main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Great_One's Gallery - Updated on 11.14.05 - "Orange is the New Pink"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Great_One, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Great_One, you probably thought I'd disappeared on you! Not so, just really busy with RL junk!

WOW on all the recent pieces you've put up! The portraits in particular are wonderful! I'm really liking your interpretation of Tahiri--she's also one of my favorite characters in the EU! You've captured her very well in both versions, but the newest one is my fav of the two. I just love the profile portrait of Jaina--beautiful shading and expression, it's wonderful! Of the last three you posted I think I like the one of Leia best--and what a perfect way to describe her with the title! The draping of her dress/hood and her pose are wonderful, and her face is just beautifully done! Bravo! Keep up with the great work--and I'll try not to be so absent in the future! :D

FF

2. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    HS29 - thanks for sticking with me! lol. Nice to see you around again and thanks for the compliments! :) The Jaina portrait is probably my fave right now (yeah, she bumped down her gramma, lol.) And Leia is always fun to draw. I'm into the folds right now, lol. I'm starting on some basic costume design (going as Jaina ;)), so I'm trying to convey what I see in real fabric into sketched costumes.

Soitcomestothis - It has been quite a while, hasn't it? lol. Thanks for dropping in again and glad you like the new Padmé - that costume is one of my faves and I've always loved drawing her :)

Deb!! - lol. Hope RL isn't treating you *too* bad. lol. If possible, I've actually liked Tahiri longer than Jaina, lol. I was really into the books with her and Anakin when I was in elementary school. I think Tahiri is the new Jaina, lol.

3. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  4. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Work Doodles, Vol. 4 - Solo Kids "Jacen Looks Like Jesus!"

Lol, he does sort of look like Jesus.

You're very good at giving detail to the Jedi robes, as well as hair. Sometimes beards can be hard to draw in on characters without making it look off somehow, but you don't seem to have a problem with that on Jacen. Of all three characters drawn, I like Jaina the most as she is in a nice battle ready position with a good grip displayed on her lightsaber. The effect of the crackling energy of the lightsaber is different from the normally sleek straight edge that I see, making it looke more interesting and threatening in my opinion.

The Cast of TJK

Wow. I've never seen a collage of characters put together like this before. Did it take awhile? Their outfits are nicely detailed for 'sketches/doodles', I particularly like Tenel Ka's attire as well as her hair arrangement to mark her Queenly status, but I do think that her neck is a bit too elongated. Having Ben poking out of the side of the paper gave me a little chuckle, but I'm happy that you've added him in as not many have made the attempt at drawing the little guy. Also did quite well with having everyone's expression to be different from eachother's. For some reason, I love Zekk's the most.

Nice stuff :)

- Suz ^_~

5. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Hi Suz!

Jacen - yes, beards are incredibly hard! lol. I can't tell you how many times I've drawn Jacen, Obi Wan, Hagrid, or any other character that's described as having a beard, and finished up with crumpling the paper up and tossing it into a pile on the far side of my room, lol. And as for Jaina, you know, I draw her way too much, haha. I was trying to take some of the focus *away* from her (imo, she didn't come out as well as Jacen), but I guess the action ready pose gave her a few extra points, lol. And as for the robes, I've said it before and a hundred times over, I love drawing clothes! Especially stuff like this where I've kind of got free reign to do whatever I wish with them and make them fold like whatever kind of fabric I want them to be.

The cast of TJK - Actually, I think it took about a half an hour, maybe 45 minutes, so no, it didn't take too long at all. lol. I was EXTREMELY bored (I was racing R/C cars and by myself in my family's race trailer, as my parents didn't want to go) and this was actually drawn on the back of a page from my manual for my old r/c car (titled "how to go faster" lol). And if you haven't figured out already, I'm one of those detail people. If I'm drawing a costume that's been seen before, I try to make it as close to possible to what you've seen on screen, and when I'm coming up with a new design, I try to look at the character first and think, 'would they really wear this?' And yes, I do agree that Tenel Ka's neck is too long! lol.

Tenel Ka: Queen, Jedi, Giraffe...

And Ben was fun. I'd like to do a normal drawing of him, but I had that spot there and needed something to fill it up, haha. And they have expressions? lol. I thought they mostly looked pretty bland, but then again, that's how I picture them in the books after the brainwashing, bugwashing, bug hugging, whatever you want to call it! Glad I got Zekk right, lol. First time ever drawing him (I'm more of a Jag girl, myself ;))

6. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    ROTFLOL!!!! Jacen looks like Jesus! :D Hilarious stuff Great_One!

I really like these character drawings of yours, especially the ones on the receipts/docket thangs. Really shows you're always thinking in terms of artiness! I dig it! Great work on the larger cast pic too, it's hard to do so many characters that essentially have the same characteristics while making them so different (eg. Jag Fel, Zekk and Durron with their black hair green eyes! GAH! Can't they think of another combo!) Great work and hope to see more really soon yes?

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    LOL!!! [face_laugh]

You picked the right title for that first one! He really does look like Jesus! I like what you've done with it, though. Nice sketcky feel to it! I love it! :D

And I'm diggin' the JK cast drawing. It reminds me of concept sketches you would see lined up for an animated feature. I think it's just the way you have all the characters scattered about and the "working" lines still visible. They're not too detailed, but it's just enough to say that they're done. Oh, and I love what you have going on here with the pen. Nice line work! :D

You have any plans to do the rest of the cast? Say...the Big Three? [face_batting]

EDIT: Doh! I forgot to mention about Ben hanging off of the side of the page! When I saw that, I started to crack up! Nice touch!

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Great_One! I am really loving TJK cast "assembly" you've done! I have to agree with Suz that the detailing in each character sketch (faces, expressions, clothing etc.) is just wonderful--and they do indeed all look unique! I caught Ben peeking in there right away, and yeah--I got a good giggle over that too! As HS29 said: Nice touch! It's also great to see the "reference lines" that you left in--it's always fun to see how other artists go about their process, and this is one of the ways! The Solo kids are all great too (and I had a good laugh over "Jacen looks like Jesus" too--lol!)--and they all look like siblings, too, so great job there! I can't get over how quickly you manage to get these down--my own stuff just takes ages, so I really admire those who can work quickly, and still manage to produce quality stuff--well done!

FF

9. Anison

Anison Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    I love the TJK cast picture! It's great that you draw non-human characters like Tesar... they don't get too much "screen time" (I'm not quite courageous enough yet, myself). You did a great job with him, too.

I'd love to see more Jag drawings... *hint hint* You've made me want to read Ylesia now!

10. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Wow, sorry that I haven't gotten back to any of you, lol. Work, school, etc have kept me tied up.

C_R - haha, glad you like lol. As I've said, time and time again (and for extra measure, here it is again) I love drawing at work. I get.. inspired there. lol. Maybe it's just because I'm extra bored. And yes, it was quite difficult to make the three characters look different. I actually never knew Kyp was the same way, I always thought he was more of a brown/brown kind of guy lol. And I don't know about really soon, lol. I'm always busy/on the run haha :)

HS29 (Don't you just love how I abbreviate everything? lol) Title credit goes to my friend at work lol. She took one look at it and said "Is that Jesus?" lol. Glad you like the JK drawing. that one was to keep me from death by boredom lol. And yes, I'll have some "big three" stuff up soon ;) Oh, and Ben... couldn't leave him out! lol.

11. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, now for the rest of the replies (Class was just letting out when I updated last and I had to run to work and then well, one thing led to another, and I forgot to reply, lol. Sorry!)

Hey FF! I'm glad to see that the cast pic is such a hit! lol. Thinking about doing another one for TUQ (updated battle scarred/joiner/gorrog Alema and no Jag :_| and a nameless mini Jedi/heir to the throne ;)) Reference lines? Oh, those. lol. That's just a sign of my constant laziness, lol. But at any rate, glad you all like those :) And Ben, of course. I laughed as I drew him in there, myself, and hoped that everyone else would find his minimal appearance as funny as I did. lol. So overall, thank you and I hope to keep you this impressed (if not more so :))

Anison - thanks for checking out my stuff! Ugh, Tesar. I <3 Tesar but it is SO hard to draw Barabels with no reference pics, lol. I almost didn't draw him and then I almost scratched him out, but I decided at the last minute not to (there might even be a dot near there were I placed the pen and almost did it, lol) But thank you for that. I shall try to draw him better next time and do a great/ 0 screen time character some justice :) Oh, and Jag. I can't stop drawing him! lol. IMO, they should just kill off Zekk in TSW and end it with Jaina and Jag's wedding, but that's just me, lol. Ylesia was great. I wasn't going to bother reading it until I got TJK and it had it in the back of the book. The Jaina/Jag + Jacen moments were quite funny, lol.

Current Projects/Stuff I need to scan:

-Tenel Ka portrait (Yes, I finally drew a Tenel Ka portrait! lol. I did it last night in the same style as Ms. Solo).
    -The Trio (No, not the kids. The originals, lol. I've finished a draft of Han and Luke, but Leia is a little trickier. I think I'm going to have to start over again, because I still dont' feel that I've done any of them justice.)
    -Jacen Portrait (Realized his eyes were really off, lol. One was way higher than the other, but his head wasn't really tilted.. Kind of looked more like a human Onimi, lol.)
    -Anakin Portrait (Started and it's turning out ok, except that he looks a bit old, seeing as he died when he was only, what, 16?)
    -Possible v.2 Jaina Portrait (I dont like her nose - it ends funny.)
    -Some TUQ illustrations
    -Post DN/Slightly AU Fic. :)

12. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  13. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2003
    Yet another Deviant gallery that I'll have to sort through at home on my slow dial-up connection.... *sigh* I can't wait, though. :)

14. Anison

Anison Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    Thank God it's Jacen and Tenel Ka and not Jaina and Zekk!!! *could never avoid spoilers [face_blush] * Excellent work, they look like they've adjusted to parenthood in a very realistic way.

I love your depiction of Tenel Ka! It's very very close to how I imagine her in the YJK series. And your Princess Leia is absolutely perfect. Just the right mixture of softness and sarcasm.

15. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Moonshadow - have you gotten all the way through it yet? lol. It's a big one, I know. :) Thanks for dropping in

Anison - No, no J/Z child. lol. J/J=yes. J/Z.. no. And glad to know I got TK right. I haven't drawn her too much, but I'm starting to warm up to her lol.

16. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey G_O! I just love seeing the "work doodles!" We all love to see "sketchy-sketches," and these certainly qualify! I think you've managed to capture each character quite well, with an economy of line and just the right amount of embellishment, and the quick shading is wonderful! Your co-workers must have a great time, waiting to see who you'll draw next! I can't get over the YJK studies you've been doing--each character is so distinctive, and readily identifiable: just like their book descriptions! Great work with the faces and eyes--each one seems very expressive and "engaged!" The "Mum and Dad" drawings were great--you have a gift for being able to capture a "scene" from the story, to put a visual "face" on the written narrative--lovely work there, particularly with TK's face and expression: it's just so apparent that she wants this meeting between Jacen and his child to be a happy moment. Wonderful drawings!

FF

18. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  19. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, Sword of the Jedi is beautiful. Especially her hair.....

20. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks, Chilla! :)

21. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Are you annoyed if I display it on my homepage?

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, "Sword of the Jedi" is just beautiful, Great_One!! It's a lovely portrait, and I can definitely see a bit of Natalie in the face (which, since Padme is Jaina's grandma, is totally appropriate! ;) ). The eyes really catch--they're very very real-looking, with a lot of depth and "shine" (they really look "moist," just like real eyes), and the rest of the shading is lovely as well. Including the quote is rather telling--I guess I was always a bit peeved with Luke, saddling his only niece with a "destiny" like that...but he professed to simply "channeling" what he felt from the Force...
    **shrugs**
    It's a wonderful portrait--well done!

And it looks like you had a great time on Halloween, too! ;)

FF

23. double_blade

double_blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    looks pretty good...the eyes do look real...but they to WAY too big
    good job with the hair 2
    robes are quite nice
    pity i cant get the zoomed in view on DA to work...weird

24. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Chilla - I'd not be annoyed at all. You have my permission to use it :)

FF- Thanks! I was a little worried about the eyes (I redrew them about 4 times! lol). I was also very concerned with not making her look too much like Natalie. I was worried that I'd have a bunch of people going "Why did you turn Amidala into a Jedi?" haha. And yes, her destiny there kind of sucks... Thanks a lot, Uncle Luke! lol. Oh, and Halloween was quite fun. I ended up going out to Applebee's at 10pm with a friend, her sister, and their cousin, for 1/2 priced appetizers, lol.

double_blade- Thanks for dropping in! I do agree with you on the eyes, they are rather large, lol. Did you try refreshing the page to get the zoom to work? Here's the link:
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/24739714/

25. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    thx, Great one. A homepage about Jaina deserves good fanart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.