main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guitarists' Gathering

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zelda_Skywalker, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    If you're trying to switch between E and G, I'm guessing you mean the open chords. Another way would be to play an E and then an E-shaped G bar chord.

2. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm currently looking into purchasing a set of lipstick tube pickups for my olympic white rosewood fretboard Stratocaster. I also purchased a vintage mint green pickguard to go along with it. It's going to look and sound sweet.

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Mint green? Seriously?

4. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
  5. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    I don't like lipstick pickups myself...

6. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    What in particular don't you like?

What kind of electric do you play regularly?

7. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Well not many guitars come with them. Are you getting Seymour duncan's or Dimarzio's or something? I tried a Danelectro at my local store, I just found the sound slightly thinner than I'm used to. Just the tone and all of that..kinda hard to describe so late at night.:p

Well I'm used to having at least one Humbucker, the thick sound of the neck pickup on a distorted channel but volume turned down on the guitar so it only gives a slight grit to the sound, I use that for quiet blues leads or just less loud chords for anything. Just gives a nice thick sound. And the Les Paul(epiphone:( ) Bridge pick up, trebly but not necessarily thin, use that for everything else, though would go back to the neck for thick rhythm playing...or whatever...it's actually more like "whatever" for everything...though I actually do use the neck pick of a les paul turned down for quiet blues lead. :cool:

Though on my Tele I have a humbucker in the neck and a single on the bridge, though I put a Seymour Duncan in there to give it a bit more punch.

Personal Preference I guess.;)

Also Zaz...by mint green, it's more like Off White with a tinge of Green. I think? Correct me if I'm wrong Wandergaurd, or Zaz if you already knew.

8. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes, it's a very faint green. You can see one in that link I posted.

Oh, I'm getting a set from Guitarfetish.com. They're specifically designed to fit Stratocasters.

9. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There's just something crunchy in an EMG humbucker than lipstick pickups don't have. :D

ES

11. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Active pickups are just... Yuck.

Any piece of equipment which sacrifices tonal individuality for more output is a thumbs down in my book. Then again, I don't play metal, so I like a warm, pleasant, punchy tone.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It depends, I spose, entirely on your intended sound. I'm really into post-metal at the moment which does actually utilise a lot clean tones - yet the guitarists play a Les Paul and custom Telecaster (with a bridge humbucker).

But yeah, if you want punch, single coil pickups aren't your thing. :D

ES

13. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I disagree. I find that single coils offer the most punch, and the most bite, whereas humbuckers and really hot pickups are kind of flat sounding.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If that was the case, Wanderguard, why do the guitarists who want that oomph sound play Gibsons over Fenders? o_O

ES

15. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I think you're confusing "punch" with distortion. Distortion actually takes away from the effect I'm talking about.

EDIT: Listen to Jimi Hendrix's version of "Hey Joe". His tone in the intro, and especially in the solo are good examples of what I'm talking about when I say "punchy".

EDIT 2: No, better yet, listen to the solo on "The Wind Cries Mary". That's an even better example.

16. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Humbuckers aren't flat sounding and are definitely warmer than single coils which can be thin sounding. Also the treble pick-up on a gibson Esq type guitar has more punch than bridge Single coil. But a Neck Single does sound warm like in most Jimi Hendrix.
    Though a humbucker is more likely to produce distortion on a clean channel/single channel amp, than a single coil not necessarily sacrificing tone. Though if it's an active pick-up tone is not as high as gain on a priority list.

17. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I've honestly never heard a humbucker that could match the clean bite of a single coil. They distort, and get abrasive.

Humbuckers are definitely fatter, but I prefer note clarity to excessive warmth.

18. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Awwww I played guitar too soon after coming out of the shower...my callus' are coming off...oh well.

19. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    lol... I've never noticed that problem.

What size strings do you use?

20. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
  21. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I agree, humbuckers definitely have more output (especially actives, since they've got a friggin' battery-powered pre), but they don't bite quite as much as a single coil. I've never really looked into how different pickup types actually output sound, but it seems to me singles are often much more trebly, whereas humbuckers are more mid-rangey. Of course, singles get pretty noisy after a point, so it really depends on the sound you want.

22. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    That's the one thing I despise about single-coils, is the hum. And unfortunately I've never heard a noiseless single coil I liked.

As far as punch, humbuckers in the bridge position definitely take the cake, but it's still just a little bit different. They don't have the combination of dynamics and bite that single coils have. I love the note clarity and clean tone of a single coil above all else.

I think they sound good distorted too, just a little different. They're smoother when distorted, but at the same time more sporadic. Humbuckers are crunchy sounding, but they seem compressed so it's kind of a more uniform sound.

23. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    I had an Explorer with active EMGs and I could never get it to sound quite the way I wanted. Now I have a Flying V with passive 'buckers and it's exactly the sound I want.

24. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I read that EMGs, due to their active nature sacrifice tonal personality for higher output. That's an instant write-off for me.

25. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Don't they have "active" tone control? Generally tone isn't a big issue if you need that much gain. I think...I dunno never used active pick-ups...and this thread needs a bump:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.