main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, the dad's comments are nothing short of horrifying.

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The sad thing I deal with customers like that almost daily, clearly on or recovering from some sort of drugs.

EDIT: Or I'm assuming its drugs...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The dad's manner seemed suspect, perhaps due to drug use, but I'm pretty sure drug use doesn't cause hatred of gays or praise for violence early in a child's development.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, a couple days ago there was someone in this thread expressing a similar attitude and I'm pretty sure he isn't a meth head.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    No, I live in North Carolina. We went up there to go to AEW Dynamite.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ah. I hope you had fun at Dynamite!

appleseed likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Please Stand By (2018)

Dakota Fanning stars as a young woman with autism who lives at a group home among others with mental disabilities. She is strikingly independent and resourceful, to the point where she'll break her own rigid boundaries just to submit a script for a contest in Los Angeles. Her main dream is to be able to meet her sister's baby, however. Movies like this are typically critically acclaimed, but this one didn't really cut it for me. I can't say I'm one to judge how an autistic person should be portrayed in screen, but IMO her character was almost too resourceful to be believable. I think of characters like Hoffman in Rain Man, Hanks in Forrest Gump, and Sean Penn in I Am Sam. Ironically enough, Fanning played Penn's little girl in that earlier movie. The film also has plotholes. There are some characters introduced in it and at a turning point they're completely out of the picture; you never find out what happened to them.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  9. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Is this what the shooter said or what investigators have turned up? Or are we assuming this is how he felt? Serious question.

I take exception to the “fear of drag shows and the love of guns share the same source” argument. If people like guns and find drag shows weird, it doesn’t mean they are more likely to go a kill people at a club. Unsurprisingly, most people who don’t like drag shows just won’t go to them, like myself.

My interest in guns has grown in the past few years and I have felt no more masculine or amped to kill another person.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am assuming he was/they were a homophobic and transphobic ***hole and that was his/their motive until I get evidence otherwise, because that’s a safe assumption. Just look at the rhetoric among the right, including some in this thread a few pages ago, indicating that all LGBTQ people are child grooming pervs and therefore the club members deserved it.

The killer is not owed the benefit of the doubt, and since we are not on the jury, we are not obligated to give it.

I’ll retract if we get evidence that the killer had a personal vendetta against the club or someone in it but until then, no reason not to assume bigotry was the motive.

In a just country the woman who stomped the shooter with her high heels would win a medal.

[​IMG]

11. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I did, the Norfolk area is pretty cool as well. Sadly what happened at that Walmart could happen anywhere since we live in a nation that doesn't care about its people.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given that upon hearing that his child killed several people at a gay club, the shooter's father's immediate reaction was to express concern that his child is gay, there's a good chance that there's some queerphobia* at play.

* and, just as melanated people can advance white supremacist initiatives, being queer is not in and of itself an innocolation against being anti-queer.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know Chuck Todd is not loved around here but I appreciated him owning this “but look over there! Cities are evil!” Republican.

Here

In it was a graph showing that states with the strictest gun control laws have the lowest levels of gun violence.

Also, ‘freedom is being able to go to Wal-Mart without fear of getting shot.’

A waiting period would have stopped the Wal-Mart shooter, and enforcing red flag laws would have stopped the Colorado Springs shooter.

14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Supreme Court Has Upended Gun Control - The Atlantic

I read about half this article before I realized it was by the same guy who's book I read a few months ago. Please read the whole article but here's the highlights:

• In the Bruen opinion, Thomas made clear that, henceforth, the Court’s conservative majority would judge all firearms regulations by a new originalist standard: If there is no historical proof of a gun law linked to 1791 or 1868—the years when the Second and Fourteenth Amendments, respectively, were ratified—then any modern law restricting firearms is liable to be ruled unconstitutional.
    • Several cases already give us a glimpse of the future under Bruen. In West Virginia, a judge recently ruled unconstitutional the federal law that mandates serial numbers on guns, because he can find no evidence of a statute requiring firearms to carry a serial number dating to 1791. If that judge’s decision is upheld, police detectives will find it almost impossible to solve gun crimes, because serial-number records are the basis for most such investigations
    • In Texas, a judge just struck down the prohibition of gun ownership by domestic abusers. His reasoning derives from the regrettable truth that spousal abuse was not a criminal offense in the 1700s.
    • In New York, in October, a judge ruled that guns must be allowed in places of worship, because he couldn’t find any old laws that prohibited armed parishioners.
    Please excuse me while I react to this article:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My reaction would show up as asterixes.

PCCViking, Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wonder if some of the justices understand, I mean, fully understand the implications of such a standard for gun laws.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If the implications were explained, their reaction would be “don’t threaten me with a good time.”

They want to return to an era when they shoot disobedient spouses and errant fellow worshippers (or any non worshippers) with impunity.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    10 years since Sandyhook and this thread was created by @Ghost. Not much has changed.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not enough, but at least we got the gun control bill this summer, it's something even if it was mild.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    One of my students, who was there, was on CNN tonight and also held a vigil for the victims. And I will share what I said to them: It may not seem like much has changed since then, but I truly believe it was the turning point. The change we are seeing is slow, but we are seeing it with laws starting to crack through and more importantly with the activism led by the survivors who are now of voting age and able to be in Congress. A generation of people since Columbine have had enough and while it will take more time, I do think we will see more legislation and a weakening of the gun lobby’s power.

To eborate further on that: Alex Jones was the second major victory for victims’ families. The first major victory was even more significant in my opinion. That was the settlement of the gun maker lawsuit with the parents. Their argument survived so many challenges and they forced the makers to settle. That was the first big chink in their armor. Murphy’s bill is a start but he acknowledged that. The bigger deal is Republicans went from refusing to even discuss legislation to being willing to come to the table to even making small concessions. This will take a thousand small cuts to truly change, but we’re finally headed in the right direction at least.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I just read that a six-year-old just shot a teacher in Virginia. So yeah, not much has changed. It’s still happening in new and horrific ways.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    A lot of people are stunned by this around here (Virginia)

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Due to this it's probably inevitable every kid in the US goes through metal detectors. Better start checking for plastic guns too.

So messed up.