main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Here is a picture of "responsible gun owners" and their Christmas card:

I don't care what anyone say Bob Costas was 1000% right when he said we have a "gun culture" on it hence why we have more guns then people in this country Seriously how sick and twist is this! And kudos on this school shooting dad for calling him out on it:

Anyone who wants to think MAGAers can be negotiated, reason or even co-exist with needs to stop dreaming and start living in reality.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    All that family is missing are a bunch of brown shirts.

TX-20 and Luke02 like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    We're a society that's veered so completely into absurdity it's no longer even possible to parody or satirize ourselves effectively. That Christmas card is 100% satire-proof.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Plastic backpacks are some stupid nonsense and school shooting theatre. Half the time, certainly in my neck of the woods, metal detectors are in that same category of things that make it look like something is being done but are incredibly easy to simply avoid. The changes people want schools to make are not about preventing anything, just about looking like they're preventing something.

Not on the level of the way so many of the 'active shooter' drills are straight up unethical, but still, utterly pointless. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that schools mostly are prioritizing busywork, though.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It’s all about trying to shift the burden of prevention on everyone else but the people who buy and sell guns. It doesn’t matter whether it works so long as it diverts attention away from the overwhelming public health tragedy of gun prevalence.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just like everything else schools are asked to do—like when they implement fancy new reading programs that make a profit for some company under the guise of “closing achievement gaps” when what really causes achievement gaps is poverty, which cannot be fixed by schools.

That’s another topic though.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It doesn't divert attention away, it focuses it and puts up a giant beacon to any kid about the way to act out. Society is doing a great job of teaching that if you want attention or to feel powerful, an effective way to do it is to shoot up your school.

I don't see it as much different from suicides as a contagion, except people actually take that one seriously. School shootings are fetishized, though, rather than treated in a proportionate manner.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    If you see legal gun prevalence as the main problem, then you’re going to be fighting a losing uphill battle in America for the rest of your life. The problem with shootings in America is the culture around guns and violence; legal gun prevalence likely takes a backseat to illegal gun prevalence. The majority of crimes committed with firearms are by people illegally possessing those firearms.

It’s a hard line to toe: limiting the right to own firearms(and other rights) against preventing gun violence crimes given the culture of America and our relationship with guns. My opinion has evolved over the years:

When I was a college student and fresh college grad, I believed that guns should be banned. As I’ve matured, I realize that that is a fantasy in this country. People cite the fact that other countries have done it, but those countries are not America. Also, as I have grown and been exposed to firearms and gun owners and done more research into gun violence, I have not seen a convincing argument that the buying, selling, or ownership of guns is the primary issue.

It’s weird because I’m a liberal and I do believe that there should be more federal uniformity when it comes to tracking gun owners, establishing background checks that can be used across a shared database by law enforcement, and raising the age, federally, on owning a firearm(this last one I’m still iffy on because… well hunting.)

When conservatives talk about liberals wanting to limit rights in regards to owning guns, they’re right. I think, overall, the left is too willing to limit rights without thinking of the repercussions or, to put it better, the left doesn’t seem to care that there are responsible gun owners. As some of the arguments here have highlighted, some of you are completely okay with framing legal, law abiding gun owners as crazy or malicious, despite the fact that all we’re doing is exercising a right that this country has granted us.

9. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Sorry for the double post. (I’m messaging on my phone and idk how to add this to my other post). But the very cringe and awkward thing to my eye about this post is that none of them have mags in.

*scratches head*

Maybe it’s the military part of my brain but…. An unloaded gun is basically a bat. Weird photo. Obvious cringe publicity post.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Honestly, that seems more responsible for what is entirely a staged photo with no intention to fire them.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Always remember it's the fault of liberals no matter what.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Huh? Are they liberal cause they aren’t ****ing moronic enough to arm teachers? What is liberal about them. Is it literally cause they are teachers and all teachers are liberals? Is it because they just want to blame liberals? Is it all of the above

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, not all teachers are liberals.

The day they arm us is the day I retire though.

@The Jedi in the Pumas : Banning guns being a fantasy in this country and “those countries are not America” is precisely the problem. We are never going to solve the gun violence problem in this country because so many value gun culture above human life (and animal life).

If gun ownership were solely for the purpose of target shooting inanimate objects for sport, Everytown For Gun Safety would not need to exist and I would not have to fear for my children’s lives when they go to school or do lockdown drills at work. The only reason first world democracies are safe enough to avoid the level of gun violence we have and we are not is because we don’t want to be. Say it’s a fantasy that we would ever want to be as safe from gun violence as a first world democracy and you would be right but let’s be honest about what that says about the value we put on life in this country.

…all that said, Everytown and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America advocate for the measures you listed, which are good ones. Those organizations don’t go as far as I do on their gun stances. Shannon Watts and members of the organizations still get death threats though, from those who think their right to shoot people is more important than actual people.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. One of the most conservative people I have ever met in my life was a teacher. I was saying people like Fox assume all teachers are liberal.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Even better, they assume we’re communists.

I never met a communist until I started posting on the YJCC.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

blackmyron, Juliet316, TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  17. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I wouldn’t say that people are Valuing gun culture over human life. I think it’s that people don’t believe that the risk to human life grants the government the authority to limit gun ownership rights. Key word is limit. The majority of Americans support background checks (though what exactly is included in those background checks is another issue altogether), including conservatives. The majority of Americans do not support disarming the populace, including liberals.

That’s why I’m saying that banning firearms is a fantasy here: because we don’t want that. A select few people, like yourself, want that but it’s not a crazy right-wing ideology that Americans believe they have the right to own weapons and that that right should not be infringed upon. The debate is more about what policies can actually decrease gun violence as a whole and… I gotta say, over the years for myself as a very liberal person, popular liberal propositions do not convincingly tackle the problem while maintaining the balance of protecting gun ownership.

That’s why I believe the left has been largely unsuccessful in the past 20 years on implementing their gun policies. That AND the fact that the NRA has a stranglehold on any republican elected to public office which prevents them from supporting sensible gun policy legislation that EVEN THEIR CONSTITUENTS support.

[​IMG]

Don’t get me started on the NRA…. If I had to rank the problems with America in regards to causes of our high levels of gun violence it would be:

1. The Gun Culture of the USA
    2. The NRA

Juliet316 and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not believing the risk to human life grants the government the authority to limit gun ownership is valuing gun ownership above human life.

I support the right to target shoot inanimate objects for sport. What other use of a gun is a right that I should support, given that if it takes a life, I’m not going to support it?

There are many other policy areas that demonstrate the upside down values that Americans have regarding life—health care and animal agriculture for profit being two of them—so this isn’t unique to guns. I would add that too many of the people who throw out the useless “thoughts and prayers [but don’t touch my guns]” in response to a mass shooting (school or otherwise) also do not want to address other programs that might decrease violent incidents, such as mental health care and income inequality.

I’m still not seeing a benign use of a gun other than shooting an inanimate target.

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    How long before school boards start handing out Bullet-Proof Vests with "Thoughts & Prayers" scrawled all over them?

20. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    We will have to respectfully disagree here. There are many items and practices that we allow in this country and around the world that cause a risk to human life, but we grant humans a certain level of autonomy, personal accountability, and respect to socially patrol themselves.

-we do not limit sexual activity among consenting adults (we’re getting away from it more because we know that it’s wrong) despite the fact that AIDS and STIs kills thousands every year
    -we do not limit alcohol access for adults despite the fact that it kills thousands every year and destroys families
    -European countries are, generally, applauded for their decriminalization and legalization of drugs that are still widely illegal across the world, despite knowing that drugs and drug violence can kill people

I don’t view any of the above as the proponents putting these things above human life. They are trying to find a balance, like we all are, between allowing humans to have freedoms while knowing that access to those freedoms can and will hurt people. In recent years, this is how I have started approaching gun policy as well.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    These people have no idea how insane they all look.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can’t approach alcohol or drugs that way because no one is going to a high school and injecting unwilling students with overdoses of heroin, much less 17 overdoses in six minutes. I do not have to do lockdown drills to protect students from getting injected with overdoses of heroin. Nobody is injecting a deer with an overdose of heroin and mounting its head on a wall.

Or to sum it up—neither alcohol, drugs nor sex were invented for the express purpose of killing.

This is why I take issues with “balance” regarding gun ownership—I have not seen a balanced approach that would solve the problems I have with guns.

European countries (and I would assume Asian and African countries as well but I have not researched those) have much stricter laws on drunk driving that the US needs to adopt.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Simple solution for the constant complaint about lockdown drills: schools stop doing lockdown drills and fetishizing school shootings. At this point, complaints over lockdown drills sound like people who start fights and talk about how someone else made them do that. The people forcing lockdown drills are not gun owners.

I think that alcohol in particular is a good example because for all the concern of "but you don't need that", while there are certainly situations someone can outline where having a gun would be helpful (preemptively, I'm not making a claim that in aggregate they would save more lives, just that circumstances exist where a gun can save a life), I have never heard anyone outline an example where having alcohol to drink can do that.

So I think one could quite easily say anyone that wants alcohol to be legal values their right to drink over human life since there's no need to drink, but it does very demonstrably harm (about 10,000 drunk driving deaths a year, and with a couple hundred kids killed by drunk drivers every year, people that got alcohol and then got in a car are killing far more children than people with guns that then got into a school). So if this is about numbers, drunk drivers are much larger threat to kids than school shooters (I suspect their own parents are a larger threat than both of those, but didn't look up those numbers).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  24. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't believe people should own guns. If gun owners want to change my mind, they will get better legislation passed as law so that I hear a lot less stories in the news about accidents with guns, domestic violence with guns and shootings that seem completely random with no particular targets. As long as nothing is being done to make me feel safe when I leave my home or my children are out and about, I will not believe people should own guns.

Dannik Jerriko, Luke02, Rew and 2 others like this.
  25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Photographs like that really drive home the difference in cultural outlooks towards gun ownership. As a European, I find the juxtaposition of a smiling family gathered around their Christmas tree and the firearms in their hands to be extremely jarring. Part of me thinks they’re doing it to get a rise out of “the libs”. At the same time, I know that millions of people will simply see a nice picture of a wholesome family exercising their right to keep and bear arms.