main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Halloween: 2018 Movie and General Franchise Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MotivateR5D4, Aug 8, 2018.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh now I want to know the specifics! Do tell!

2. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    The entire franchise was created because Carpenter and Hill had a shared vision of Busta getting to say that line one day. It was worth it!

Out of the goofy trilogy, 4, for me was pretty solid. I hate what they ended up doing to the Rachel character in 5, but Tina, her friend, was at least cool enough to risk her life for her friend's little sister.

blackmyron likes this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    He may be referring to Halloween 6: Curse of Michael Myers, which revolved around the festival of Samhain and the Cult of Thorn, something about how Micheal will reappear in specific years that's dictated by celestial alignment. I actually find that one to be pretty decent on its own. It's my favorite after 1 and 2. It has some real 90s small town Halloween and fall vibes to it. It's kind of a self contained story, Paul Rudd plays a grown up Tommy Doyle who is now a conspiracy theorist determined to find out the truth about Michael Myers. You have to just take it for what it is. I personally think it was a different story altogether that somebody wrote that they then decided to adapt into the Halloween timeline. But it's good enough.

I think H4 is pretty good as well. The problem is people almost exclusively compare the subsequent installments to the original, and never to contemporary horror of those years, which they hold up pretty well against. I'm particularly a fan of the late 80s/early 90s small town horror films, which is when 4-6 were released. But people always just want to compare them to the original, which I think does them a disservice.

H20 and Resurrection I don't even consider to be part of the lineage. My favorite Busta quote is "Michael Myers is a killer shark, in baggy ass overalls, who gets his kicks from killing everyone and everything he comes across".

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Darth_Foo and blackmyron like this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    However, in Halloween 2, the authorities discover Michael Myers scrawled SAMHAIN on a chalkboard at the elementary school, and Loomis goes on a tear talking about the 'ancient ritual' and how it relates to Myers.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Nice to see a little shout out to Halloween 3: Season of the Witch aka the best Halloween movie in the new trailer.

blackmyron likes this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Loomis is the thread that ties 1-6 together. Everybody talks about how much the story revolves around Laurie. But I've always considered Loomis to be the main character. He carries the weight of the franchise in each of those installments. Without him, I'm not even sure they could have gotten to a sixth as the same continuation from 78.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The twist is that Michael is more of a Misfits fan.

blackmyron and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Halloween has some great moment of comedy, too - Loomis scaring the jerk kids at the Myers house, and yelling at the asylum director who says it was impossible Michael Myers knew how to drive a car despite, y'know, that he was driving a car.
    Plus, Michael's playful side when he dresses up in the ghost costume.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    With reviews out and a little over a month before the release of Halloween Kills, please remember to tag all spoilers before posting.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I didn't really like the last movie; giving Laurie the Sarah Connor role as the Avenger grandmother. So this one continues the legacy role and apparently expands it; where the children that Michael went after in the previous dozen or so movies are all grown up, still living in Haddonfield, and are going to join Laurie and her family in protecting the town from his rampage. Am I missing anything else?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well.... the only of the 'dozen or so movies' that are directly referenced is the original Halloween - easter eggs like the Silver Shamrock masks notwithstanding. (I mean, they went out of their way in the more recent Halloween to directly contradict the plot of Halloween 2).

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't remember Michael going after so many children in the original. I thought it was just the two kids that Laurie was babysitting.

13. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Halloween and Halloween 2 thats it, Michael and loomis both died together in the hospital explosion, laurie lived happily ever after, thats my story and im sticking to it lol, the sequels and rob zombie 2 films are a alternate universe type deal , same with the last one although id say it was best one since halloween 2 1981.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I like the idea of the town standing against the shape that has loomed over them for decades and saying "no more"

And he's an old man now, so you'd think it would be easy.

I'm expecting most of them to be incompetent though, as most horror movie victims are

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’ll still watch this but I’ll be SMHing the entire time. Prove me wrong you sons of bitches!!!!

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I want there to be a moment like this in this sequel:

[​IMG] .

Saw a screening of that at the Egyptian Theater some years ago with a good buddy of mine, and he absolutely lost it seeing that on the big screen; never seen him laugh so much during a movie. :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Michael doesn't even go after them - he doesn't even appear that interested in them.
    He doesn't even really kill that many people (although it's not really discussed much about what happened at the asylum) - three teenagers, two dogs, and a mechanic.
    NO.

That was absolutely the worst.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Nah; the franchise has had far worse moments, particularly say with Halloween 5:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] .

That mask, and turning the Myers house into some Victorian/Gothic nonsense? Terrible.

blackmyron likes this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    One thing of note I got from the trailer is how Laurie really wants to take the mask off. Um, didn't she already do that?

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    There are some shots where the Halloween 5 mask looks really creepy and others where it looks awful

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm still going to rate "Guy that happened to be the one that Laurie Strode was interested in dresses up exactly like Michael Myers, is murdered by an out-of-control cop and the body instantly burned beyond all recognition" as much worse.

Of course, the very best is this:

"Trick or treat, mutha ******!" indeed, Mr. Rhymes.

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't know how the masks became so bad, surely the producers still had access to the originals?

24. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    I think the shatner masks were not in good condition most likely so they had to come up with something different.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I believe that one of the masks was lost or destroyed in the middle of films? I'll need to check - one of my friends is a master of "Halloween lore" and probably knows.

Fun fact: the original novelization has the Myers family cursed as an explanation for Michael's issues, with a past relative also going on a killing spree - well before the backstories in the later movies.