main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Your Phasma is dead son, accept it"

2. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Phasma is a droid.

3. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And I thought the nonsense of cloning outstanding characters à la Jorus C'baoth and Luke Skywalker came to an end after the Thrawn Trilogy. [face_skull][face_thinking]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Joruus C'baoth was 20x the character that Jorus C'baoth was.

Blobofat likes this.
  5. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    What was JJ's intentions when he came up with this character?

6. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    To end Phasma's storyline from the novel of D.S. Dawson?

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    His intention, I believe, was to show off an awesome concept art/Armor that someone made in developing the script, and getting an excuse to have a GOT actor in the film.

At least with Abrams in TFA with Poe and Phasma, they were just actors or designs that struck his fancy as something or someone cool to have get more prominence in the film. RJ was the one who decided that Poe needed to be deconstructed and somehow didn't even fix Phasma's misuse in TFA.

8. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    RJ Johnson did deconstruct quite a lot of characters in TLJ.

9. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    I always found it a bit strange (but fitting) that we finally got to meet the real-non-mad-clone Jorus in Outbound Flight and he was still crazy AF

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I got one word for Captain Phasma in TLJ "WASTED" .......

afrojedi and Tusken Slayer like this.
  11. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    J. J. should have called the episode "The last of Phasma" instead. Her fate reminded me strongly on that of Dooku in RotS, while the latter had much more grandios scenes in AOTC which Phasma in TFA was clearly lacking.

BTW: TLJ was running out of villains. And when Kylo really gets redeemed in SoH, then A. Hux will remain the last villain there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  12. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Hux suffered a terrible concussion when Kylo tossed him against that bulkhead. That kind of thing may work in a cartoon, but in real life, that's a serious injury!!!:eek:

So Hux won't be around much for episode 9. Recovering from such an injury takes weeks, maybe months of: No TV, No reading, No computer, No sports, No shouting orders, and definitely No flying space ships. He needs to take it easy.

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    That seems like time had come for a time gap in which Hux may recover.

Maybe we will see a predecessor of such a Hux-tossing by Kylo in "Resistance", which definitely is cartoon.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    If I were Hux, I'd be looking for a new job. Who would put up with not one, but two different supervisors that physically assault you in front of your subordinates?

PendragonM likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    In 9 he will skip the General and become a MMA fighter

afrojedi and Christus Regnet like this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Does anyone know if Christie did the choreography for her fight with Finn? If so, I thought she did a great job. Looked really good.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Of course it is. As someone who never thought Boba was cool, I get the joke, I just think it's weak. One, George already did it with Jango, turning Boba into an actual clone of a much more badass original, with the irony being that Boba is actually the original in reality. Two, if Boba was always lame (he was), then you know what's better than having a laugh at making your new character even lamer? Making a character that is actually as cool as fans thought Boba was. Instead of making another lame character, why not just make a cool one?

Their choices were to make a cool character, or make a lame character on purpose. They chose the latter, because it was totally meta and to them meta is always the best choice. Making an actually cool Phasma would have had a meta effect anyway (ooooohh this is what Boba should have been), but everything in this trilogy must be boring. You guys expected fun? Well, we're not going to give it to you. Twist!

What a waste. I've heard there is a Phasma novel, it's the only new canon material I've been even slightly tempted by (movies included), but why would I want to read about this lame Boba joke? By making her so terrible in the movies, they've ruined her appeal in the expanded universe. Even if they made a cool version of her in the EU, it would be out of character, it wouldn't be the true version. The true version is the joke on screen.

18. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    It made Phasma a weak character, because she was slain by Finn at that early and unexpected time. But - hey - Snoke did bite the dust almost the same humiliating way. That nobody may steal Kylo Reylo the show at any cost.

I never saw Phasma as a new edition of Boba Fett, but it makes sense. Maybe you just have not the right humor to appreciate Phasma's doom in TLJ. I guess funny in TLJ ought to be Finn's escaping from the medi-station with still all the tubes hanging out of his suit.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I find the “Boba backlash” to be far more tiresome than Boba fandom. He was a minor character that people enjoyed because he looked cool, tracked down Han by anticipating his clever trash maneuver, and gave Vader some lip. He seemed to both be fearless and smart (don’t recall Jango displaying any mark of intelligence). But then, Lucas dumped him into a pit...

I say let people enjoy their minor characters. At least it’s a positive passion. No need for every little thing in fandom to be a fight.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    godisawesome likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes.
    He was jealous.
    More yes.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Bor Mullet and godisawesome like this.
  21. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    We can only pray that Phasma isn't the ONLY Chrome Trooper...

...right?

Was Phasma supposed to be a thing? Seriously, I know that Phasma's design was gonna be scrapped but then Kennedy saw it and said "What's that? It looks great. Use it on someone" and thus the Phasma the character was created and they cast a famous actress known for portraying the most formidable woman warrior on Game of Thrones....so what was the point if she is dead now?

I could arguably say that Tr8R is the most kick ass Stormtrooper so far, not Phasma.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  22. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    Captain Phasma is the Boba Fett of the sequels, and she did her job excellently.

MarcJordan likes this.
  23. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    What did she do so excellently? As far as I can see...she barely did anything. I don't see the need for an actress of Gwendolin's calibur taking a role like this.

She didn't need to be the Boba Fett of the sequels. History doesn't have to repeat itself.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    ... Unless it will become a parody.

25. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    Guess the crapple apple didn't fall far from the old tree. I'm actually reading Last Command now, and C'Boath is EASILY one of the best villains I've seen written in SW. His pallid, calm demeanor, which can break into either murderous laughter, desperate madness, or cold, cruel contempt. Andy Searkis would have had a field day with this guy. He's a Hannibal Lecter type that's just completely off his chain and his creepy obsession with breaking Luke, Leia and the twins into his little cult makes him utterly terrifying.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Blackhole E Snoke and Sudooku like this.