main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    If I were to dial 999 and request police assistance. My call would be graded according to the immediacy of the threat.

The highest grading means that a crime is on-going or that a fast response is critical in order to ensure safety or to preserve life. In those circumstances, I expect the police to arrive as a matter of urgency and to employ lights and sirens. As I’m in a fairly urban area, I expect 5 to 10 minutes (this can be much faster if there happens to be a vehicle on patrol nearby). Our police are not routinely armed, but there is always one armed vehicle on patrol in a Scottish city at any given time, they can be deployed rapidly if they are required.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So that does carry with it the presumption that they'd actually show up, which I do wonder how common that is on a larger scale.

To somewhat contrast, when I was shot at (vaguely targeted drive-by), a huge component of it escalating to that was years of police not responding to calls as things got increasingly violent. So while the police had a fairly weak response, it was a neighbor that came out with a gun that scared them off. We'd gotten fairly used to police not responding.

So from that sort of experience in the US with law enforcement, I can certainly see why others don't feel they can presume the police will show up to keep them safe.

3. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    @Lowbacca_1977 Our police are by no means perfect, but I have absolute confidence that they will deploy rapidly if there is a threat to public safety. If a firearm was involved, there would be several police directed to the scene and probably a helicopter.

I don’t have any experience with US law enforcement, but I can understand why you feel so badly let down by your police service. Given your account, I can understand why some people don’t feel that they can rely on the police.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, high threat with clear and present danger to people the they come running with blues and twos. If you're being robbed (at home), you'll be advised to stay barricaded in a room and they'll get there as quick as they can in an Urban area then 5-10 mins target as per Dannik

Robbed on the street then advise is hand over stuff and remember as much about them as you can for reports (not much will happen here)

If you're home has been robbed whilst you're out then they'll pop along when they have a free moment

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A shooting at a gun shop? Seriously?
    Of course it is.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    That doesn't seem to be clear, at this point, that there was any crossfire. And none of the dead were killed by crossfire.

"3 Dead following crossfire" seems to miss what happened entirely based on the article.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How are 592 pages devoted to this topic?

It's ridiculous, America you're drunk on consuming gun products and believe it's cultural, and restrictions are proven to be effective against mass shootings. End of story.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    And Australia can directly attest to this after the Port Arthur Massacre.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow we made it almost a year without a school shooting, and all it took was closing almost all the schools. [face_flag]

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Good point. Now we finally know how to prevent mass shootings. Never let people gather en masse.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't see where that "year long streak" is coming from. This is a shooting with one victim, it seems, and by that level there's been a couple others in the last 12 months.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got a text this afternoon from Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America about that. This is another case in which my Senators are hopeless but I’m going to annoy them about voting for the bill anyway.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    active shooter at a grocery store in boulder, co, with "multiple people down."

nothing says "we're getting back to normal" like the resumption of american gun violence.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Moms Demand More Action is a more catchy acronym.

FatBurt and Darth Nerdling like this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Police Press Conference going on now.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ten dead, including a police officer.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Ban guns, all of em

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, the flags were at half-staff per Biden's order as a memorial to the Atlanta victims. That order expired at sunset today. Just in time for the new order to roll out tomorrow, I guess. Get used to seeing your flags at half-staff, Americans. If Biden thinks he's going to memorialize mass shootings that way, we'll never get back to the top of the pole. [face_flag]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    ******* AK - 47 was used.

25. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Colorado keeps having its problems with mass shootings.

Columbine, 1999
    James Homes theater shooting, 2012
    now this one in Boulder, 2021

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021