main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grievances

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Phill, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phill

Phill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    I find it ironic that just as the grievances requested by an AC member were aired the thread was closed without explanation.

This was the answer to the request.

1. Bannings without consulting anyone. Especially on matters of opinion.

2. Closing of threads that is called "spamming/trolling" just because the admin didn't get the joke. Not all threads are meant for them to understand.

3. Bannings, closings etc, based on the "Baiting and trolling" crap which basically means anything admin x doesn't like.

Feel free to lock this before anyone has a chance to discuss it.

2. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    4. Detailed explanation for closing and locked of thread attached to the end of the thread.

3. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    Might I add "A more truly PG message board"

4. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    Unban Kephy and Sarcasm

Mod accountability. Mods screw up too, sometimes, and have bad days. They should be held to a higher level than posters for standards.

Mod participation. They need to read, actively pay attention, and respond to our grievances, and those expressed by anyone. Not just post to say I am here, but actually be part of the solution.

No more "This belongs in a PM with X admin." This doens't cut it at all, anywhere. If you have a problem caused by or with a manager at work, you can go talk to someone else. You don't have to keep beating your head against a brick wall, or try to change the opinion of the person who currently hates you and hence banned you.

5. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    Who handles the unban requests?

6. Emerik Lonestar

Emerik Lonestar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 1999
    How about the end of the PC police? I hate political correctness. I dont like tip toeing around subject because I might offend someone's feelings.

Have the mod that sent you the unban request response, say who it is.

Make the unban response email a two communication.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Usually, the admin who made the banning handles the unban requests.

For an unban request to be made, you have to put in an e-mail address. Many people don't make their addresses public, and only administrators can see private e-mail adddresses.

8. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I've got another grievance: inconsistency and double standard.

Since this discussion essentially grew from poop and fart threads being locked because they aren't "family friendly," why don't we look at all the other threads that don't pass this litmus test?

Let's play....Mafia!
    Yep, it's a game based on a notorious group devoted to organized crime. Within this game, members are "killed." I know plenty of parents who don't want their children playing such games that glorify violence, crime, and murder.

Theme Thread || JCC Slumber Party!
    Rest assured that any momma who doesn't want her poor little baby to hear naughty talk about poops and farts sure as hell won't want the kid attending a coed sleepover, either.

~*~ The Ewan McGregor Fan Club of the JCC ~*~
    Sure, he was in Star Wars, but so were poop and fart jokes, right? He also portrays characters who use profanity, take drugs, imbibe large quantities of adult beverages, and smoke. He also appears nude quite regularly. You don't think a fan thread might prompt a child to check some of these other movies out? You think girls' mommas want their sweet babies to see McGregor's junk? I'd say quite a few of them don't want that.

Is There a HOOTER's in Your Town? Have You Been There?
    And you let this stay, but no poop or fart jokes? Mommas the world over say, "Stop the insanity."

Central Perk, aka the 'Friends' discussion thread!
    Let's see, sex... check. Alcohol... check. Adultery... check. Adult subject matter... check. Poop and fart jokes every now and then... check.

I'm no fan of poop and fart jokes, but can we at least find a better excuse than the "family friendly" one? These are just a few threads on the first page. Just a little more reason, attentiveness, and good judgement, and a little less sensitivity and overreacting sure would have prevented a lot of flames, bannings and ill will.

AYBABTU?

9. Indecent

Indecent Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Another grievance

Slacker persecution. Can we lose this. Seeing you lost your sense of humour it shouldn't be to hard.

10. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    Hear hear, AYBATU!

11. Otter in my Shorts

Otter in my Shorts Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2000
    Let's all not forget that all mods/managers/admins were regular peons at one time.

In fact, many of the mods/managers/admins were banned at one time or the other for many of the same things the Slackers/Base'rs (Dantooine Base)/Episode-X'ers are being banned for.

Some examples of former banned users are Sons of the Suns, Farraday, and PreacherBoy. I'm not sure of the specifics on why SOTS, Farry, or PB were banned and I would like to know why they were banned. You know so I won't make those same mistakes.

12. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't think you guys get it. The current administration is going for inconsistency, so there's no need to suggest other topics to be locked. They'll just lock some others when it tickles their fancy, apparantly.

13. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    He is trying to illustrate absurdity by being absurd. It would be stupid to lock all those other threads, just as it was stupid to have locked the threads we are now in part complaining about.

14. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I was trying to be sarcastic. I failed :(

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I have documented the reasons behind my banning (which occured well over 3 years ago) in this thread.

16. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I understand the disgust some of you have for the administration, but some of the complaining in these threads is so rude, abrasive, and destructive it gets no sympathy from me. Not to say that I don't agree with some of the things that are being said. But I'm having a hard time believing some of you really want changes if you (apparently) don't even take the time to reflect and debate constructively. Try coming up with solutions along with problems.

17. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Oh yeah, and whats the deal with you guys replying to Bismarks unban request saying:
    Oh shut up
    very helpful.

18. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    StarFire,

I explained several counter arguments to this point of view in the most recently locked thread. All of our well thought out, reasonably posted, non-controversial posts are ignored by all the admins. They may pop in to show their names and that they were there, but they don't care. The never discuss the issues with us, and the don't respond. The only way to get them to hear us (at least so far as we can tell) is to be rude, arrogant, concieted, and sarcastic. Then, they inevitably ban us for posts that would have resulted in warnings for others. No one with any authority responds to us. They act as if they don't want us to be here, ignore us until we irritate them enough, and then banned, no explanation, no due process, nothing. It is crap, and it needs to stop.

19. Otter in my Shorts

Otter in my Shorts Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2000
    Thank you SOTS for coming out and being open with us like that. That was really fabulous of you.

See, folks this is what we need more of:
    COMMUNICATION over CONFRONTATION in this SITUATION.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!
    [image=http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct99/jesse.gif]

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

That was in poor taste, Otter, and counter-productive and pathetic.

I hope that the Administration can discern between those of us who try to make valid points and those who wish to bait and inflame.

AYBABTU?

21. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I know that there are people out there, thoughtful people, who want to try to constructively change the situation. But recently, when I scroll through threads of this type, some posters display such a negative and abusive attitude that I would be very reluctant to submit myself to if I were a mod. See Indecent's post directly above yours, Cetera. Yes, it airs a grievance, but doesn't help the situation at all.

I suggest anybody who's serious about making changes stay out of threads if they don't think they can constructively help the situation. Err on the side of caution. If you don't you're only contributing to the very same thing you're protesting.

22. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    AYBATYU, you can't deny the blantant misdeed occured in the reply to Bismarks unban request reply. Sure the guys annoying, but it doesn't matter... did PR skills suddenly drop while I was away?

23. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    You wear these shoes and try not to be negative.

24. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    BISMARCK's unban request was a pathetic joke about him being some sort of Muslim radical and how we should respect his beliefs. I couldn't think of anything else to tell him besides "Oh, shut up". If he wanted an actual response, he should've sent in an actual request.

25. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I agree with SOTS on this issue.

If you guys are going to list grievances, can't you try to at least stick to the valid ones? I'd have told him to "shut up" after that nonsense too. There are plenty of issues to bring up without resorting to childishness and blatant disruption.

AYBABTU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.