main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Halo - The Movie (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by MasterP, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    That's good news. Heck, Microsoft could put as much money into the movie as possible. If the movie bombed (which is very doubtful) they wouldn't be hurt at all.

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, that's not really true. A movie is a "bomb" if it fails to make back at least twice its budget. That's how King Kong was considered a "bomb" despite making $218 million domestic, and Superman Returns was a "bomb" despite $390 million worldwide.

The higher a movie's budget is, the less likely it is to manage a tidy profit. Look at it from this perspective:

Approximately 7.4 million copies of Halo 2 were sold. Let's assume that for every copy of the game, you've got one person who plans to see the movie. And let's assume that $8 is the standard price for a movie ticket. That's $59.2 million. And let's take it further and say that all of those people have a friend, roommate, or significant other that either enjoys the game as well, or was somehow talked into going to the film anyway. That's $118.4 million.

You don't have to know advanced math to see that if the film were to be made for its $135 million pricetag, that's not going to cut it. To say nothing of the rumors that speculated the price leaping as high as $200 million.

With an untested feature director and a fanbase that, while large, can't guarantee success, $135 million is probably the highest you'd want to go with a film like this, unless you're SURE that it's such a damn fine film people will come back to see it again and again.

Personally, I think you could make a perfectly good Halo film for under $100 million, and they should strive to be creative rather than just throw money at every idea they have.

M. Scott

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    has there been word on where it'll be filmed? maybe New Zealand since PJ is the Executive Producer and WETA is doing a lot of work on it?

4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Except DorkmanScott, it's not just the fanbase but the key demographic of 13-35 year old males that you have to account for in any number crunching. It's a big budget sci-fi action blockbuster with Peter Jackson's name attached - it's not going to be limited in the same way as Resident Evil (or Serenity).

Look at Spiderman, I don't think anyone would say that its success was dependent upon the comic book fan community.

That's not to say that you're wrong, just that your numbers may be too conservative.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005

you bring up a good point. Majority of Spiderman's box office intake wasn't just comic book fans. It was normal people. Like what you said PJ's name being attached will draw people in. The only think I can think w/ PJ having a negative affect is that people will think of King Kong.

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    bungie.net is killing me!
    They keep talking about how their testing Halo 3 multiplayer levels and how sick the graphics are. At least give us some pictures! :(
    The same goes with the movie. They say it is under production, and they won't throw us a bone.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Various places are reporting that work on the movie has halted.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Well, when PJ & the director tell the studios to shove it where the sun don't shine because Universal & Fox backed out at the last possible minute (a couple days/weeks before prelimiary budget spending went into effect), work on a film does tend to halt.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Why would production be halted? Microsoft can finance the whole thing if they wanted to. They have plenty of money

10. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    Well that sucks.
    Got a source?

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    there are several. Just go to AICN, Yahoo, Comingsoon.net, and other places. all of them have articles on it.

12. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    I've got some huge Halo news. Bungie just released that a Halo 3 commercial will be released on December 3rd during Monday Night Football. They also mentioned that 2007 is going to have plenty of Halo, such as Halo Wars, Halo 3, and the movie. They did not mention anything of it being postponed. The link below tells more about what I just said, along with a new Halo 3 picture.

Bungie.net

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    from what I could see it doesn't say anything about the movie

14. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    As you can see, 2007 is shaping up to be a HUGE year for the ?Halo Nation.? And if all of this and ultimately Halo 3 isn?t enough to satisfy your Halo cravings, there?s even more on the longer term horizon like Ensemble?s ?Halo Wars? and the Bungie-Peter Jackson collaboration project that will result in some new adventures in the Halo Universe. In the short term, we have the upcoming release of Halo 2 for Windows Vista which should be landing on a PC near you sometime early in 2007. In addition to delivering Halo 2 in stunning hi-res glory with online optimizations and a custom map editor, it?s also the only way to get precious Live achievements.

15. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Since both Fox and Universal pulled funding for the Halo movie, '07 will be missing one piece of the Halo assault. Unless Jackson & Co can find a distributer if Microsoft wll front the money for the movie.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i don't even think they were planning on an 07 release anyway. i think the target was Summer 08

17. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Did anyone catch the trailer last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OBM_T4UwYw

That's what the movie should be. Screw Fox or Universal, let's just go all CGI like that.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    my friend was saying that as well. although I'd like a full live-action Halo movie more. plus I have complete faith in WETA and PJ that they'll do a good job with the designs, etc.

19. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    Yes, I saw it. I looked pretty sweet. I doubt any of that will make it to the game. Hopefully that shield bubble will make it to Halo 3. If so, I'd be even more untouchable than I am now.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Finally some good news:

20th Century Fox Picks Up Halo movie

Halo Feature is BACK ON!!!
    Date: June 18, 2007

By: Ryan 'The Rican with the Irish name' McLelland
    Source: Variety

Master Chief is smiling today...under the big ol' helmet of his.

20th Century Fox has picked up the license to Halo - the monster Xbox videogame hit. The movie had previously been set up at Universal who decided that a film version might not be a good idea. Perhaps they saw the Rock's Doom.

Though the unsuccessful film development helped bring the two companies closer together, Fox's licensing division has a longer relationship with Microsoft. It handled similar duties for Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo: Elements of Power, two Microsoft-published games that came out in late 2005 in conjunction with the launch of the Xbox 360.

"Those two games established our relationship with them as a licensing agency, and those conversations continued during the same time that a 'Halo' film was in development here," said Elie Dekel, exec VP of domestic licensing for Fox who also added that Fox's licensing division focuses on teens and young adults - so Halo will be a great fit for the studio.

Halo is one of the videogame industry's most popular franchises. Original game and Halo 2 have sold more than 14.5 million units.

Fox is already in various stages of discussion with several dozen licenses and will be talking to potential partners at this week's Toy Fair in Gotham.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That's right, spread the news everywhere. :p

I wonder if seeing the Halo ring on the big screen will wet the apetite for Ringworld.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.