Turned into next lane. Found out the the lane we were just in was all trucks.

Fairly uneventful ride home. Awesome storm, though- lightning and such. Played around with 2 second exposure on digital camera looking at headlights coming in the other direction.

Got home. Hung costume to dry. Got on computer. Got ticked off when browser shut down midway through typing this the first time.

That's all for now. See you all later!
    ~Andrew (DarthArjuna)

*One Key to soak them all
    One Key to dry them
    One Key to bring them all
    And in the school gym bind them

**Collected comments, on hilt, blade, and assembly: "Is that Fury?" "Oh! It glows!" "Yeah, that's one of Jeff [Parks]'s." "That's a Fury, right?" Word to the wise: Parks Saber with EL blade= chick magnet.

***Winner of "DarthArjuna's teh Cool" (not suprising, since I consider the FanFilms Forum to be my "home forum" of sorts)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.