main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hail Saitan! Vegan food discussions, recipes, hacks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 13, 2018.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m currently setting up a vegan and vegetarian street food business. I’m still very much the carnivore, and don’t see that changing anytime soon, but the times they are a-changin’ and most meat eaters generally seem more open to a plant-based meal with their ever-growing group of veggie/vegan flexitarian friends.

Tl;dr I’ve seen the trend, and I’m getting on board. Vegan food is now delicious,

ITT i’d hope it to become a discussion place for all things vegan. Are you a vegan? Are you contemplating reducing meat and animal-based products in your diet? Or can they have your sausage when they pry it from your cold dead fingers? Do you have any vegan recipes that you want to share, or recommendations for any good meat substitutes?

I tried a vegan hotdog yesterday. It was made of a wheat gluten protein called Saitan. It was delicious, and scarily similar to the real thing going in. This morning is another story for another time. Today I’m off for an organic Swedish oats coffee with the post-milk generation, and some sushi wraps (sans-fish).

Nom or vom?

SuperWatto, TCF-1138 and Diggy like this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually, I have recently started to see the genius in vegan cuisine where, excuse the saying, "I can't believe it's not (insert normal food here)".

Specifically, ice-cream where the coconut substitute is surprisingly close to the genuine article. I am also enjoying raw, uncultured butter (macadamia nut based), vegan chocolate, almond lattes and various dips. I'll never convert fully but I have learned to appreciate it more than I have in recent years.

I cannot recommend this brand enough: http://botanicalcuisine.com

Darth Punk likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How do you know if someone you meet is vegan?

Don't worry, they'll let you know.

Jay, FatBurt, Ender Sai and 6 others like this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Because I was asked, I will fulfill Diggy's prophecy and announce I have been vegan for almost 25 years.

Punk, get the book "Cooking with Seitan". Not because it is a good source of info on "wheat meat" but because the title looks brilliant on a bookshelf if people don't know what seitan is and assume the devil wrote a cookbook.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Steak and sausage are the two obstacles that have kept me from joining my son in the realm of the herbivore. Sausage is almost easy to find an acceptable substitute but I have yet to see one for steak.

Field Roast brand are the best meatless hot dogs I’ve found.

Iron_lord and Darth Punk like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Upton's make probably the most believable sausage substitute possible. With multiple varieties (applewood smoked, Italian, etc.). As far as "ground beef" goes, whatever alchemy the Impossible brand use for their burger "meat" is deceptive beyond description.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    25 years in, surely you don’t need to still con your inner caveman that you’re eating flesh?

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Not at all. But, it helps to be able to offer convincing items to others we are hosting or having join us at a pub or restaurant.

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Punk, have you been to a Veggie Grill franchise restaurant? They seem to have perfected vegetarian as fast food, offering "burgers" and "chicken strips" and fries on their menu. There's one by my office. I haven't really investigated how vegan it is, but it attracts a large and ethnically diverse and international lunch crowd every day of the week, and I assume on weekends too since a lot of apartment buildings have gone up in the north loop lately here in Chicago. don't know how legit is is, but people seem convinced.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    My wife went vegetarian almost five years ago. So needless to say that my meat consumption has been reduced.

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but I did a really good vegan pie for a medieval fair a couple of weeks ago. In fact it was actually better than my chicken pie that I had brought for the carnivores.

Darth Punk likes this.
  12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    No, they might draw an international crowd, but they’re not international yet, and I’ve not been to the colonies in about 10 years.

Ender Sai and Rylo Ken like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It might help to study their menu. Give me your address and I'll UPS a couple of entrees and side dishes to you. Should be at your place in 7-10 business days. Enjoy!

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks, will defo take you up on that.

So, for the next two months, I’m going to be working at a different music festival each week. There’s so many great veggie and vegan offerings here. In many ways these streetfood vendors are at the cutting edge (should’ve said bleeding edge) of creativity. I’ll be sampling and post pics.

Can’t believe I’ve become a post pics of your food person.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I am a carnivore, but I have a big endorsement to give to these:
    [​IMG]

Seriously, they taste exactly like chicken but without any gristle. And the seven grain breading is amazing. Even my super carnivore brother agreed.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm like 99% vegan, but I do eat eggs from time to time. Haven't had any meat or dairy for over sixteen years now - about half my life. Still get "meat cravings" though, so a lot of the food I eat is prepared so as to emulate meat dishes.

There are a few vegan steak substitutes that are pretty damn good actually, even if not perfect. However, if they're available in the U.S. or not I don't know.
    My personal favorite is the pepper steak from Veggyness.

[​IMG]

I used to buy these whenever I went to Germany, since they weren't available in Sweden, but last year, all of a sudden they were being sold in my local supermarket. [face_dancing]
    Overall, in my opinion the best fake meat products are the ones from Veggyness. Their Chorizo is to die for.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven’t tried those, but these are really good and taste like real meat.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord and solojones like this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not a vegan, and I don't know if those 'chicken' products are available in the UK - but how are they cooked? Are they baked or do they have to be fried?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I bake the TJ’s ones.

I want to try that steak but it doesn’t look like it’s available in the US. Going to double check at Whole Foods though.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I might check the Sainsburys frozen food section tomorrow if I remember. I know there's a vegetarian section.

Edit - judging by the website those aren't available there but I'll look anyway.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I want a retail version of the Impossible Burger, God dammit.

Darth Punk likes this.
  22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah the chicken fingers are baked. Didn't know TJs had them. There's one near my work but sadly not near my new place I'll be moving into in August.

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Ok, so tried the oat milk latte this morning. In the boring food pic you will see a thingy advertising vegan sushi. I haven’t had that yet, but they are known to rock.

The takeaway is that oat milk is a ******* good sub for cow juice - get on it phobes.

[​IMG]

Currently watching the killers headlining the main stage. What a bunch of limp wristed slack jawed Murican vegans

PUNK EDIT: forgot to say. If I ever get married again, smile like you mean it will be my first dance song.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    ?

?

... Where's your truck?

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Not live yet bro. Back with my mate for the time being.

FESTIVAL UPDATE: Liam Gallagher now on stage with the killers

SuperWatto likes this.