main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Guardian in the Desert (Obi-Wan/Luke post-ROTS vignettes) Author Note 1/25/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD EVENING!

obi_ew: My heart just breaks for Obi. He deserved a much happier life than what he ended up with.

Ah, but he always knew he?d never have it. That?s what makes us love him so much.

Loved the origins of Luke's nickname from the OT

That was just a silly point I wanted to add in for my own fun. I?m glad everyone liked it.

Healer_Leona: What a wonderful job with the boys.

I have good nephew role models ;) Thanks :)

Love the origin of Wormie!

*jumps in glee* Everyone loves the Wormie [face_dancing]

I literally just moaned in pain at that.. so sad.

I know :_|

RebelMom: Molten lava is a lot hotter than desert.

Yes. Somehow, I always imagined Tatooine seemed easy after Mustafar.

I liked the bit about the origins of Luke's "wormie" handle.

That?s three! :D

jade51999: Ahh the hells that Obi-wan has been through...thinks back to ROTS...the poor man.

Makes you wanna give him a hug huh?

Loved how Luke got the nickname "wormie".

Four :D

ginchy: Oh, this was perfect! You've done such a wonderful job of painting life on Tatooine.

I lived in Kansas for a while. Not desert but boring plains with nothing to do. Heehee. I drew on that.

And I love how Obi-wan made the puzzle box, as if he knew that Owen wouldn't allow him to teach Luke, yet he had to do something to help the poor child along!

Exactly ;)

And I love the origin of the "Wormie" nickname...as awful as it is! (The name, not the explanation. The explanation just makes the nickname almost seem...cool!)

Got it ;) Five =D=

Lex: I especially enjoyed seeing the Biggs and Tank of one of the infamous Skywalker whines. And as others have said, great idea for the origin of the Wormie nickname.

Six :D

Wonderful Owen characterization here. He may use that gruff exterior with Luke at times, but deep down he?s a big softy.

Oh thanks. I only have that little bit of Owen in the movies to draw on, but I was trying to bridge the AotC Owen with the ANH Owen.

Very nice mischievous Obi-Wan line.

Thanks [face_mischief]

Red: Very telling few lines. Luke is already demonstrating Force abilities; Obi-Wan is eager that Luke should confront what would be his destiny, and Owen's fears and resistance to it.

Yes. I always thought that Luke?s dismissal of how easy it was to shoot womprats in ANH had more to do with his Force abilities than anyone realized. Here?s Obi trying to develop them already. Makes it easier to believe when Luke deflects those blaster bolts in the Falcon. ;)

Betya Redya was the one talking to Aunt Beru about it.

[face_batting] You think? :p

I agree with Tank, ?Dat?s nead,?

*giggles at mi gemela*

Thrawn McEwok: What do I rave about most? The humanity of Owen Lars, always havingt to be mindful of every detail?

Glad you liked my Owen. :)

The inevitable hostility he has towards Ben - so different, so... effortless, yet at the same time, a man of the galaxy rather than just the world...

Great point about Ben.

Luke, Biggs and Tank?! The way you give each of them a different voice, a different shape, a different way of moving?

Do I? [face_curious]

You rule!

Thanks! *gives an Ewok hug*

Kima: I just love the way Luke became Wormie.

I think that?s six! [face_dancing]

Always wondered how he ever got stuck with that. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

I always wondered too! So I had to do something about it.

I still call my 12-year-old brother by his infant nickname of Bug. Drives him crazy.

Heeheee! Luckily I don?t have a silly nickname like that.

Master_Noi: Great origin for the nickname.

Seven! :D Thanks ;)

I loved the treasure box.

Glad to hear it. We?ll see more of it in subsequent viggies.

I feel so bad

2. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I love these viggies. If you have a PM list, I'd love to be on it. The way you portray your characters, especially Obi-Wan--I feel so bad for him!!

3. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Laine_Snowtrekker: I love these viggies.

If you have a PM list, I'd love to be on it.

Hmmm. I actually don't, but I've had a couple requests. I'll try to remember ;)

The way you portray your characters, especially Obi-Wan--I feel so bad for him!!

Good, I wanted some good Obi pity. Hugs for the Jedi [:D]

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for little Luke in the '05 SFFA. I was truly stunned and deeply honored to receive the Sage Best Child Award. Also, Not Mine was Archived last week. Check it out [face_dancing]

4. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Congrats, mi gemela! [face_dancing]

=D= =D= =D=

For the SFFA win and for getting archived, both well-deserved

[:D]

A bouquet for you. [face_love]

@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-
    @};- @};- @};- @};- @};-

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Why oh why did it take me so long to get to this??!!! :mad:

I love your writing, TKL! I can see why you get all these awards!

Your characterization of Ben is spot on and I love the excited Luke. He makes suchs such a wonderful foil to the darkness that swarms around Ben. I imagine that's why Ben visits when he can...to be infused with that little boy's happiness. My son does that for me after a hard day's work. The fact that you do this so well is a testament to your great writing.

If you have a PM list when you update, please add me to it. :)

*goes off to read Leia's story*

6. RenSquared

RenSquared Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    I think I'll give this one a bump. I cannot wait for the next posting.

7. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    red:

Congrats, mi gemela! For the SFFA win and for getting archived, both well-deserved

Thanks! :D [:D]

Now you owe me again. Hidden Treasures was just archived! [face_dancing]

A bouquet for you.

Mmmmm?flowers @};-

Souderwan: Why oh why did it take me so long to get to this??!!!

I dunno?why?

:confused:

He makes suchs such a wonderful foil to the darkness that swarms around Ben. I imagine that's why Ben visits when he can...to be infused with that little boy's happiness.

The memories of a happier day I am sure are a fine reminder of why he endures.

My son does that for me after a hard day's work.

Souderwan JR, eh?

The fact that you do this so well is a testament to your great writing.

And I don?t even have kids :p

RenSquared: I think I'll give this one a bump. I cannot wait for the next posting.

Oh my. Thanks for the bump. I am on a sort of hiatus. Here?s hoping to be back soon?

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words. [:D]

8. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Aw. :D TKL, those were both lovely! So character-revealing: Beru, Owen, Obi-Wan, and Luke....I love them! There are so many wonderful lines, I can't pick just one, but I love the bit about "Wormie" (brilliant) and every single thing Obi-Wan said. Your Obi-Wan sort of reminds me of Stover's (very Jacen-esque, and you know how I feel about him [face_love] ), very acceptant and controlled and compassionate, but you can almost see the sorrow in his eyes. Lovely glimpse of what Luke's life might have been like. Near perfect, as are all your works.

Is it too soon to ask for more?

9. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Mrs_Durron: Glad to see you over here!

There are so many wonderful lines, I can't pick just one, but I love the bit about "Wormie" (brilliant) and every single thing Obi-Wan said.

Poor Wormie! I used to wonder where he got that nickname so I had to give him a good reason.

Your Obi-Wan sort of reminds me of Stover's (very Jacen-esque, and you know how I feel about him ), very acceptant and controlled and compassionate, but you can almost see the sorrow in his eyes.

I?ll take that as the highest compliment :D

For those of you interested, I have started another parallel series for Mara Jade as a child. I?m running the viggies, considering they are occurring the same year, and have assumed Mara to be a couple years older than the twins for this purpose. It?s an interesting glimpse at how differently Mara?s life would have been?

If you?re interested, check out Keeper of the Siege

10. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    * needs to remember to put a reply to last post *

11. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Chimpo: Yes you do! :p

Barring Hurricane Wilma taking a wild run at S Florida, look for a new post on Saturday :D

12. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    The reply I owe :)

Wormie Worm... :p LOL... Cool nickname... He should now be telling Killiks that he is the Grand Worm ;) :p

Poor Ben :( He had been in hell and now it's like being in it too :(

OK that's it :) Another nice post :) Should be here on Saturday :)

13. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    =D= I find it interesting that this viggie gets to show us Luke at a time when he is happy and carefree... something we never get to see otherwise. But both Owen & Obi-Wan are suffering, though for different reasons. Obi because of his sorrows for the past and Owen mostly for the his worries for the future. Both of which is affecting what they want to do as far as raising Luke.

Quite beautiful, my dear! [:D] I love the origins of Wormie too!

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    "?Good day for a walk,? Obi-Wan said with a wry smile.

Owen regarded the heat waves billowing off the sands behind Ben. ?Only if you favor a walk through hell.?

There was a momentary flicker in the Jedi?s blue eyes, then all Owen noticed was a few more wrinkles at their edge. ?Ah. I have been to what some might call hell.? He rubbed his beard. ?I would favor here.?

The words came out like a kindly adage, but there were layers of truth and pain that rolled through the air with them."

This is absolutely perfect - understated and yet full of many layers, of pain and acceptance and Jedi calmness.

Beautiful stories, both of them.

15. light-

light- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    ?Ah. I have been to what some might call hell.?
    [face_chicken]
    no kidding.. mustafar would be a good example

16. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Good evening!

I can't keep up! Quick, before tomorrow...

Chimpo: Wormie Worm... LOL... Cool nickname... He should now be telling Killiks that he is the Grand Worm

Ugh! No bug jokes!

Should be here on Saturday

Wilma is moving slowly, so I should be here too ;)

Auntie: I find it interesting that this viggie gets to show us Luke at a time when he is happy and carefree... something we never get to see otherwise.

And it's a joy to write him without the burdens of real life.

But both Owen & Obi-Wan are suffering, though for different reasons. Obi because of his sorrows for the past and Owen mostly for the his worries for the future. Both of which is affecting what they want to do as far as raising Luke.

It's an interesting dynamic for sure. Both have their burdens and both have their personal agenda in regards to this poor unknowing boy.

[face_chicken]

Valairy_Scot: Welcome! :D

This is absolutely perfect - understated and yet full of many layers, of pain and acceptance and Jedi calmness.

Oh my [face_blush] You jump in with a bang. I am for understated, don't always hit it, but I'm glad the layers are there for you to discover and peel back. :D

Beautiful stories, both of them.

Thank you.

light-: Welcome again! :D

no kidding.. mustafar would be a good example

Funny you should mention that [face_thinking]

Tomorrow's post dredges up old memories of Obi-Wan's hell...

Thanks all for the great replies. See you tomorrow with a post ;)

17. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Luke ? Age 7

Forged

Fire consumed him.

Angry gases burned his lungs. Heat singed his brows. Reds and oranges tortured his arid eyes. It hurt to exist, let alone endure.

Dodging clods of flaming rock, he recalled a story told by a friend, a legend about the layers of the Corellian hells, each worse than the last. He was sure he had dropped straight to the bottom, where skin melted and hair fried. But he couldn't even suffer for it or the darkness would catch him.

The darkness. The dark thing. A creature. An abomination forged in some diabolical inferno. It pursued him, hungrier than the flames licking at his boots. It swiped and kicked and clawed unrelentingly. He could not yield to its power. Defeat was not an option.

He parried and blocked, countered and feinted with the dark. A deadly dance no one would win. With a crash of his sword he battered the night, knocking it back. He scrambled away, the quaking ground giving him no purchase. Climbing higher, he glimpsed possible fortune. Hope. An end.

"Don't do it," he said.

"I have grown more powerful than even you can imagine," the darkness told him.

Even the dark fears the light. Burn bright. He let in the Force. Hell had no hold over him. The darkness leapt, wanting to steal his very soul. The light pierced the night; there was nothing else it could do.

Mortal and wounded, lying on the burning blanket of scree, what was once a knight tumbled down. Another level. Only now had Hell shown its true face. Worse than the unimaginable. A brother lost, a friendship torn asunder, when the only right choice was wrong.

Now the mutilated fiend was dying, and hated his brother for it.

How had it come to this?

There was no salvation here, only ashes and molten rock to pass judgment on the course of a life. He wanted to hate the abomination for leading him to this place, where being right was so utterly wrong. He ached to scream his sorrow into this bellowing, belching noxious world.

But all he could do was watch. The darkness refused to die. Struggling against the slope, clawing the volcanic gravel, it strained to rise. Desperate and fearful. Despair. Hopelessness. The power which gave him life - born of fire - could take it away. Even the cleaved limbs refused to surrender to the lava.

Horrified, he watched as the man, what was left him, writhed away from the river of fire in a futile struggle. Hell was not a place to be shaken. A soul sold could not be stolen back. Flames with a ravenous appetite licked at the stumps, and the more the darkness thrashed the more the flames danced with glee, until the remnant erupted in a ball of fire stoked by the madness of hate.

A scream unlike any other, full of bitter rage, washed across him like a hot wave. He averted his eyes; he couldn't watch.

A chorus of cries pierced the night, multiple voices all in a discordant dirge with the dying gasps. He had no choice but to look. His brother was no more, but the stumps?

The two legs. They were no longer legs, but shadowy human forms clawing at the bank, howling in agony. One a woman, the other a man. And the arm?It was a distinct form, smaller, human. A child. It lifted its head to reveal a pair of cool blue eyes boiling amidst the depths of this hell.

"Be-en," the child croaked. "Help me."

Obi-Wan woke with a jolt. He panted, drawing sense back to his scorched psyche. Drenched with sweat, his nightshirt clung to him in the desert's cool evening air. He shivered, but not from the chill.

What had he dreamed?

Had he dreamed?

"All dreams pass in time, Anakin."

"Not mine, Master. Not mine."

How many times had they had that conversation? He had forgotten. No, he had chosen to not remember, just like he had not thought of that place in quite some time. He had not allowed himself to think of Mustafar for one reason alone - Jedi did not regret.

Swinging off his cot, he settled his feet to the dirt floor, then reminded his lungs to breathe. The

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Om my, that dream... reading it left me breathless. Such chilling descriptions. Love Obi-Wan's thoughts as he raced to the Lras home, how he had done what he could to keep the predators of all sorts away.

It was never enough. How true!

The rescue... wow. Must admit that was quite suspenseful! Loved how Obi-Wan used Anakin's lightsaber and that last line... left me in tears.

Please take care TKL, be safe.

19. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The parallel fire nightmares and stories..*shiver*.

Stay safe Tkiera!

Thanks for this new viggie.

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Powerful stuff. I like how you tied it in to the last viggie. It is nice to see Owen getting involved - I can't see him standing by when his family is in danger. He should be glad that Obi had put the lightsaber in there - though I can't see him ever admitting it.

21. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Obi-Wan reached down and patted the lightsaber that lay at his side. "For you, old friend. For you."

:_|

This was an emotion packed posty my dear. The visuals had me hanging on the edge of my seat, hoping for a safe resolution. You're doing an amazing job portraying Obi-Wan. =D=

Hope you stay safe. :)

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, my! Hurricane shutters--be careful and stay safe! I'll keep you in my prayers!

As for this chapter...magnificent. I could just see this in my mind's eye...heck I was practically choking on the smoke from reading it. And how perfect that Luke's puzzle box was the key to getting out of the burning building...the Force does work in mysterious ways. Somehow I think that Owen will hide his thankfulness with his anger over Obi-Wan "sneaking" Anakin's lightsaber into his home. (But I loved Owen in this chapter...he does love Luke, and I love seeing that in a story!)

And how awesome that Luke could get so far into the box, being untrained. And did he actually "call" for Obi-Wan? Awesome.

This was really great...I enjoy this little series so much. Great job! =D=

23. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Very nice! I love Luke calling Obi-Wan to rescue them. And the hidden treasure reveals to us how Owen didn't want Obi-Wan to give Luke the lightsaber. Owen is so well written here... kind, hard working, but very taciturn.

24. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Great post. I'm glad I found this again. Nice way you snuck Anakin's lightsaber into the treasure box. I really love these viggies.

But did Obi-Wan lose his lightsaber? If so, how does he have one in ANH? Or does he get it back later?

25. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Wow! :eek: I should visit The Saga more often, I think. :D

But now I just need to say that I really really loved these viggies, TKeira Lea! [face_love]

Not Mine- Aww, little Luke is sooo cute! And I loved how Obi takes every opportunity he can to teach Luke about life and the Force, because he knows he won't get them very often. :_|

?I could listen to that man talk all day,? Redya said quite suddenly.

Aleon giggled. ?It?s not his voice that has you enamored, Reddie.?
    Back of the line, ladies, back of the line... ;)

Hidden Treasures- I'll echo everyone else and say I loved the bit about Luke's nickname, Wormie. My sister used to call me that all the time! [face_laugh]

But I felt so bad for Obi in this viggie. :( ?Ah. I have been to what some might call hell.? He rubbed his beard. ?I would favor here.? :_|

Poor Obi, I always get so sad when I think of him living alone in the desert for 20 years. But at least he still had a purpose in life, that of watching over Luke. And at least he kept himself occupied doing things like making that treasure box. ?When I was a pa? when I was a boy I had a similar treasure box.? :_|

Forged- That dream at the beginning was so sad. :( Because we know Obi was likey tormented with nightmares like that for a long time, with no one to reassure him when he woke up. :_|

I loved the image of Obi selflessly running barefoot across the desert to save Luke and family. So true to his character. [face_love]

And I loved how Obi had put Anakin's lightsaber in the treasure box, so tricksy. :D

Obi-Wan reached down and patted the lightsaber that lay at his side. "For you, old friend. For you." :_|

I'm very much looking forward to reading more of these! :D I'll just have to remember to come over here more often.

I hope you and yours stays safe, TKeira Lea. @};- @};- @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.