main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Halloween: 2018 Movie and General Franchise Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MotivateR5D4, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I read an article in a movie magazine that was handed out during NYCC this past weekend about the film and in particular Curtis' role in it. So they did throw out the storylines to all of the sequels; including the big one that revealed Michael was Laurie's brother. The one thing that I'm wondering about (of which for those that have seen the new movie, please don't spoil it) is how it's suggested that Michael was eventually captured and incarcerated all these years. Going by just the original movie, he escapes after having been shot at and falling out the window.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Halloween 4 is rather good, as I see it; not over-the-top, appropriately creepy when it needed to be. Also, the opening sets the tone well:

Also, perhaps my favorite pithy moment in the series:

:p

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Having not seen this new one, knowing Loomis, he probably had local authorities searching everywhere in Haddonfield and the surrounding areas. Plus, if they remove the supernatural elements, Michael was shot and stabbed (clothes hanger and maybe knife - I forget).

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's right; I remember the clothes hanger (wasn't that from Laurie hiding in the closet?), but not the knife.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so I did some googling and Danny McBride (co-writer) basically said that he wanted the brother thing removed because "Michael Meyers isn't my %#$@%$ing brother!" and made it scarier if he is just random.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It bothers me a bit that Halloween H2O is non canonical. No, it bothers me a lot. spoiler. Curtis bad-assedly lops off Michael Meyers' head. Get up and walk off now you big onesie wearing ****. It feels like a promise to end the franchise. But I guess it's exactly that kind of promise that Hollywood is most unable to keep. You bastards. **** all of you. Rot in ****ing hell you ****head sons of bitches. Mother ****ing ****ball *******s

but the new movie looks like a hoot! Count me in.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    H20's last five minutes are so damn good that it was always in the back of my head for this one being pointless if they can't top it. But, hey, think of it as it is: H2O is a sequel to Halloween 1 & 2 and this is a sequel to the single original film. Michael Meyers Multiverse!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Just got back from watching. This movie is amazing! There's so much depth in its continuity from the original. Jamie Lee plays perfectly who you would expect Laurie Strode to be 40 years later. The Shape is absolutely menacing. The new take on the music is haunting. It's modern but not too modern, a very straight forward sequel. It's everything you would expect this sequel to be. This will make your Halloween!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    This is just a yes/no question to avoid spoilers: for those who've seen the new movie, does it actually show how Michael was captured after his escape in the final scene of the original?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Having read spoilers for the ending, I can definitely wait to rent 2018 Halloween.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Apparently this Halloween is going to outgross, like, every other Halloween movie in a single weekend. Probably looking at a new trilogy. Hopefully they wait another 20 years for Laurie so we get Halloween: 60 Years Later in the Nursing Home.

"I said Michael Meyers!"
    "What?"
    "Wasn't he your brother?!"
    "Hell if I know!"

I'd be funny if in the next Halloween II they made Michael Laurie's brother again ahahhaah

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

Rylo Ken, Master_Lok and Diggy like this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You’re playing the Lokery wrong. The trick is to find a rarity, which is films Lok says she is going to see. Pointing out points she wont see in cinemas is shooting fish in a barrel.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh] I love you guys. You’re so on point. =D= For certain modern movies, I read spoiler filled reviews and decide if that’s worth $17 and having people talk, text and kick my back during a film I paid money to see. No spoiler to say more nay than yay!

With movies, I generally live by the motto: “Rent new, buy old.” That has served me very, very well, especially in the last few years. Real life stuff gets in the way too. Though I do make geeky exceptions.

Maybe I’d go if Carpenter wrote and directed it, but I can wait.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think a reason Halloween might have such a huge opening is that people do like the slasher genre but horror is the one genre where something waxes and wanes in popularity until one type of horror sub genre come back huge again to lead the pack (and then bring a bunch of imitators). there hasn't had a slasher horror movie be top dog in .... quite a while. We're due, basically.

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Just saw it. Easily the best sequel, and a fine companion piece to the original.

Pros:
    -The three female protagonists strike a perfect balance between the formidable and the vulnerable.
    -Michael Myers is as frightening a personage as he was in the original; the mask and gait splendid.
    -Some beautifully rendered scenes, including that infamous tracking shot which may be the series' crowning achievement.
    -A fine, fine ending. No sequel, please.

Cons:
    -Some of the humor works wonderfully, some of it is out-of-place.
    -Could have used a bit of padding, as the pacing of the second act is a bit too merciless.
    -I realize this is a horror movie, but why exactly wasn't every cop in Illinois swooping into Haddonfield once Myers escaped the bus?

Here's how I'd rank it in terms of horror sequels:

1. Aliens
    2. The Bride of Frankenstein
    3. Dawn of the Dead
    4. Evil Dead II
    5. Alien 3
    6. Psycho II
    7. Halloween 2018
    8. The Exorcist III: Legion
    9. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    10. Son of Frankenstein

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I've read a lot of the criticisms, from official reviews to internet forums. And I'm not sure exactly what they could have done differently in this sequel. It is exactly what you would expect. But that in itself seems to be as much of a knock on the movie as if it were actually bad. People aren't separating the two. Going into it without any expectations, as if Halloween was a new franchise and this was the sequel, this would absolutely be a great follow up. But it seems like the years and the lore of it, from the detractors point of view, takes away from being able to see it for what it is. Granted, that shouldn't make it totally immune from criticism. I just don't know how this movie could have played out differently that would have satisfied those who didn't like it.

No.

18. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Motivate: Well, I feel strange writing this, given my antipathy towards the insufferable bloated modern blockbuster, but Halloween '18 could have benefited from a slightly longer running time. Green reportedly pared the film down by a half-hour (and yeah, 2:20 is much too long for a movie like this) but I suspect some integral character bits and narrative-bridging were sacrificed in the process. I'm really curious about these deleted scenes now.

Is this the equal to the original? No. Carpenter's masterpiece, with its elegant simplicity, atmosphere and slow-burn tension, is in a class of its own, while H18 sometimes struggles with its more complex characterizations and tonal shifts.

Is this the best sequel? By leaps and bounds...it's not even debatable. Even the better ones had immense flaws (e.g., Halloween 2 had foreboding ambiance but a terrible script; Halloween 4 had a sturdy story and performances, but mixed execution; H2O had Curtis, but is too much of a Scream clone).

Go see it, folks.

19. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Anytime I see this mentioned I think of this

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah this was a soldly slashy time! Like in the original Halloween (and many other slasher movies after it) there is probably a wee bit too much on the teenagers melodrama but it does mostly a good job of just establishing who is who. Virgina Gardner as a babysitter with a kid who knows he's in a horror movie is a highlight. There is funny stuff but it happens mostly in the last 40 minutes, it plays it really straight until after the bodies start flying. But the best stuff is Michael in this movie, just the way the camera refuses to show his "face" until he actually gets back his real face. Also I kind of love how the entire movie is set off by some snobby podcasters who want to get famous by waving his mask at him. WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I didn't feel bad for the podcasters at all. I literally said to myself...Well, if they had just stayed home and didn't come to Haddonfield and start poking around about something they have no business poking around about, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The podcasters were my favorite characters. I think the fact that they were kind of sleazy made them come to life more than some of the blander characters. It was totally obvious that they were going to get offed pretty quickly, but I really loved them. I think that gas station sequence is maybe the best in the movie. It's just every gear clicking into place and the way it ends with Michael putting on the mask again . . . That whole first thirty or forty minutes, up until he puts the mask on, that's basically flawless filmmaking. Not that the rest was bad, but him putting on the mask was the peak of the movie for me.

vin, BigAl6ft6 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I finally caught this film last week. It was mostly forgettable. Not as bad as most of the sequels but a tall glass of who cares.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, I want David Gordon Green to have all the money he wants, but I hope he isn't involved going forward. I want him to get back to the kind of smaller films he's really good at as soon as possible.