main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Phasma will come back and will resemble Grievous. She will have 8 arms and 6 legs and will wield multiple weapons at once, but will be killed by a space horse that just randomly runs across the screen to fall to a bottomless pit, swallowed by a sarlacc, then the last shot of the trilogy will be a giant dung beetle rolling a dung ball and we will see Phasma's arm punch out of it.

It's going to be EPIC, I mean EPIX!

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That would indeed compensate some of TLJ upsets

3. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    She seems like a wasted character. I wouldn't bring her back at this point, though.

B99 likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    She and Snoke had become secret lovers.

The bitter tragedy is that, neither died knowing the other was dead.

So sad.

oncafar likes this.
  5. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    So a Kotobukiya TLJ Phasma state is being released. Complete with the spear.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    DarthHass likes this.
  6. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    That's great and all but is Phillip Glass signed-on to do the score?

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  7. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I think Phasma's arc was just fine. Underutilized to leave me wanting more.

And I love Gwendolyn Christie's voice in that character. Menacing and icy and I want to hear her read the phone book or journal articles from the New England journal of medicine through Phasma's mask.

She can tell me "you were always scum" any day and I'll swoon

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Grey Matter likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Phasma had an arc?

Phasma is one note villain.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  9. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I wouldn't even say she had a note, at this point. Cool design, promising idea, but ultimately, nothing.

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I like the analogy from @Satipo Phasma is to the ST what Pat Roach was to the Indiana Jones films, but less memorable IMO.

Satipo likes this.
  11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Part of the problem comes from her essentially being an extra that got elevated in the first film. I wonder if they'd made her the Traitor trooper in TFA (only sparing her life somehow) if it might have helped. I like Phasma, and she's fun, but she doesn't have a huge amount to do. I would say this though (re Pat Roach) my kid loves Phasma, and I wonder if we watched the Indy films now, placing the same amount of expectation on the Roach type heavies, if we'd be "disappointed". Instead we grew up appreciating them as the 1 dimensional heavies they're designed to be. Also, while the armour gives her an instant iconic look, I do think Roach also gets a chance to shine due to being unmasked.

TK327 likes this.
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Oops. That should say Phasma statue

13. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Maybe arc was the wrong word. But I think what I got from her worked. To me, Phasma was the antithesis of Finn.

Cowardly, cold, cruel, calculating and Finn was heroic, had warmth and empathy, and was smart enough to help destroy star killer. He was loyal to his friends and her loyalty lies with herself. She was his opposite and their disdain for those qualities to me stood out in their fight. Even down to trying to get the last word.

Don't know if that's an arc but to me it worked. And now she's gone. If she comes back for some reason then I see a problem because -- what is she supposed to do then

Grey Matter and oncafar like this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Die again.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It took me multiple viewings to figure out she's saying "You're a bug in the system!" to Finn which is actually an awesome line but I just couldn't hear it very well in the mix and only really noticed cuz I saw it on here.

the line IS "You're a bug in the system." right?

MarcJordan and cerealbox like this.
  16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
  17. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I've been dying to know what she says. But for some reason I heard her say you've always been a bucket in the system? o_O

18. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    That deleted scene is more in line with her character from the book and Finn, would get beat down by her in a melee fight. Weird dialogue though.

KikReask and oncafar like this.
  19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That's true, but I don't really mind either way. It's a short scene and Phasma still gets dispatched.

20. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, and at this point that is all that matters with this pointless, weak character. In the book and this clip you get a hint of what could have been a subplot for 3 movies. That would have taken thought and time devoted to her though. We got Canto Bight, instead.

21. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Whilst Phasma looks cool with the armour and all, is there actually any point to her character?

In the OT, PT, the characters serve a purpose to the overarching story. I don't know what Phasma's role in this is?

22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Phasma serves the purpose of lowering the shields in TFA and representing the boss who has been holding Finn down so he can overcome that? I mean it's not really about her but how she serves other characters?

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There was a time where she could have represented the evil of the First Order's Stormtrooper Program, as their apathetic Marshall who views all of them just as discardable tools, and as a woman who views children only as potential military assets. She could have been Finn's opposite number, so that we have the idealized Stormtrooper against the ultimate renegade trooper.

But yeah, she's mostly a plot point now. Especially when they decided to totally remove her sequence with the other Stormtroopers rather than reshoot it.

oncafar likes this.
  24. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I prefer saving that for episode IX if she comes back. I think it was a decent choice to remove since it slows things down a bit. Plus I thought it would need to take a bit more convincing of some of the storm troopers, no? Finn leading a rebellion/freedom of brainwashed storm troopers would be good to see in the last film.

But the shots of Phasma rapidly firing her blaster in that deleted scene wear beautiful.

25. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Please don't bring her back... Ugh. She had two episodes and Finn defeated her. She's gone now. Let it be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.