main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Ah, yes, I remember being taught by J-Rod that us Europeans barely have access to late 20th century appliances... :p

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Is he on drugs? Lol. That's Alex Jones level crazy.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  3. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Nah, he didn't realize he was referencing a 1992 study about the poorer ex-Communist countries that had been exaggerated on a GOP site 25 years later (what's half a dozen percent between friends?) and presented as being about Western Europe.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    He was just following the typical right-wing process of either relying on what he heard or saw somewhere, or doing a quick Google search and posting a link to a source he didn't actually read.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He posted a lot of PajamasMedia links. Last time I looked at his Twitter he had gone full OAN and bragged about how many people had blocked him.

6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    When a ton of people block someone, that's usually a sign of waning influence. Heh.

Honestly, Jimmy Kimmel had better ideas than Biden did about gun control. Kimmel suggested that every senator should have to sit down with the survivors of the Uvalde shooting. I'm not sure that would work, but it's better than doing nothing. Biden's reticence to utilize executive orders is odd when one considers how FDR used executive power to make life better for most Americans. Americans could more easily own their own homes as a result of FDR. But Biden's just sitting there like the only thing he can do is help our allies in Ukraine. Kinda pointless to become president if you're not going to do much.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    David Hogg is asking for personal stories on his Twitter and retweeting anyone who is willing to share. That probably has more influence on anyone who gives even a modicum of a **** than anything any politician is doing right now.

And don’t even get me started on Biden refusing to use executive orders. He showed more spine when he told Trump to shut up on national TV than he has in any action taken as President.

Rew, Yodaminch, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Pretty sure it's not what I do ::p

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's the second time I've done that - sorry, man. I'm always implicitly referring to American conservatives. Believe me, you're nothing like J-Rod.

10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Are you ****ing kidding me with this??????

https://www.yahoo.com/news/uvaldes-school-district-police-chief-065335871.html

• The Uvalde schools police chief said he left his radios behind during last month's mass shooting.

• He said he believed that the radios would have slowed him down, and impaired his shooting accuracy.

• But he also admitted he was unaware students were calling 911 because he didn't have a radio on him.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    History has shown that FDR was more cautious than we thought. He was frequently pushed by the people around him to act more aggressively than he wanted to. In most cases, it was Eleanor aided by his advisors who moved him to act while he dragged his feet. In some cases, when she could not get him to directly intervene, she went directly to the person she needed to speak to and appealed to them without FDR’s blessing.

I somehow doubt that Jill, a school teacher/mother/grandmother, is being silent about this, but if she doesn’t have the backing of Biden’s team to help her, I doubt she’s making much traction. It’s not that dissimilar to things that have since come out about Barack and Michelle and how some of his team tempered Michelle speaking out more about gun violence and race. Ironically, Michelle pushed Joe to speak out about other topics before she could get Barack to do so.

So to me, the question is who in Joe’s orbit is telling him to hold? I think they are gambling on a pressure campaign that never works because the GOP will never change and doesn’t care. And if they think they will get Manchin and Sinema to change, they are like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football.

12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This guy needs to be in jail. Period.

13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    ... hold the phone, are we talking about a district police chief, or a school district police chief?

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That whole town's police department needs to be obliterated.

Ghost, Jedi Merkurian and jedijax like this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't think one can really fault FDR for dragging his feet when he was president.

Presumably, this is about the chief of the UCISD (Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District) Police Department

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    So, basically, school districs have their own police departments?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Some do, depending on the size of the district.

Yeah…’Murica.

Rew, Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    For some reason, yes. Why a small school district with like 4,000 students needs a police department doesn't seem particularly clear to me, though.

Apparently California has like 1,000 school districts, and 23 have their own police departments. So it's not common.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Har dee har har!

Arawn_Fenn, PCCViking and Yodaminch like this.
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm stuck at the concept one might conceivably decide any school district needs its own police department. It's an alien notion from my own cultural perspective.

21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    At the Metro station waiting for my train to DC. March for Our Lives take 2.

Rew, Luke02, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My university campus has its own full-fledged police department which has jurisdiction within a one-mile radius. They mostly deal with nuisances such as people who can't afford housing and traffic violations. With 40,000 students, faculty and staff, there are sometimes violent crimes like rapes in the dorms and even a murder a few years ago, but there's not much justification that I can see for those things (really just taking reports and investigating) not being handled by the city police. A while back I used to think, "Hey, at least a school shooter would be quickly stopped."

Rew and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Just out of curiosity, where do you go to school? When I was on my vacation, I briefly walked around my alma mater, Texas Wesleyan, in Fort Worth. They now have gates around the dorms, which they didn't have when I attended there. When I was a student there, people from off campus would break into cars to steal radios and more, particularly during 2010. Security sucked. Now, they have cameras everywhere.

24. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Home and I have to say the turn out didn't seem nearly as big as 2018. I thought that since this was several weeks after and since it was the same day as the Pride Events that it was going to struggle and it did. Also I am very glad I went alone, I stood up by the monument away from the crowd, but there were lots of people just not all packed together. And something happened and everyone started to run, including me, when the crowd turns and people run you run too. Anyway, someone on stage told us to come back so everyone stopped running. We slowly flittered back and someone acknowledged "something" happened from the stage, but they didn't say exactly what. I left at 2pm because I promised my kid I would be home to take him to the pool this afternoon and there's a pride parade about 10 minutes walk from my house at 6 PM tonight. Pride Parade's are a good time (but that's a different thread.)

Luke02 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005