main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Looks like antisemitism was the motive for this shooting.

2. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Gamiel likes this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  6. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I’m almost completely anti-2nd amendment (I don’t believe citizens should own weapons nor do I believe the 2nd amendment grants them that right for private ownership)

But being in the military and living in a red state... I get it. For some people shooting is recreational and to a lot of gun owners, it is for protecting themselves. Is their fear overblown? Definitely. However, it’s not like there haven’t been successful instances of a person defending themselves from assailants with a gun.

And hunting your own meat gives you wayyyy more meat than shopping at the super market lol.

Straudenbecker likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If more guns for “self-protection” actually made people safer, our crime rate per capita would be much lower than civilized developed countries with real gun laws.

8. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I’m not disagreeing. But on an individual basis, you can’t expect an average joe to think that if his home is broken into or he is assaulted that he is better off without a gun than with one.

Even though, the statistics say that owning a gun increases the fatality rate in those interactions.

So I’m not saying you’re wrong. The data supports our side. But the sentiment the other side possesses is not impossible to understand.

Your average citizen is not thinking when purchasing a firearm “hmm, I wonder if this will lower the crime rate in my neighborhood.”

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Darth Nerdling likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can expect “the average Joe” to think he is better off without a gun than with one. How are those of us here not “average joes”?

If people buying guns are ignoring data in favor of “sentiment,” then yes, that is impossible to accept, and only possible to understand using the reasoning that “they are using their emotions rather than their intellect” (or they have no intellect, take your pick)—and someone like that should definitely not own a gun.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Is Average Joe really prepared to kill a human being? People like to make all kinds of macho claims but I reckon the brain knows the difference between target range shooting and humans.

And if you do have people bragging about how they shot someone then you got another problem right there.

Rew, Runjedirun, vncredleader and 4 others like this.
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Well considering the good guy with a gun is so rare they pretty much don't exist, I think it's safe to say that your average Joe isn't going pull the trigger.

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Well we’re trained to be prepared to fire at humans. If a person broke into my house and my wife and 1 year old son are in danger, I’m definitely going for my gun. Is that.... really hard to understand?

And take my being in the military part out of it, when people kill other humans in self defense with other weapons, the person is not trained to kill people, they are preserving their lives.

@FatBurt

We must know very different people. Most of the gun owners I know wouldn’t hesitate to kill to protect their families.

Merry Christmas to all by the way!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you being military trained does change things considerably. You'll have greater awareness of how to shoot and deal with whatever happens. Similarly, you will know better than most how to have a gun in the house safely.

We were talking of people without that, weren't we?

I guess it comes down to how we see people and how they would react in a certain situation. Some will find it very hard to be violent, even as a matter of defence. Others will be able to do so to a point but might not be able to do so lethally, save for that exceptional situation. And there’s the after-effects of it all.

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm British.

Anyone breaking into my house can have whatever they want as they Rob me.

Hell I'll help them load the van.

My stuff is not worth more than anyone's life and if you're thinking that someone's breaking into your house to do unmentionable things to your family then you either have enemies that I thankfully don't have, or have been watching too many movies.

Plus as a sensible gun owner, the gun should be in a safe so if you are invaded my guess is they would be on you before you can open the safe, get the gun out, load it all at the same time as ensuring your family is in a safe place.

Barricade the door. Call the police and keep your head down.

Stuff can be replaced, lives can't.

The your here is an average person, not a military trained person.

15. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Have you ever loaded a pistol? It’s a very, very quick process.lol

And I don’t have delusions of people breaking into my house, but I also don’t have the illusion that nothing can happen to me and mine.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It's that time again, I guess.

EDIT: profanity warning

17. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Decent stand up and valid points.

Debatable ones, but valid none the less.

Though he led with what I did in my earlier post: some people use guns recreationally.

Edit: do people think that the only safes people own are the dial ones? Lol.

18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm American, I've only been to a resort on Jamaica, so basically I've never even left the country. I'd never want to take someone else's life. I'd second guess for as long as I lived if that person was just having a rough time and felt like they had no choice but to rob me. I'm fairly sure I couldn't even pull the trigger. I don't entertain the idea that anyone's just going to walk in my house and cause harm to my family. I don't know why, I just feel safe in my neighborhood, my house, always have, hopefully I always will. I live near a major hospital and a prisoner receiving care there once escaped and was in our neighborhood, but he didn't harm anyone. For that reason I don't run alone in the dark in my neighborhood, but no matter what I'm not going to have a deadly weapon in my house. There's just a much bigger chance there will be some kind of random accident or domestic violence when such a thing exists than using it to protect yourself against a stranger/attacker. And again I couldn't bring myself to harm someone.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've used sports pistols, bolt action rifles and shotguns

I used to go hunting from the ages of 12 - 16 with a double barrelled 12 gauge and have shot my fair share of rabbit, duck, pheasant and with a rifle deer.

I'm 41 and I now own a .22 air rifle. that's it, that's all I want and that's so I can go plinking up the range.
    I don't care how fast it is to load a gun. i do care however that some people in your country (and many in mine) are now of the belief that stuff is more important than lives. I'm just stunned by it, this thread runs through various advocates of guns (you're one of the least belligerent we've had) but every single one of them has put their stuff up as higher value than someone elses life and all of them without fail have had some sort of Ramboeseque belief in their own ability to just kill someone in defence of their stuff.
    Run, Hide, Barricade, call for police. That's it. If you're caught on the street then just hand over your stuff and move on.

20. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    That’s understandable. I’ve never really thought that deeply about taking a life to protect my own. Material items don’t matter to me. It’s the idea of having strangers, criminals, in my house and when it was just me by myself, I didn’t care to have a gun. But it’s important to me that my wife has something to protect herself when I deploy. criminals in the house to take things, sure give them the stuff. But criminals in my house with my wife and baby, I can’t just tell her that she’ll be alright.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Unless the criminal has something against you personally, they are highly unlikely to break into your house when anyone is home. Google stats on random home invasions by strangers and you’ll see what I mean. Most burglaries happen when no one is home, because no one is home.

I would absolutely hurt someone who messed with my kids, and a gun because would be too quick and painless. But I don’t spend time worrying about that either.

22. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    It’s not my concern to worry about what a criminal’s motivations are. If they enter my house, I take that as a threat and will handle it accordingly.

I think you’re overestimating what having a gun in the House means to me. It’s there if we need it, but we’re not walking around like it’s the old west. I don’t think all day about what it would be like to kill someone or what would happen if I had to kill someone: I’m a soldier, I have plenty of time for those thoughts when I deploy.

Edit: if you read my original post, I already side with you in theory: I don’t believe in the second amendment and how it’s been interpreted. I don’t think citizens should privately own firearms at all. However, I don’t control the laws and since they are what they are, I’ll take advantage of it. I went all my life without wanting a gun in the home until last year when I had my boy.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    vncredleader likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m almost finished with the book Fight Like A Mother by Shannon Watts. She includes a lot of good and verified statistics about how absurd the notion that “Guns make people safer” is.

Tip of the iceberg: An American is 25 times more likely to die of gun violence than a citizen of another similarly wealthy country.

Rew, Runjedirun, appleseed and 3 others like this.