main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hail Saitan! Vegan food discussions, recipes, hacks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 13, 2018.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My friend's girlfriend is a vegan, but I don't think I've met herbivore.

epic and SuperWatto like this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I bet those things cost a fortune.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    N
    Not gonna lie, that's a petty good combo.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Went to an Indian restaurant/pizzeria (odd combination, I know) just around the corner that I haven't had a chance to try until today. Had a vegan Lamb Vindaloo, and it was stunning! No idea what they used for the "lamb", but it was without a doubt the best veggie lamb I've ever eaten. Only cost about $9 too. I'll be eating there a lot from now on. If you ever find yourself in Karlstad, Sweden you need to eat at Orrholmens Pizzeria.

Is that Oatly's oat milk?

5. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I am not a vegetarian, but I always have meatless Fridays and I try to consume less meat because I only eat the meat my family raises. My favorite vegan dishes are lentil tacos, lentil curry, and black bean burgers.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Emphatically agreed. My wife has basically prodded them about this on social media to the point where I am shocked there has not be any sort of restraining order issued.

@Darth Punk - We attended a vegan festival in Atlantic City today... mainly because Sea Shepherd were there and we fawn over their organization like a 13 year old girl at a Taylor Swift concert... but the majority of food companies present seemed to have an emphasis on street food. The highlights were a plant based empanada company with some outrageous fillings and a Jamaican family who somehow mastered the art of a convincing vegan "ox tail" and "curry goat" alongside the obvious rice & pea, mac & cheese, plantains options. It got me thinking of your endeavor. Are you considering a single style of food or are you planning a bit more of a variety to hit as many potential customers as possible?

Darth Punk and Master_Lok like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m a vegan.

Diggy likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    In the past year, three restaurants in my small town have started to serve the Beyond Burger, so I'm happy (and slightly fatter).

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m considering doing Veganuary but haven’t decided. My biggest concerns are making sure there are plenty of quick meals (spending an hour cooking after I get off work isn’t going to happen) and getting enough protein for the running/biking/swimming that I do.

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Enough protein really isn't a problem. Most "meatless meat" alternatives have more than enough, whether it be soy, gluten or similar. If you don't want to go that route, soy beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans - basically all beans - have all the protein you need, and you don't need to eat that much of it. Meat isn't actually a better source of protein than, say, seitan or tofu.
    /protein junkie that hasn't had meat in 17+ years. :)

As for quick meals, I'd gladly share some simple recipes with you, but I have no idea how American measurements work. :p

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I cook a huge vat of veggie curry or dahl, portion it up, and keep it in the freezer

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
  13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I haven't gone full vegan, unfortunately I'm just too fond of my occasional bacon sandwich or tuna steak to last on a completely vegan diet. But my mum's decided to go vegan for her health, and to support her (while also helping clean my own act up a bit too) I've been trying all kinds of vegan meals. I tried vegan tuna for lunch today, which was garbage. I really don't recommend trying it. But yesterday's dinner was a really nice Quorn shepherds pie with salad.

[​IMG]

Even without being strictly vegan, I think I'm going to be making a habit out of eating these.

I also made a vegan curry from scratch a few nights back, which turned out pretty well.

TCF-1138 and Darth Punk like this.
  14. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    As a vegan, is it ok to eat insects or snails, or would eating those keep you well in the realm of being carnivore?

I’d like to see more meats that come from less resource intensive animals.

Darth Punk likes this.
  15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Nothing with a face is a general rule of thumb.

Also, nothing with a thumb

16. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    So, a meal worm would be ok, but not a cricket?

17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Have at it

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    So it's only three months later, but I've decided to give up my beloved bacon sandwiches and tuna steaks and go full vegan myself.

I've been thinking a lot about life, and I just don't feel comfortable eating meat for my own nutrition anymore. I'm kicking off my new found veganism with a slow cooker ratatouille today.

19. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Another bump, but for obvious reasons I can't cook from fresh at the moment. So I went to the local co-op and picked up a tin of this, and it was really rather nice. Going to add avocado to it next time I have it.

[​IMG]

Darth Punk and LAJ_FETT like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That does look good. I have to hit the small Co-op near me in the morning - might see if they have some. I'll give the avocado a pass though - I don't like it.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love avocado actually. One of the few "millennial" things I legitimately like.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looked for that chili at the Co-op this morning and didn't find it. @Chewgumma - is the store you bought yours at a large one or a small one?

Since I had chili on my mind I bought a can of regular meat chili at the Co-op - that's all they had in the chili dept.

23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's not a tiny corner shop, but it's not one of their superstores either.

I find that Co-Op can be really hit or miss with vegan-friendly foods, as it differs greatly between stores. I have two where I live, one has a nice little range of vegan foods (I got a vegan pate and crumpets for my breakfast this morning, and a bar of white chocolate for my treat for making it through the weekend without drinking.) but the other one, of a similar size, has no vegan foods at all.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Your other one sounds like mine. Mine is fairly small - it used to be a Morrisons Local. Not as small as the corner store or newsagents near me but not a whole lot larger either. I'll keep an eye out as I usually hit there a couple of times a week.

Chewgumma likes this.
  25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah, about the size of a Morrison's local would describe both my Co-Ops perfectly. It's just something some managers don't think to stock, because it's not exactly something that sells in huge numbers and shelf space is precious in such retail space.

Hope you can find it eventually though, because its tasty. There are some online retailers with it in stock, but obviously those are all swamped right now thanks to the pandemic.