main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Great_One's Gallery - Updated on 11.14.05 - "Orange is the New Pink"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Great_One, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, I guess you could say I'm a newbie/long time lurker. I've just scanned a bunch of my star wars fan art and feel that this is the place to post it, so here goes.

Index:
    Red Invasion Gown - Early Version
    Rough Draft - Sabé, the queen's handmaiden, her loyal bodyguard
    Ep. III Palpatine
    Ep. II Arena Padmé
    Aayla Secura Doll
    Clone Wars Padmé - Colored
    Clone Wars Padmé - Rough Draft
    Aayla Secura
    Aayla rough draft
    Ep. III Padmé - Hair Buns - Colored
    Ep. III Padmé - Rough Draft
    Luke Skywalker
    Ep. III - "The Harry Potter Scene"
    Ep. III Anakin - Monochrome
    Ep. III Anakin - Colore Background
    Ep. III - Funeral Padmé Doll
    EU - Anakin Solo
    Ep. II - Lakeside Padmé
    Ep. III - Funeral Padmé
    Ep. III - Funeral Padmé V.1
    Van Goh Vader
    Ep. IV - Leia portrait
    Ep. III - Mustafar Padmé Doll
    Jag Fel
    Jaina Solo
    Jacen Solo
    Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi! - Ep. IV Leia Doll
    I'd be happier in a flight suit - redraw
    I'd be happier in a flight suit - colored
    Flightsuit Rough Draft
    Queen Amidala - Red Invasion Gown
    Queen Amidala - Red Invasion Gown 2
    Amidala - Parade Gown (kind of dull)
    Amidala - Parade Gown 2 *caution - it's bright :)*
    Work Doodles (also includes Albus Dumbledore and Capt. Jack Sparrow)
    Vader Doodle
    Jag's Experiment - Ylesia
    Jaina Portrait 1
    Jaina Portrait 2 - Colors inverted
    Ep. III Anakin Redraw
    Force Heretic Illustration - Jacen and Ferroan girl - WIP
    Lightspeed to Sonic!! - Han Solo on a Lemon Berry Slush Cup :)
    Work Doodles 3 - Anakin Skywalker, Vader, Obi Wan Kenobi
    Solo

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Welcome to Fan Art, Great_One! I had to laugh at your "owning up" to being a "lurker"--I think a lot of us start out that way! ;)

I visited your gallery, and you have some wonderful pieces there! I especially like the Clone Wars Padme piece--she has a wonderful expression, and the coloring is lovely (on all the colored ones!). Your Aayla Secura is very good, too--very good figure drawing, with a nice easy feel to her stance, and nice coloring there too (was she done in colored pencil?). Your clothing studies are very reminiscent of clothing design drawings, with the wonderful detail and fabric draping--both things that I have a tough time with, when doing them without reference!--and the Padme funeral drawing is a lovely likeness (of a very sad moment in the film...sniff!). Your work is very diverse, in style and choice of subjects (OT, PT, EU), and you seem to have a good handle on all of it! Thanks for sharing your work here, and again--welcome!

FF

3. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks, FalcolnFan! I'm very honored to have someone as talented as you compliment my "work". Aayla was done in colored pencil. I'd debated on coloring her in photoshop, which I might go back and do eventually. Clone Wars Padmé is probably my favorite of them. I drew her from my paused tv screen and she was colored in photoshop, as the scan lost most of the color. Queen Amidala was quite hastily colored in crayola markers, lol. I could have paid more attention to detail on her gown, but felt that it wouldn't blend too well between the cartoon style and film costume. I really like your style, how realistic everything looks, and I'm starting into that some more now, so more drawings in that style are sure to follow :)

4. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Hi! ;) Don't be shy to put your stuff out.

Very nice stuff there. Like FalconFan, I also especially like your clone wars Padmé drawings.

5. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Oh, and in case anyone is interested, I also have several star wars pixel dolls on my gallery as well. Here's the link: http://photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Dolls/

6. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ah, we posted at the same time! Thank you very much! I guess that's it - I'm out of my shell now, lol. I'm sure you'll be seeing plenty of me around from now on, but as of right now my eyes are starting to hurt from reading the screen so much. I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow with some updates :) Thanks again!

7. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Welcome to the forums. Glad you decided to de-lurk.

You've got a nice-sized gallery going. It was great to look through it and see so many pieces of new (to me, at least) art.

My favorite was the one with the girl (Jaina?) wearing a dress while dreaming of wearing a flight suit. Very clever! You seem to enjoy designing and drawing costumes. I can see the care you put into them... maybe planning a career in fashion design?

And on a completely random note, I like your handwriting.

8. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Dollz! Cute Leia, wouldn't have thought of using that base, but it really works well...

9. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    wicktone - I have thought about fashion design, but only because I like to draw that kind of stuff. I'm not very fashion savvy, myself, lol. I actually seem to recall wearing the same expression while trying on prom dresses this year. And thanks for the handwriting note - I normally hate it. It's murder to write something and then not be able to type what you wrote because you can't read it anymore!

SkyWookie - that was actually my first try at a new base in a long time. I usually use the larger ones from stvgr.net/dhf (doll on the hill factory - who also has some amazing Padmé dolls!) and just randomly decided to make a cute little Lara. :) The base is from xandorra.net

Oh, and on a side note, I should be posting a re-draw of funeral Padmé within the next few days. I was up until about 4am watching the Episode I documentaries and sketching images from my Ep. III calandar (both Padmé and the scene with Obi Wan and Beru).

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think I like Jaina Solo - Her head is kind of funky. :\
    the best - and I don't think her head is funky at all :)

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome aboard, Great_One! :D

I just browsed through your gallery and you have a lot of nice stuff going for you. I think your strong points are definitely the first couple of drawings - namely, the ones of Padme. The likeness is very good and I love the colors. Please keep up the great work! :)

12. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Sketches%20and%20crap/anakin.jpg]
    RotS Anakin. He looks a little too boyish, I think. It's almost like a blend between innocence and evil, I guess, although I was trying to go for a replica... I'm going to update soon with another version of it with a red/orange background :)

13. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Sketches%20and%20crap/ac1c805d.jpg]
    And there's Anakin colored. There's still something off about him. The nose. It's got to be the nose. I think if I erase it one more time, though, it'll come off completely! lol.

14. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    These are great! The coloured one definitely plays up the evil vibe a bit more, but in a way the first one has an interesting contrast going on with his 'younger' look in such a dark scene.

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    These are wonderful, Great_One. :)
    You do a great job communicating 'character' in your faces and you do a good job on the clothing. I really like your original design for a Padmé dress.

The CW Padmé you did, wow, you nailed it! Looks exactly like the cartoon.
    And I also really liked the pic of Jaina in her fancy dress. That was great. ;)

I look forward to seeing more from you. Welcome to the forum!

16. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Why you old sneak. I didn't know you were over here on this board. I obviously don't lurk here enough. Love the work Mistress Mary.

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    LOL about your comment on "taking the 'nose' right off" Anakin!! I don't know how many times I've done that same thing with a drawing and had to trash it and start all over again! [face_frustrated] [face_laugh] I think the shading on the face of the colored version is great just as it is now--the likeness is very close, particularly around his mouth and his eyes, and you don't want to ruin it (as I've mentioned above!)! I very much like this Anakin piece, although I think I actually prefer the monocolored one above, with just the color of his "Sithly eye." There's something powerful, sometimes, about just a little splash of color in an otherwise monochrome composition--it emphasizes the colored feature, making for a powerful statement. Great work--keep on posting!

FF

18. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    These are great!! I really like all pics of Jaina!

19. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Wow - you have a lot of nice pieces of artwork, and the pixel dolls- very cool, I've never seen stuff like that b-4, then again I really just got into art a whole lot more this time around. Hope to see more from you!

-Arsnl

20. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi - thanks for the welcome! It was nice to see someone on here I was already familiar with in a way. CW Padmé was actually my first attempt at that style and I'm glad that so many people like her just as much as I do :) Also, I really try to convey what the characters are feeling, as you mentioned the character bit. My other hobby is writing, so I try to run through the scenario and think of what's going on and how I can show that. I'm also trying to get into costuming (I've got a Jaina costume in the works for halloween and I'll be sure to send Maggie a write up and pics if it turns out well - I'm not much of a seamstress!), so I guess that's where the Padme dress came from.

RogueSticks - thanks! What other board or you on that you know me from or where you talking to Obi-Dawn?

FalconFan- As always, thank you :) I really liked the monochrome version, too, but my mom (who has been to art school) coached me on a few changes to be made and I thought that he might look a little more sinister with the background. I might try it again, as I've got a half finished one in my sketch book that got abandoned a while back. If you like this one, though, I'm sure you'll like my next Padmé. I'll put up a WIP scan in the morning. It's just a redraw of the funeral scene, but it's turning out a lot better. :)

Genimay- thanks! I really like drawing Jaina. If you can't tell already. lol.

Darth_ArsnL - Thanks a lot. The pixel dolls were just something that I started dabbling in about a year ago and have a lot of fun making. And don't worry, there will be plenty more from where all of this came from :)

21. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, and before I forget:

soitscometothis - lol, do you really? I find that she looks a bit like a young Lisa Marie Presley. lol. Thanks, though :) I'm thinking about a redraw of that one. lol.

HanSolo29 - thanks! Padmé has always been a fun character to draw, especially the CW version of her. Expect plenty more portraits of her as time goes by :)

wicktone - Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out which one I like more. Maybe I'll play with it in photoshop later and make the background white again :)

22. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Sketches%20and%20crap/anakinsolo.jpg]
    The result of extreme boredom. lol. It's supposed to be Anakin Solo. I figured I'd done pics of Jacen and Jaina, why not little brother, too? Done in about 3-5 minutes using Corel Painter IX.

23. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Sketches%20and%20crap/padmelake.jpg]
    Just some more fun with Corel. I haven't got the hang of it yet, but here's Padmé in her lake gown from Ep. II done with "oil paints" lol. Another quickie. About 10 minutes for this one.

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow--yet another artist doing the "speed work!" I can't believe how fast some of you people work!

I rather like the Anakin Solo study (3-5 minutes...grumbles...)--it has a quick, "sketchy" feel to it, but also looks like it could be developed later.

The "oil paint" effect you get with that program is quite realistic! Amazing (don't know anything about that sort of thing, but it looks impressive!)--it almost resembles an impressionistic type painting, more of a suggestion of the subject than an actual representation of it. You included the major features (eyes, mouth, hair), but it looks more like you're "implying" the rest of it, with broad "brush strokes" and color. I like the subtle shading you've used here, to suggest facial contours and shadows--this is very interesting style-wise, if not a true likeness. Getting the "feel" of your program and tools? :D ;)

FF

25. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ah yes, speedwork. I get bored occassionaly and just doodle, so that's where these ones came from. I like Anakin, too! He's always been one of my favorites (I actually cried when I read SBS!) I think I might try a hand drawn portrait of him next.
    The oil paint tool was fun to try out. I've always liked that style and I'd like to try painting with real oil paints sooner or later. I don't particularly like how the details came out, as everything kind of blurred and it was hard to draw little things - I'm definately just starting out on this one! lol. It'll take a few tries, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

And on another note, I finally finished my redraw of Padmé (stayed up until about 4 working on it again! lol). And while at work today I tried out Aurelia's trick of smudging with a tissue and it worked rather well. Scan coming soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.