main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Guardian in the Desert (Obi-Wan/Luke post-ROTS vignettes) Author Note 1/25/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Tracking :D

Whoops, did I just delurk a week late? Opps :oops: [face_blush] :p

2. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    * people in the cantina where sitting in the Cantina reading "Guardian in the Desert" and drinking their drinks* when suddenly they heard a loud noise. After a moment of distraction they returned to their old habbit of reading, replying and crying**. Then there was even louder noise upstairs. One brave fellow, called Darth Lex, better know as Mr.Evil Author, stood up from his glass and went to check what was happening upstairs. While he was in the middle of the stairs, he saw suddenly a weird and big object flying at a pretty big speed towards the window he was just in front of. He made two quick moves and made it just in time to see the object breaking the window and missing him by few inches in his quick flight towards the deck of the cantina. The object hit few steps and made few rolls before it came to rest. Everyone stood from their chairs and gathered quickly around the object that just landed on the table, where TKL with her friends was playing sabacc. Everyone couldn't tell who was this person that was lying on the broken table, when suddenly Shinar said "Chimpo you forgot the explosives!!!!" *

With this short prologue I can say "I'm here" :D

First off all I need to ask one thing...

What in the name of all Siths does ?Choy-kla!? mean? :p

?Of course. The Sand People are my speciality.?

:D Nice line hehe :D

?Always on the move.?

Ben should make his own "Guide to good quotes" :D

One more thing...

Why does so many people laugh from this line ?Yes. I see. A shoikler,? ? :confused:

That was a really cool viggie :D

* - for people under 18 or 21 ( depends from what country you are ) those were non-alcohol drinks ;)
    ** - from laugh or sadness

3. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Shinar said "Chimpo you forgot the explosives!!!!"

Darn it, this is like the third time! Next time I'm gonna have Auntie's chickens bring them instead! [face_chicken] :p

Now sit down, it's your turn to deal!

4. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    [face_chicken] [face_chicken] *** chickens loaded down with explosives come to Shinar's assistance! *** [face_chicken] [face_chicken]

Ask and you shall recieve, my dear! [:D]

TKL , I can't believe it took me so long to find out about this! It wonderful! =D= Obi-Wan was written perfectly as a bridge between RotS and ANH. Seeing Beru's POV is always interesting, because I have often wondered how the relationship between the Lars' and Obi evolved over the years, so that it got to the point of Luke thinking of Obi as "crazy old Ben" & Owen being so hostile. We don't really see that at the end of RotS, so it's sort of left to our imaginings. I can't wait to see where else you go with this! Bless that vicious little plot bunny! [face_laugh]

5. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    * takes axe *

Those chickens are taking my job!!! We need to make them headless ;) :D

6. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    This was lovely! The typical focus of Luke's foster family seems to always be on the conflict between Owen and Ben. It was good to see such a skillfully written version from another angle. Beru in the mother's role - loving Luke as if he were hers, spending time with girlfriends - was just great. I really like the idea of her being loyal to Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan being their protector. Having him take care of the sandpeople was an especially nice touch. :)

7. Yui-chan

Yui-chan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Yay! & etc., etc.,

You got this archived? Well it's truly deserving! Congratulations!

8. warm_fuzzy

warm_fuzzy Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    Special delivery: a Warm Fuzzy for TKeira_Lea!

This was an absolutely adorable vignette! I must admit, I have quite the soft spot for people with warm and fuzzy hearts, such as your version of small-child Luke here. He's so cute! Stories of such people make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

I absolutely loved this part:

She should have known Luke wouldn?t fall. He would never fall. Because her son was special. Her son - who wasn?t her son, but rather the son of the greatest Jedi ever - had unique powers. If she were honest, Beru might never have to fear the obvious. Instead, she would always fear the future, the unknown. She feared Luke?s destiny.

?Choy-kla!?

Luke, on the other hand, feared nothing. He resumed his hunt with carefree abandon, determined to finish his quest.

It's such a wonderful piece of introspection - a mother's fears for a child she knows will change the galaxy someday contrasted with the child's complete oblivion to that fact. The worries of motherhood, the carefreeness of childhood. Wonderful job with that! :D

And Obi-Wan was so wonderful with little Luke! I absolutely loved how he let the insect go and turned it into a life-lesson for the kid. And Beru's thoughts on the matter are equally wonderfully well-written:

There was a momentous turn of history in the making, yet all her friends saw was a mysterious handsome stranger with an intriguing accent.

And the return of Obi-Wan as Negotiator was a nice touch. ;)

Fantastic job with portraying everyone in this vignette. Keep writing such sweet, wonderful, warm and fuzzy things, TKeira_Lea!

~~~

I am the King of the League of the Warm Fuzzies. My true identity is a secret, but there is a way for you to join the League of the Warm Fuzzies to find out who I am! Simply reply to 5 stories you've never posted on before - this is a great chance to delurk! - just like I've replied to your story. These replies are called Warm Fuzzies, because they make people feel warm and fuzzy inside! Once you've given out 5 Warm Fuzzies, let me know via PM and I'll respond with an invitation to join the League - and my name.

I hope I made you feel warm and fuzzy inside today, and I hope you'll join me in spreading that feeling all over the boards! :D

9. Sidra_the_fluffball

Sidra_the_fluffball Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    *thumps tail*

*is always fuzzy and overly warm due to said fuzziness*

*is the best footwarmer EVER*

10. warm_fuzzy

warm_fuzzy Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    Oh dear, I'm not supposed to post on the same story twice - the warmth and fuzziness must be spread! - but I simply can't resist warm and fuzzy things!

*pets the dog*

11. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Shinar: Whoops, did I just delurk a week late? Opps

Yeah. Sokay :p Now go get some warm fuzzies [face_mischief]

Chimpo: Everyone couldn't tell who was this person that was lying on the broken table, when suddenly Shinar said "Chimpo you forgot the explosives!!!!"

Funny Sithly Monkey [face_monkey]

What in the name of all Siths does ?Choy-kla!? mean?

Well it?s five-year-old speak for shoikler. What shoikler means is another matter?you might ask Leona about that one [face_mischief]

Auntie: Obi-Wan was written perfectly as a bridge between RotS and ANH. [/i]

Wow! Thanks [face_blush]

Seeing Beru's POV is always interesting, because I have often wondered how the relationship between the Lars' and Obi evolved over the years, so that it got to the point of Luke thinking of Obi as "crazy old Ben" & Owen being so hostile.

Yeah that is sort of where I am coming from too. We?ll see how that evolves?

Reihla: This was lovely!

Thank you :D

The typical focus of Luke's foster family seems to always be on the conflict between Owen and Ben. It was good to see such a skillfully written version from another angle.

Honestly I was sort of nervous attempting Beru because she was such an unknown to me. But I?m glad you liked her POV. Going to do a bit more Owen/Ben coming up though?

I really like the idea of her being loyal to Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan being their protector. Having him take care of the sandpeople was an especially nice touch.

I?m still working on my theories but I imagine that Luke is truly a blessing to Beru. Perhaps she can?t have children for whatever. I just see her as being very indebted to Obi-Wan for this special gift.

Yui-chan: You got this archived? Well it's truly deserving! Congratulations!

Warm)Fuzzy: Special delivery: a Warm Fuzzy for TKeira_Lea!

Oooo! :D

This was an absolutely adorable vignette! I must admit, I have quite the soft spot for people with warm and fuzzy hearts, such as your version of small-child Luke here. He's so cute! Stories of such people make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Luke is warm and fuzzy [face_mischief]

It's such a wonderful piece of introspection - a mother's fears for a child she knows will change the galaxy someday contrasted with the child's complete oblivion to that fact. The worries of motherhood, the carefreeness of childhood. Wonderful job with that!

Why thanks! I wanted to really try and find what made Beru tick. You summarized nicely what I determined and tried to portray.

And the return of Obi-Wan as Negotiator was a nice touch.

My fave [face_love]

Sidra_the_fluffball: *thumps tail*

Pets the fluffy puppy

I?ll be posting shortly. Be watching!

12. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Luke - Age 6

Hidden Treasures

?Biggs, Tank, come on!?

A second later three boys were shuffling up the stairs. From his seat in the kitchen area, Owen watched as one boy practically toppled the other in an effort to reach the great outdoors. Not that there was much to see but an endless plain of desert stretching in every direction. Still, boys had a way of making an adventure out of nothing, even in the desolate reaches of a forsaken planet like Tatooine.

?It?s getting toward sunset,? Beru noted as she placed a handful of vegetables in the evaporator.

Owen shut his eyes and inhaled. What was left unsaid gave him a reason to pause. Yes, the sun was setting; it was the fact that the boys were playing outside, while the sun was setting, that meant anything and everything.

Opening his eyes, Owen kicked his chair back and rose with a slow stretch to absorb the kinks of a long day. ?I?ll be up top,? he said, then remembered to smile.

Beru simply kept about her food preparations, offering him a happy grin in return. She was so beautiful when she smiled, and so happy to have Luke. The boy meant everything to her, and Owen felt no less affection toward the child. He just worried?

His wearied legs became heavier with each step up, the effort of a day?s hard work taking its toll ? until the unadulterated laughter of three boys caught his attention. Owen jogged the rest of the way, slowing only when he caught sight of the children at play.

?Stop! Stop!? Luke shrieked.

And rightfully so, as Tank wrestled the slim boy to the ground. Biggs merely jumped around, cheering the unofficial contestants on. For an instant, Owen considered intervening. Then he remembered that life was a harsh reality. No one would ultimately be able to save Luke from his fate.

Right as that thought wrenched his moisture farmer?s simple sensibilities into a knot, Luke managed to give him hope. The boy twisted, maneuvering his body in an uncanny way. Suddenly, Luke was on top with Tank pinned beneath him.

?Beat you!? Luke exclaimed, jumping up and down victoriously.

?Did not!? Tank protested.

?He did too!? Biggs insisted.

Suddenly outnumbered and apparently defeated, Tank puffed his plump torso. ?That?s ?cuz Luke moves like a Yando worm. So slippery and wiggly no one could hold onto him.?

Biggs broke into a round of guffaws, and Luke?s victory dance stalled in righteous indignation.

?Luke?s a worm,? Biggs snickered.

?A wormie worm,? Tank embellished.

With that, the battle was back on. Owen stepped forward, meaning to break up the scuffle, until he realized there was more play than punishment involved. The tumbling melodrama continued for only as long as a trio of boys? attention spans lasted, then they separated and rallied into the next game.

Owen might have watched their antics forever, but his ever-wary mind sent a niggling urge that had to be heeded. Something in the red and orange blush of the twin suns? dying throes had caught his eye. To get a better view, he moved to the lip of the desert dune that jutted up to the homestead?s edge.

Planting one leg up on the dune, Owen squinted. He assessed an indeterminate outline blurred by the heat of the day stored in the desert sand now rising into the early evening air. Not that he didn?t already know who it was. Only one man would be foolish enough to brave a trek across the desert at this time of day. Only one man could dare such a feat.

Tatooine was rife with danger. If the sun didn?t suck the life out of a person, the Sand People would. And those were just the immediate and prevalent threats. Still, Owen had to admit that the Tusken Raiders were seldom seen in these parts, certainly not like back in the days when Shmi had been stolen from them. No matter, not even one second?s lapse was worth the price they had paid, and Owen made himself check the horizon once more.

Jedi or no Jedi, the safety of his family was ultimately Owen?s responsibility.

Soon enough the former Jedi General,

13. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :( My heart just breaks for Obi. He deserved a much happier life than what he ended up with. Loved the origins of Luke's nickname from the OT. :) Nice to see him with his friends.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What a wonderful job with the boys. Amazing how children in the worst of conditions still all play and find ways to laugh and have fun. Love the origin of Wormie!

?When I was a pa? when I was a boy I had a similar treasure box.? I literally just moaned in pain at that.. so sad.

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Soon enough the former Jedi General, the war hero turned enemy of the Empire, climbed the small rise of dune, only stopping his deliberate march once he stood before Owen. ?Good day for a walk,? Obi-Wan said with a wry smile.

Owen regarded the heat waves billowing off the sands behind Ben. ?Only if you favor a walk through hell.?

There was a momentary flicker in the Jedi?s blue eyes, then all Owen noticed was a few more wrinkles at their edge. ?Ah. I have been to what some might call hell.? He rubbed his beard. ?I would favor here.?
    So true. Molten lava is a lot hotter than desert.

I liked the bit about the origins of Luke's "wormie" handle.

16. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Ahh the hells that Obi-wan has been through...thinks back to ROTS...the poor man.

Loved how Luke got the nickname "wormie".

Very lovely...

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, this was perfect! You've done such a wonderful job of painting life on Tatooine. And I love how Obi-wan made the puzzle box, as if he knew that Owen wouldn't allow him to teach Luke, yet he had to do something to help the poor child along! And I love the origin of the "Wormie" nickname...as awful as it is! (The name, not the explanation. The explanation just makes the nickname almost seem...cool!)

I really love these vignettes. I hope to see more! :)

18. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Another great vignette! :D I especially enjoyed seeing the Biggs and Tank of one of the infamous Skywalker whines. :p And as others have said, great idea for the origin of the Wormie nickname. :cool:

The boy meant everything to her, and Owen felt no less affection toward the child. He just worried?
    Wonderful Owen characterization here. He may use that gruff exterior with Luke at times, but deep down he?s a big softy. :)

For an instant, Owen considered intervening. Then he remembered that life was a harsh reality. No one would ultimately be able to save Luke from his fate.
    I really like this line. Partly because I?ve always thought Owen?s stern attitude with Luke was as much for teaching him about life as anything else, instilling values like responsibility and independence. Partly too because Luke?s ultimate fate is a testament to Owen?s success ? Luke grew into a man strong enough to face down the Emperor as a Jedi with only the Force as his ally.

?Ah. I have been to what some might call hell.? He rubbed his beard. ?I would favor here.?
    Poor Obi-Wan? :_|

?Here. There. Anchorhead perhaps, or ??
    Very nice mischievous Obi-Wan line. :D

Only the fact that Obi-Wan had brought Luke into their lives kept Owen from hating him outright in that moment.
    All parents know their children will grow up and face life on their own, but with Luke?s heritage and legacy it?s no wonder Owen dreads that future more than most? [:D]

Looking forward to the next one! ;)

19. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    ?It is hard for any Force-sensitive child to relate. Young ones are so intolerant of differences once they notice.?

Owen drew up. ?No one notices.?

Slowly, the Jedi turned. ?For now.?

?You listen,? Owen said, crossing his arms. ?No one wants to protect that boy more than I do. He means everything in the world to Beru and I ??

?Of that I have no doubt.? Obi-Wan held up a palm, then returned it calmly to the folds of his robes. ?Perhaps if I were allowed to work with Luke, he would be better able to control ??

?No.? Owen shook his head emphatically.

?But ??

?No,? Owen said, louder this time. ?Luke is not going to be sucked into your Jedi games. The same games that got his fath??

Very telling few lines. Luke is already demonstrating Force abilities; Obi-Wan is eager that Luke should confront what would be his destiny, and Owen's fears and resistance to it.

?Ben?s been places way better than Anchorhead,? Luke said. ?I heard Aunt Beru and her friends talking about it.?
    Betya Redya was the one talking to Aunt Beru about it. ;) [face_batting] [face_mischief]

His friends seemed unimpressed, but Luke hung on every word. By the look on the boy?s face, Ben?s answer had inspired an idea. ?Can you stay for dinner?? Luke spurted out. ?Aunt Beru?s making Bantha burgers and blue milk cake.?

Ben rose abruptly, and Owen caught a look in his eyes ? wanting or wistfulness, he wasn?t sure. ?I am sure your Aunt doesn?t need the extra burden.

Poor Obi-Wan. :_| How tough those years on Tattoine must have been for him. :( [:D]

A wuicka, a shoikler, even a rare llok.
    [face_laugh] I agree with Tank, ?Dat?s nead,?

Great job once again, my twin. =D=

Can't wait for more as usual. :D

edit: because I inadvertently made a funny.

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    TK: whoah!! :eek:

SO good!! :D :D :D :D

What do I rave about most? The humanity of Owen Lars, always havingt to be mindful of every detail?

The inevitable hostility he has towards Ben - so different, so... effortless, yet at the same time, a man of the galaxy rather than just the world...

Luke, Biggs and Tank?! The way you give each of them a different voice, a different shape, a different way of moving?

Or the way you used the whole structure of the vignette to bring out Luke's latent strength and insight in the Force...

*goes back and checks*

Yep - already, in that first line, he knew that Ben was coming, even if he didn't know that he knew...

Did Owen? o_O :p

Did Beru?! :eek: :D

You rule! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

21. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Very nicely done, Kia! :D I just love the way Luke became Wormie. Always wondered how he ever got stuck with that. :p Your explanation makes perfect sense. :D I still call my 12-year-old brother by his infant nickname of Bug. Drives him crazy. [face_mischief]

Great job! [:D]

22. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Great origin for the nickname.

I loved the treasure box. I feel so bad for Obi-Wan and just wish Owen would let him teach Luke a little something.

23. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    *runs in*

*skids to a stop to avoid bumping into other readers*

*Announces self*

I finally made it!

I kept meaning to start these and then kept getting distracted. Both of these viggies have been very powerful. The views of the adoptive parents. Their love and fear for their child.

Not Mine

Her son - who wasn?t her son, but rather the son of the greatest Jedi ever - had unique powers.

It's so sad how Beru had to remind herself that Luke was not biologically her son when she see's him unconciously using the Force. It's great that she realizes though that he is her son, in all the ways that matter. He's just a son she shares with parents who are gone.

He held it up like he was offering it to someone, someone Beru couldn?t see. She was out of her seat in an instant, her corner of the quilt practically forgotten on the ground

There go those motherly instincts again. Stranger danger and what not. Except we like this stranger.

Beru wanted to be mad, wanted to chase this man away. She wanted to tell him to leave her son alone. But in the end, they needed him.

This is sad in so many ways. If I were a parent, I might be annoyed with someone else trying to teach my child life lessons like this. Especially if it was someone who I knew loved my child as much as I did. And Luke's case is so unique. But she knows that if one Darth Vader ever found out that Luke had been born and came looking for him, Obi-Wan may have to take Luke away. And I think that's what scares her the most, that Obi-Wan has the power to take her son away. To protect him if he's in danger.

?I could listen to that man talk all day,? Redya said quite suddenly.

Oh yeah. Me too.[face_love]

This was the price of the gift Obi-Wan Kenobi had given them. This was the price for Luke.

Well you know what they say: The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

He tipped his head respectfully. ?Of course. The Sand People are my speciality.?

*swoons*

*tries not to faint*

[face_love]

Beru blushed. He would know; he would always know. ?He likes to fix things. He fixed that silly droid all on his own, at only five. I imagine he gets that from his father??

In the most literal sense, probably. We all know Anakin was mechanically inclined. It follows that Luke would be too. Just like Luke ends up being a great pilot.

Obi-Wan pulled up the cowl of his cloak so his expression was hidden. ?Always fixing things. Perhaps more like his mother in that way.?

Ah, here comes the philosophical sense. Yes, Padme was always trying to fix the galaxy, and the people in it. Trying to make it a better place to live in. That's what makes her untimely demise an even greater tragedy.

Obi-Wan pulled up the cowl of his cloak so his expression was hidden. ?Always fixing things. Perhaps more like his mother in that way.?

Amazing. It's a true testament of her character that she is able to recognize those things inspite of everything.

Hidden Treasures

The boy meant everything to her, and Owen felt no less affection toward the child. He just worried?

It's sad that his worry had caused him to deny Luke his past. And perhaps more affection. I can understand his reason for denying the past. It would have opened a floodgate of questions that he may have not been able to answer and it may cause Luke to want to go off to train to be a Jedi. And since he did not have all the facts of the story, he only knew something bad had happened, Luke training as a Jedi was the last thing he wanted.

Suddenly outnumbered and apparently defeated, Tank puffed his plump torso. ?That?s ?cuz Luke moves like a Yando worm. So slippery and wiggly no one could hold onto him.?

Ah, the origins of Wormie. Loving it!

There was a momentary flicker in the Jedi?s blue eyes, then all Owen noticed was a few more wrinkles at their edge. ?Ah. I have been to what some might call hell.? He rubbed his beard. ?I would favor here.?

*bites lip*

24. whie_dreams

whie_dreams Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2005
    Enjoyed these muchly. More please. :)

25. RenSquared

RenSquared Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    *delurks*
    I just found this and I had to make a comment. I just love the way you captured Obi-Wan. You have done a wonderful job giving us these little segments of the life of these characters between ROTS and ANH. Awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.