main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Halloween: 2018 Movie and General Franchise Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MotivateR5D4, Aug 8, 2018.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    LET HIM BURN!!!

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Let the franchise burn! No more movies, JFC!!!

3. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I think the continuation of this franchise can make for a great allegory for what the 2020s have already become. Just one dread after another coming our way with all attempts at stopping them seeming absolutely futile.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Well I’ll watch it. Doesn’t mean I’ll like it!!!!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It's a good metaphor for the Dodgers on my birthday (mostly), given the release date. :p I'm a sucker for this franchise, though; I'll see any/and all installments at least once.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    please stfu tunes

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    DarthTunick likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  9. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I hope they knock it out the park with the synthwave score again. :)

Ava G. and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Halloween Kills!!!

SithLordDarthRichie and Ava G. like this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Have they ever out and out said that Michael is something other than human or are we supposed to think he’s unstoppable because reasons?

12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Reasons are good enough for me. I like the mystery of it.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, reasons is the best reason they've ever offered. When they actually offered a specific reason it was horrid.

vin likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Though I would have preferred he suddenly reappear in the movie with no explanation of how he escaped the burning house.
    That's much more in keeping with the franchise than having him be inadvertently freed as we see in the trailer.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe keeping with the franchise sequels; but in the original and ahem...BEST Halloween movie of course it shows him escaping the mental ward.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Escaping imprisonment is one thing (and even then it's only when he's being transported), he's done that more than once and we don't actually see him do it either.

But everything else - falling from the first story of a house after being shot multiple times, being exploded and set on fire etc - he just survives because whatever.
    I'd prefer a scene where the fire department turn up, one of them falls into the cellar and Michael isn't there.
    How did he get out? Because he's Michael Myers

How did he get back to Haddonfield so quickly on the same night? Because he's Michael Myers

That's why he's great.
    The more human he is, the less threatening he becomes.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Shatner mask gives him super Shatner powers.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I know what you mean.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I hope the town vs. Meyers thing is enough, or the whole last act of this installment; it's what I'm most intrigued about.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The firefighter sequence obviously looks to be a dream sequence, after which Laurie, or somebody, wakes up, and declares that Micheal must be stopped.

There’s actually a bit of backlash with all the other kills that are shown in the trailer, since people feel like it spoils a lot of the movie.

I didn’t get into the franchise until about ten years ago, and by then, the whole supernatural mystique of Michael Myers was already firmly in place. It was easy to just assume reasons from then on. I think people who saw the original films when they were released, or soon after, got to experience Michael Myers as just a random guy in a mask with no supernatural aura attached to him. Which obviously is horrific in itself. But from what I’ve seen of the fandom, it’s basically split like that.

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I have to agree. I thought 2018 was at least a decent film if at times a tad silly. The first 20 mins were awesome but then it got a little hokey. Still, the awesome orignal and this 2018 version worked out OK, IMO. I really cant get into any of the others. And the trailer for this one just doesnt look so great.

vin likes this.
  22. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I'm glad to see they're finally making Haddonfield itself a character; it's the only interesting direction to take the story now that the Shape/Laurie dynamic is played out. Hopefully this is given precedence, rather than the slaughter.

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I’m pretty sure there’s another one after this. I think they were originally slated for 2020 and 2022, but that obviously got pushed back.

24. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I liked Halloween (2018) well enough--- though while watching it I could not help but to compare it to H:20 (which I found much more enjoyable for the fact that Laurie's character had more focus and the conflict with her son felt more real). Halloween (2018) has the fancier camera angles and doesn't re-use the soundtrack from one of the Scream movies, which are pluses, but outside of a few threads like Dr. Sartain desperately trying to understand Michael in an anti-Loomis way, the film didn't give me anything to make me want more movies. However, watching the trailer all the way through and seeing the townspeople rise up (Halloween 4 vibes) definitely piques my interest. I have seen every Halloween film, minus the third one, and have always found something to love about each of them. This one will probably bring me the same joy, especially if I see it in theaters. This is the kind of movie when I need people talking around me. It adds to the fun.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A Halloween superfan friend of ours has been working on a Halloween podcast, and me and my SO have been watching the Halloween movies.

The 3rd movie is a decent horror movie on its own, without the "Halloween" franchise hovering over it. However, it should be noted that Michael Myers actually does appear in the movie - because "Halloween" is a movie in the Halloween III universe, and is playing on a TV set in the background during the course of the story.

Halloween, the original, is fantastic. Halloween II... John Carpenter wrote it while drunk. It shows.

4,5 and 6 are the 'trilogy of goofiness', of which my favorite parts are:

1) The Myers House going from a small 2-story house to a sprawling Gothic mansion
    and
    2) Michael Myers doing the old 'kill the boyfriend in the Halloween disguise, wear the disguise and fool the girlfriend' like he did in the first movie, only he ends up driving her across town, and when she demands he stop so she can get cigarettes, he stops, she gets out of the car, and buys cigarettes!
    and
    3) Michael Myers being shot a million times with rifles, handguns and shotguns, then conveniently falling down a 'bottomless pit' where he eventually is rescued by a hermit who tends him for a year while he's in a coma, and he wakes up just before Halloween

Of course, it all pales in the face of Busta Rhymes in the H20 sequel telling Michael Myers "Trick or treat, mutha ******" and then getting into a kickboxing fight with Myers that Myers loses.

Charmbracelet likes this.