main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    moreso than the virus itself, i'm scared that it's going to amplify violence in general to unforeseen levels. lots more desperation is about to be on the streets, if financial stressors are not universally alleviated and the leadership vacuum continues on, unfilled.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There has been a weird spike in housefires in my area lately.

3. EmuBay

EmuBay Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    You only need 13 states out of 50 to block a constitutional amendment. I can think of at least 13 states that would block a gun control amendment or, indeed, the Equal Rights Amendment.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is correct in reminding progressive activists that if they say pro-ERA states should be allowed to ratify after the expired deadlines, they also have to accept the states that rescinded are allowed to change their minds.

Ghost, Juliet316 and appleseed like this.
  4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There will never be another Amendment passed.

Yet another reason why America is fatally flawed and cannot be fixed.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    I always thought the "i am woman, hear me roar"/"Strong Women fight back" thing is foolish in a country awash with guns as the United States is. Seems that every school dance season now, you see that some boy reacts to a girl refusing to be his date to the dance by getting his adult's gun and killing her. @appleseed

appleseed likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What's right, or wrong, doesn't change merely because the country is awash in guns.

People have the right to refuse others dates, and anyone who shoots another just for refusing them a date, is a dangerous monster.

7. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I saw a Newsthump or Onion link on my phone this morning that quipped "With Large Gatherings Cancelled, Mass Shooters Forced to go Door-to-Door" or something like that. I kinda wish that hadn't been put out there like that because it's only a matter of time before some gun nut does exactly that. Or shoots up a hospital. Anything for the next big headline.

'Murica.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I would just like to point out that Virginia just passed the ERA and became the 38 state and the one to put it over the top to ratify it. Now it's in the courts to make insure that it's enshrined in the Constitution despite the 'expired deadline' deal.

9. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Given the current composition of the supreme court and the fact that 28 of 50 state governments are controlled by the Republicans, i don't like your chances.

appleseed likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Debbie Downer

appleseed likes this.
  11. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Rachel Realist.

appleseed likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Howumigonna shoot dem libruls who told me I caint have no party if I caint buy no gun?

14. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    and feck the Supreme Court that will support the NRA
    ("It amused Justice Alito to think that, with a gentle press on the trigger, he could bring death to anyone he chose")

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

18 years. that's pretty embarrassing.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And it took a pandemic for it to happen.

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

See you can do it if try hard enough

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Complete insanity. The guy apparently posed as a mountie.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Runjedirun, Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah but he's a "sensible" politician or at least a more rational one unlike the entirety of your rabble

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Mexico has a big problem with guns coming in from the US, is it the same in Canada?

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He is also not owned, body and soul, by the NRA and similar PACs and their money.

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It is a problem and It was a problem this time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/investigation-firearms-ns-shooting-1.5544180

"Investigators are trying to piece together how Gabriel Wortman was able to obtain the handgun and long guns he used last weekend in a deadly rampage through rural Nova Scotia, including how some made it across the Canada-U.S. border.

Police have traced one of Wortman's weapons back to Canada, but believe the others may have been obtained in the United States, the RCMP revealed on Friday."