main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is
    demonstrably
    false.

The most obvious case (articles are behind paywalls and the like) is in Washington DC. Two bridges, the Ellington and the Taft, are very near each other. The Ellington was most used for suicides. When a jump barrier was erected, the criticism was that folks would simply go to the Taft bridge instead. After all, if someone wishes to take their own life then they’ll find another way, and the Taft bridge is literally right there. It turns out that the jump numbers at the Ellington stayed the same, and that the overall rates in DC were reduced corresponding to the reduction of jumps from the Ellington.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Now this is rich coming from you.

It could happen if there was an actual political will to do anything about the problem (most studies suggest that the American people are largely behind stricter gun laws, so this is basically just a gun lobby issue).
    If you watched the entire video I posted you'd see that there were plenty of legal gun owners in Australia who had issues with the new laws as well, yet it worked anyway.
    I don't know, arrest them and confiscate their guns? Make sure that there are fewer guns in society as a whole, which would make it harder for criminals to get their hands on guns? Sky's the limit.

3. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I went to a gun show a couple of months ago with my twin boys and my father in law who is a collector and sport target shooter. We love our guns in Australia, we just don’t have an obsession with automatic or semi-automatic firearms. We don’t need them. Neither does anyone in the US who is not wearing olive drab and dog tags.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    Well, this part
    "Receiving a driver’s license involves strict guidelines in Germany. This ensures that only the most disciplined people can drive on the roads. According to Business Insider, getting your driving license in Germany can take up to six months to complete and cost more than $2000.

In order to get a license, residents must meet requirements including basic first-aid training and extensive driving lessons (including real-life situations on the Autobahn). Applicants must also take a difficult multiple-choice exam and as well as a road test. In the end, better drivers equate to lesser accidents."

made me laugh. Unless you are not a complete idiot, anyone will pass that exam and get the license at the end.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes there is data that speed has an effect on the severity of accidents. Just like there is data on the medical costs of gun violence.

CT-867-5309, Rew, blackmyron and 2 others like this.
  6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    No, but the law enabling gun carriers is the problem. Take the right to carry guns in public back, you take away most possibilities for non-law-abiding gun owners to get where they start shooting.

Nobody145, CT-867-5309, Rew and 6 others like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Tell me you didn't watch the clip without saying "I didn't watch the clip", Mike.

8. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    But there is no data that the Autobahn is less safe than highways like ours which do have speed limits. If anything, the AB is safer.

I watched it. I also commented on it and the situation with my opinion on it.

What else do you require of me here?

Maybe. What about those who work in high crime areas? C-shift workers who have long walks to their cars at night? Would there be exceptions? But Yeah, no reason to have your AR-15 with you while on your way to your golf tournament or whatever.

A Constitutional convention would be interesting. Lets do that balanced budget thing while we're at it. Watch the big spenders squirm. :). But, I doubt it would ever happen. The 2A isnt likely going anywhere.

I think Ive said many times that I am also behind proper enforcement & expansion of gun control measures.

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Country miserly on infrastructure upkeep and with notoriously undisciplined drivers has a safety problem on highways. News at 10.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I lived in a high crime area for ten years (Bellefontaine in Toulouse) and walked home for half a mile every evening, past two known traffficking points where street lamps were always broken. Had to run for it four times, endured racist harassment another couple of times. Even got my bedroom wall peppered by SMG fire one night.

Still never felt the need to carry one of my guns outside. Nor a katana or a glaive or daggers. What the F exactly would that have solved?

(EDITed multiple times because I'm angry enough about such BS that it comes in bursts typed on phone)

12. Darth_Diealot

Apr 6, 2020
    Yes, I have read studies that indicate that. At the same time, they could be even safer than they are now if there was a speed limit. But due to the influence of companies like Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche I don't see it coming. Our minister of transport (who is a total failure) says that a speed limit would be against "common sense" (ok, enough off topic from me).

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    But it's much harder to get a driver's license and keep a driver's license in Germany - it takes up to six months to get the license, plus about the equivalent of $2000. The Autobahn undergoes constant maintenance, unlike our crumbling infrastructure. And they strictly enforce driving laws - heavily fining you even for something like tailgating or using the carpool lane.
    Ever, in any situation. Unless you're looking to kill a bunch of people, of course.
    I think everyone here has said multiple times that you don't get an award for supporting and voting into office politicians that are against policies that you are supposedly for.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You post this sincerely as though legal gun owners in other countries are not as inherently selfish and unconcerned about anyone but themselves as American conservatives. You referenced people who possess empathy and a modicum of community responsibility but people like QGM follow the teachings of American Jesus: "Consider your own needs more than the needs of others".

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So... you're not a law-abiding gun owner. In your own hypothetical, it would be a legally passed amendment, and so you (colletively) resisting that would mean you are not law-abiding.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    More than just a lazy dismissal via attacking the messenger. You didn't address the points it raised, which is why we all believe you didn't watch it.

17. Darth_Diealot

Apr 6, 2020
    Hm, well, fines for speeding or other traffic violations are (in my eyes) really low here in Germany, compared to other counties, especially Switzerland.

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    In the US, minor traffic violations are only 'enforced' when a cop wants to stop you for other reasons, and often they'll just let you go without even a fine.
    When I had to drive home in the early morning hours from a campus job, I was stopped almost every night for a burnt-out taillight before I could get it replaced. Each time, the cop pulled up behind me on a lonely road, followed me for a bit while my tag was run and then flipped the lights. They were always very casual about the taillight being out, but were very interested in searching my car each time. I never got a ticket for the light.
    Other nights, cops would sometimes trail me but as they didn't have cause to stop me, eventually would peel off when I reached the edge of their patrol area.
    Going to and from work in the daytime, however, driving down a US Interstate, there is some of the craziest, most dangerous traffic imaginable - but little enforcement. (Also, the major highways are always in bad shape and perpetually under construction, thanks to people like Mike that whine about having some of the lowest tax rates in the Western world).

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And now I'll have Bad Religion stuck in my head all day.

20. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Actually I did address the points. I said I agreed with gun control laws being strengthened and enforced properly. Background checks, waiting periods, etc. Said that too. I do not agree with semi-auto bans though as Australia did since that covers too broad of a spectrum of firearms.

As for the video - it went too far with the silliness. They dug up the most extreme gun-nut guy they could find and set him up for failure. Then, they proceeded to add their "cute" audience laughter(is this a 1980's sitcom? LOL). John Oliver is entirely annoying on top of that. Felt like a backyard quality video versus a real TV show. Sorry. Id love to see a video done by professionals that brought reasonable people from each side to the table to discuss this. I wont hold my breath though since all we get is 100% pro-gun propaganda or 100% anti-gun propaganda. No good.

Are the lower fines for speeding due to higher limits though? Maybe. I personally fear the distracted drivers WAY more than someone going 75mph in a 65mph zone. People on their phones, doing their makeup or of course drunk are a huge problem, IMO. I think speed limits(not too low) make total sense in most areas. But, the Autobahn concept remains interesting to me and I think its a great idea.

What are Germany's other speed limits like on non-autobahn roads and such?

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hey @QUIGONMIKE what are your thoughts regarding my post about the impact on suicide rates?

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    He's a pretty well-known gun rights advocate - why would they not interview him?
    Uh, they have a live-studio audience, and they record their reactions.
    Yes, a youtube edit of a segment from an almost ten year old TV show might suffer some video quality issues.
    It was done by professionals. But keep being dismissive of people who know what they're doing, as usual.
    You didn't watch the video.
    lol

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Why would those actions be a problem? Your car has airbags so you should be safe. And if those people crash, they're just doing their duty and can donate their organs if they die. Plus, the act of not talking on your phone doesn't have official FDA approval (and don't bring up 'studies' and 'evidence', all that matters is that FDA approval).

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    From what I've seen (and of course German residents, please correct me if I'm wrong):
    a) There is still a 'speed limit': travel at speeds that would extend the vehicle's minimum halting distance beyond the driver's line of sight.
    b) Speed limits on the Autobahn still apply to trucks, buses, cars towing trailers, and small motorized vehicles.

Mike in a discussion about the rise of neo-Nazism in the US:
    "All we get is 100% pro-Nazi propaganda or 100% anti-Nazi propaganda. No good".

25. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Well, it does make sense that removing ways to inflict harm on oneself would have a positive affect on suicide rates. I also know that the 60% statistic is valid for suicides involving a gun. My thoughts are that Id love to find out why people get so depressed & down that they'd want to take their own life. Thats a sad situation. If we could fix depression and despair then suicides of any type would plummet. Thats a permanent, real item to go after. I'd also say that responsible gun owners lock their weapons up so no one can gain access. That would help too but its hard to enforce. The few(four total) guns I own are in a proper safe and no one but me is getting at them short of having dynamite.

I dont think you'd get much mileage though out of looking to ban guns for that reason though. Even if you banned semi-autos like Australia did - single shot weapons are capable of the exact same thing since someone taking their own life is only getting off one shot anyways. That sounds morbid, and it is, but its true.

If that guy is what the gun lobby is using as their "guy" then they've failed miserably. Hes a crazy gun nut. Once someone is against background checks and any kind of waiting period then they fall out favor with me. So, that guy doesnt work for me. He does NOT represent me and I think I can safely say millions of other reasonable gun owners.

Glad their audience found the whole thing amusing. Um - turns out that people in your audience are likely going to agree with and clap/laugh when they are supposed to. Its still a propaganda video. Its not really that funny either.

No issue with video quality as in PQ or AQ. I meant the content itself was rather lame. Sorry, my opinion. I dont watch The Daily Show. Not my thing.

Who "knows what they're doing"? The Daily Show? According to whom? You? Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. But its just a heavy-left leaning entertainment program. I can post some pro gun videos from the Hannity show or whatever else. It proves nothing since its just their side of the story.

Yes I did watch it but go ahead and keep saying I didnt to make yourself happy.