main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My husband’s grandfather came straight off the boat from Italy, and Mrs. “Realtor who wants to shoot my clients” Crumbley is absolutely a racist, as evidenced by the fact that she obviously does not know any children of undocumented parents. I have worked with many, and they are almost without exception the hardest working kids. They have to be as they are usually trying to succeed and have to overcome the language barrier to do so.

But maybe it is a compliment to be viewed with disdain by someone who thinks her entitled son’s Christmas present should be a gun to murder his classmates.

2. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Awesome! I think 1500 is a small sample size, but good enough to get a general idea. But, in accordance with my anecdotal experiences, the study also shows a correlation of having children in the home and gun owners more likely to secure their weapons.

This would still indicate that the Crumbley’s acted horribly irresponsible because not only did they have a child in the home, but he clearly was mentally Ill and was asking them for help.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Wasn't her reaction to her son being caught looking up ammo prices mere days before he kicked of

"lol, I'm not mad at you, just don't get caught next time"

Totally normal country

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also anecdotal evidence means nothing. If I just thought things based on the people around me I would think everyone had at least one dose of the Covid vaccine and like 92% of people don’t own guns and 99% of people voted for Joe Biden

5. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I don’t think anecdotal knowledge means nothing, one just shouldn’t base analytical and policy decisions off of anecdotes. I wasn’t putting forth my experiences for academic scrutiny, Fett, just so we’re on the same page.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    There been plenty of accidential shootings with gun owning parents but none with parents who don't. End of story.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Runjedirun likes this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Note that the text sent by mom that said "Ethan, don't do it" was made after the news of the shootings was made public.

8. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    To me, that suggests that she knew he was the shooter and was imploring him not to take his own life.

From what I’ve read, the shooter requires parental permission before he can be interviewed and the parents have denied this permission. It looks like these parents are being wilfully obstructive. Their actions have been beyond irresponsible. I hope they’re apprehended and put before a judge ASAP.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think it’s always the parents fault but in this case it very much is. At least a good chunk of it.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Liberal kids were bullying me, trying to cancel me from school just because I drew pictures of me shooting them. So anyway, I started blasting.

Do you mean interviewed by law enforcement? They should deny permission, he'll only incriminate himself. They shouldn't let him say a word.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Regardless of their character, that is good practice and something every parent should do. Nevernevernevernevernever talk to the police if you don't have to and you're suspected of a crime, and always have a lawyer present if you have to talk to them.

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe after the parents were called into the school after their son was caught drawing pictures of shooting people, and the pictures included captions that basically said, "I'm going to shoot people!" maybe, MAYBE the parents should've mentioned that they bought their son a gun a few days before and they couldn't say for sure if it was locked up or not. Whoops!!!

13. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    It sounds like (and all the evidence isn’t in yet) that these are the type of people to not secure any of their guns, despite having a minor in the house. So to add with ignoring signs that their child was mentally ill, and ignoring his pleas for help, AND ignoring the school’s administration that also recommended/required that he get help, they had no way of knowing where the gun was at any particular point in time.

So… yea, as I said, these people are lucky they are only getting involuntary manslaughter charges. They basically acted, and this is based on very very early reports, as if they didn’t care whether he did it or not. It’s like they knowingly sent a ticking time bomb to school and decided to light a fire beside it.

Lowbacca_1977, Rew, mnjedi and 5 others like this.
  14. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Their own son kills people and they decide to bail on him. I don't see how this doesn't end in a shoot out.

15. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    They've reportedly been caught.

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Edit: Double post.

17. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Yes, I did mean interview by law enforcement.

I do appreciate the point that you’re both making. If I found myself accused of a crime, I’d always give a “no comment” interview. There’s pretty much nothing that a suspect can say under interview to help themselves and a lot that they can say to hurt themselves. Under ordinary circumstances, police interviews tend to be fishing expeditions.

My point was more about the mindset of the parents and their behaviour. I would like to think that most parents would be devastated if their child committed such an atrocity. This couple, however, seem to turn their gaze inward and think of themselves as opposed to the victims.

They have tried to evade or frustrate justice at every turn. They retained the presence of mind to refuse their son permission to be interviewed, they contacted lawyers, withdrew $4000 from an ATM and hid in a Detroit basement.

I don’t know the maximum jail time that their charges carry, but I hope they serve every minute possible behind bars. If it weren’t for their arrogance and wilful stupidity, four teenagers would still have their lives ahead of them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  18. Tang Lung

Tang Lung Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2013
    Thats the problem with US and fire arms , theres plenty of rifles in Europe yet stuff like this almost never happen , its the US gun culture

Yodaminch likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Even more than that—their kid asked for mental health help because the “thoughts won’t stop” and they bought him a ****ing gun instead of getting him help.

Involuntary manslaughter is not a severe enough charge. It should include child neglect or abuse as well as second degree murder.

…although I’m aware that they need a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt.

They should be able to get that for child neglect though. They denied him medical care that he needed.

TX-20, Rew, Juliet316 and 8 others like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    have we successfully established that the Crumbleys are a flight risk? "The Crumbleys" is a made for tv/streaming movie that will teach a number of hard life lessons to a family audience.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Weird. Last night it showed a double post, and now the original post is gone. Well, here it is again:

Some more of the timeline here:
    Shortly before 1 pm - the shooting rampage begins. Ethan surrenders five minutes afterwards.
    At 1:22 pm, his mom texts "Ethan, don't do it".
    At about 1:30 pm, his dad calls 911 to report "his" gun is missing.

They knew Ethan was arrested by the point they were calling and texting. Clearly, Ethan would not have had access to his phone if he was arrested. That and the 911 call were clearly the parents trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility.
    Also: their lawyer angrily pushed back against the sheriff's office, claiming it was 'irresponsible' to say the parents were fugitives - that they had gone into hiding for their own protection, and we on their way at the time to turn themselves in.
    Yep, that's exactly what happened.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My kids’ high school and other high schools in the area will now be providing clear backpacks for all students. My son’s response was “the backpack better be big enough for all the stuff I need.”

My response is, one, I better not hear from the district or the state that there is “not enough money” for resources that will actually do some good, as opposed to the same performative nonsense that schools so often do because we are asked to solve societal problems that we have no control over. Two, can you imagine being a teenage girl who needs to carry feminine products around in a clear backpack? Three, are they banning pencil pouches and hoodies too because **** that.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    seems like a massive over reaction. Unless the school has a history of violence involving weapons, for which case backpack transparency is the least worrying issue.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I love the conservative narrative
    "I refuse to live my life in fear."
    (to child) "LIVE YOUR LIFE IN FEAR, KID!"

TX-20, Nobody145, Mar17swgirl and 6 others like this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @MagnarTheGreat And were given aide apparently by someone while on the run:

It truly gets worse as it unfolds. At the candlelight vigil, someone passed out and because of all the commotion it started a panic:

That is how much we live in fear thanks to MAGAers.

@anakinfansince1983 I agree but the school officials should never allowed him back in the building. He was without a doubt a credible threat and therefore a danger to the school. But since it's a white student in a MAGA area, they cowered to the parents. As educators we need to start pushing back on this insanity that is being thrown our way including something like that. He was a credible threat that had no business being at school but the school officials cowered after his insane parents made a stink about it. That needs to end immediately.