main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Halo: TODAY

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Sanctimoniously, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Olsen

Olsen shook his head. "Sorry Locklear. No Hummers. I had some in my Recon element. Lost contact with them. I found a few that were shot up in the city. I haven't heard from the rest of the recce force. I can only assume the worst."

Olsen turned and began jogging back to his tank. Further in the city, he could hear the splintery crackle of rifle fire, and the strange chirps and whines of alien weapons.

"You and your boys can do it Russian style. There's plenty of room on the back of my tanks. But you'll have to crouch. And make sure your men don't shoot me or the other tank commanders in the back if we're manning our 'Cal fifty's." Olsen lowered himself into the Cupola.

"I picked up a sniper. He was helping us out in Overwatch positions. If he's still with us-- he hasn't reported in in about half-an-hour-- he can give us fair warning of what's up ahead, giving you plenty of time to dismount. If not, we'll just wing it and hope for the best."

As a military professional, Olsen absolutely HATED saying that he'd "hope for the best". It was up to soldiers to make the best happen. Unfortunately, all expectations were out the window with this enemy.

"We're moving out in five. What say you Corporal Locklear?"

TAG: Sripvalentine, Sanc, Pirate, et al

OOC: Sorry, was busy.

2. Sripvalentine

Sripvalentine Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2008
    IC: Locklear

"It sounds good, just dont leave us behind." He said "Alright boys, load up on the back of the tanks were rolling out!"
    The Army scrubs jogged toward the tanks and hopped onto the M1A2 Abrams(Assuming)back.
    He did the same, then he thought, Boy things are about to get a little sporty.

TAG:Deiskrad

3. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    All right, everyone, I'm sorry for my lengthy absence. I've started working the night shift at my supermarket, and in the excitement, it seems I totally forgot about my own RPG.

"Reloading!"

I ducked back into the doorway, ejected the spent magazine, and forced a spare into the receiver. The battle was intensifying as the damaged ship continued to list more and more to starboard. We had managed to take down most of the stocky aliens, but the larger ones had proven very tough to even hit, much less kill. They ducked and dived and rolled away from everything we threw at them.

"Damn it!" Gilmour said. "We NEED to take them down, or else they're going to fry the bridge! Kalinich! Get up there and draw his fire!"

"Aye!" I said. My heart pounded in my throat as I rushed forward toward the alien's position with my gun raised.

I was twenty feet away from its position when it came out of cover and roared a challenge. It didn't fire immediately, just waved its strange-looking weapon around and roared so loudly it blocked all other sound.

Bad idea. The holosight on my MP5-10 aligned with his center of mass, and I hammered on the trigger.

There was a problem, however. My rounds were hitting the alien, but they didn't appear to be doing anything. It wasn't until the second or third hit that a bright silver shimmer exploded all over its body and it rocked back.

Shields.

My volume of fire prevented it from raising its gun to fire at me. I got off about twenty rounds before it roared again and dived back under cover.

"That thing's got shields!" I roared. "Everyone, concentrate your fire on it!"

Everyone in range opened fire as the alien jumped back out of cover and rolled right in front of me. I gasped and flattened the trigger again, draining the rest of my magazine.

"Oh, God. . ."

The alien roared another challenge and rushed me. I backpedaled as quickly as I possibly could, attempting to reload as I did so. But the alien was much too fast, and he was upon me right as I rammed the magazine home. I jerked the muzzle upward and fired once, hitting the shield. The sparks dancing from it made the hairs on my neck stand on end. The alien raised its weapon and swung at my head. I saw its arm begin to move and managed to duck seconds before the blow came. Wind rushed through my hair as its powerful arm missed me and it slammed its gun into the deck rails with a massive crash. From the corner of my eye, I could see the strange glow of the weapon disappear.

It just destroyed its own weapon!

It shouted in rage, dropped the ruined gun, and backhanded me. The force of the blow nearly blacked me out, and sent me flying across the deck. I hit metal and slid several more feet, with the MP5 just in tow. Something stopped my slide, and I quickly snatched up the sling of the SMG and brought it to bear. Just in time: The alien had brought out a smaller weapon, a pistol-like thing with the same glow of the one he just broke. I aligned the reticle with the glow and fired. The pistol shattered in an explosion of green and spark, and his shield flared once more. I quickly dragged the reticle across his body from his arm to his head, draining the rest of the magazine. When the bolt clicked on nothing, I did something that I couldn't explain.

I charged the unarmed alien.

It hadn't been expecting the aggressive move, and that worked to my advantage. I put my entire weight into a mighty swing of my gun, which I delivered to the alien's unarmored stomach. The stock of the gun shattered and the grip snapped off, but as the alien doubled over, a new effect occurred. A very bright flash momentarily blinded me, and my body buzzed as if shocked. The alien screamed, and the effect subsided.

I think I just took out the shields.

Before I could consider the ramifications of this, it backhanded me across the chest again, knocking the wind out of me and slamming me against the deck rails. I tasted copper. But I recovered quickly and sprang off the rails into

4. Sripvalentine

Sripvalentine Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2008
    OOC: Alright, can I suggest we notify all the members of this game, just to get this thing going strong again?

5. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    OOC: Hey guys as an avid reader of this thread, it has both inspired me and kept me at the edge of my proverbial seat! :eek: =D= Please, please, please don't let this one die! :_|:mad:

Very sincerely,

Vangarian :)

6. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC:

Sorry I've not posted up, but things were getting in the way. I will be back in the swing of things and putting a post together shortly!

7. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Major Joe Olsen, 1st tank battalion, New Orleans

Olsen considered himself a hard man: his singular focus allowed him to be unaffected by the hideous things he'd seen in his years as a soldier. But despite all that, he felt his stomach burble in revulsion and sorrow at what he saw.

A family of five sat on their front porch. They sprawled slightly, but were all propped up by the house. A collection of Bibles and crucifixes were strewn at their feet. Single holes in the foreheads marred their otherwise peaceful features. It was obvious that the parents had killed the kids first before turning the guns on themselves. A .22 caliber colt woodsman dangled loosely from the father's right hand. In the left, a blood-dappled prayer book.

Olsen heard one of the Infantrymen retch on the back deck of his tank, and he regretted having referred to them as "Army Pukes" over the open channel earlier. With effort he focused his attention away from the ghastly domestic scene and towards the road ahead. The Abrams column trundled on.

They'd not been the first civilians they'd seen on this march. Several other times, desolate figures --singly or in groups-- had approached the column, babbling incomprehensibly for aid. One even tried to block the column to stop it for his wife and baby. Olsen ordered the driver forward anyway, and averted his gaze. The father dove out of the way, and Olsen had wondered about the status of his soul.

Quite suddenly, streamers of rainbow light thrust at the sky from a square about four blocks ahead and to the left at about 11 o'clock. Distantly, they heard an aircraft meet its firey doom as the plasma found its mark. Burning flotsam highlighted on the horizon as it arced downard to earth.

Olsen spun around in the cupola to face Locklear.

"Alien AA battery, unless I miss my guess. We could skip it and achieve our objective, but I say we go for it. I'm going to close to two blocks and then you guys can dismount." Olsen patted his pockets, but his map was in the fighting compartment.

"Got your map?" He asked. "we need to plan this."

TAG: Sripvalentine

8. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    BUMP!!!!

9. Bloodline

Bloodline Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2008
    GM approved

Name:Halyen Malakian
    Service:United States Army;82nd Airborne
    Military Occupational Specialty(MOS):11A(infantry)
    Weapons:M16A4;M9;M67 Frag (3)

Bio:Halyen was born to a schoolteacher mother and a steel mill worker father.As the baby of a family of 18,not many options were available to him other than the steel mill or Farming.Growing up in Rural he yearned to see the world,not just the backwoods of Victoria,Texas.Following HS graduation he entered the West Point Military academy,where he commissioned as an Infantry Officer.

Halyen is an eager,loyal young man willing to put his life on the line for the good of the mission.Due to his inexpirence he tends to rush headfast into battle without thinking.

10. Bloodline

Jul 18, 2008
    IC:Second Lieutenant Halyen Malakian,505th PIR,New Orleans

Fate. The path to enlighment or a way for God to judge man? Was fate a path for sin or salvation? Which was easier to follow and did the outcome really even matter? These were just some of the unexplainable thoughts that were running through Halyen's mind. It seemed he had too many questions and too few answers.
    "Geez this is a long way down..Wonder if anyone has fallen from this height and lived" He thought to himself as he and his headquarters element occupied one of 5 black hawks that were circlling around the City. As he took deep breaths, trying his hardest to gain his compulsure.

One breath. Indecision crept into Halyen's mind, seeping into his heart,eating at his eagerness with prime relish. Images of his platoon dead and disfigured, victims of a covenant attack coursed through his head.Failure.Death.

Two breaths.Heart rate speeding up.Family man, or soldier? Man or Mouse? Which was the way to go?At that point he began to daydream,as if he was floating out of his body,being there, but not really.Halyen pulled out a frayed picture of a small boy and young woman:his wife and son. They had last been seen here in the city prior to the Covenant Assault.Since then no one seen hide nor hair of them,increasing his deepest fears.

3rd Breath. Reality settled in. Infantry.Combat.Here and now. At that moment his mind shockdropped back into his body, disoriented.He kissed the picture once,stuffed it back into his helmet.
    {Alpha 2-1, 30 seconds} the pilot's voice crackled in his headset,breaking him from his ill thoughts. Halyen gave the pilot a thumbs up,and looked back at his first squad,trying to regain fortitude. "30 SECONDS!!!!"

As the Helo neared it's objective, the sound Halyen was bracing himself to hear filled his eardrums with unforgiving pressure: the sound of multiple shades going off, the covenant equivelent to Human Artillery, as they left green and bluish clouds in the sky. The first thought at this display was some ill forgotten omen.

The Black Hawk lurched forward slightly,stopping flight to hover.{Rope}the pilot bellowed on the radio."ROPE!!!!!"yelled Halyen, motioning with both hands for the squad to start fast roping down.In unison the other Helos followed suit,his 39 man platoon dropping on the ground, as they took up defensive positions. Halyen grabbed the rope and slid down right beside his platoon sergeant as a green blob flew past his head, hitting the belly of the black hawk,blasting a hole in the middle,as it flew against a building. Halyen gave the Hold position hand signal to the platoon,called for his platoon sergeant and slowly jogged to where the tank was parked. He banged on the side of the tank three times. "Hey!!,Anyone inside?" Talyen asked, his southen accent laced with concern.

Tag:anyone

11. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: I'll be back with it tomorrow.

12. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Major Joe Olsen, 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division. New Orleans.

Spreading the map out on the turret, Olsen considered his options.

"Alright, you can dismount here, and send a couple of fire teams into these buildings here to get overarching fire on the target. One of my platoons will make a demonstration here and get their attention. Meanwhile, the rest of your teams will..."

Movement commanded his attention from the corner of his eye. He swung over and saw a cluster of troops approaching. Dozens of M16's suddenly trained on them. Olsen's loader emerged and racked the bolt on his pintle-mounted SAW.

"Whoa! Stand Down!" Olsen snapped. He beckoned to the newcomers.

"Approach and be recognized. Slowly."

TAG: Bloodline

13. Bloodline

Jul 18, 2008
    IC:Halyen Malakian, 505th PIR,82nd Airborne New Orleans

Haylen and his platoon sergeant stopped in their tracks, last thing anyone needed was anyone getting a twitchy finger.Halyen serveyed the tankers,and immediately felt a wave of relief wash over him.The both of them stepped forward, rifles raised over their heads as they showed that they were not hostiles. Halyen glanced up at the marine on the tank and said "Second Lieutenant Halyen Malakian,82nd Airborne.This is Sergeant First Class John Erwin".Glancing at the Major insignia on Olsen's uniform,in unison the two paratroopers stood at attention and saluted
    "We were on our way back from VA,were heading towards Bragg,heard what was going on here."
    "Been in the air about twenty minutes,seen a couple of skirmishes,mostly Covenant Jackals."Sergeant Erwin said,as he pulled out a cigar and bit on it.

Halyen looked back towards the platoon and called out "Friendlies!, group it up! NOW".Silently,they began to drop from trees and bushes to converge around the tank. "Well, sir, what's the situation?"he asked,thumbing off the safety,motioning for his men to do the same.

Tag:Deiskrad

14. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Major Joe Olsen

Olsen regarded this 2nd lieutenant of the 82nd. He was young. Maybe hadn't even been to Iraq. Well, he was about to get his bellyful of the enemy. Olsen at least hoped this kid was capable, his and his troops' dramatic appearance taken into account.

"The situation is as follows: I've assembled an Ad hoc force to go after an Alien LZ. Congratulations, you just joined. Everything I've encountered so far has been light infantry. My guess is that those ships over there..." He gestured with his chin, so that his hands did not leave the map to the fickleness of the wind. "Those fat ones. I bet those are transport ships for heavy equipment. My plan is to overrun those positions and cause as much all-around hell as possible before the United States can make a proper counterattack. The longer we keep them from landing heavy stuff, the better shot we've got." He re-folded the map and handed it back to Locklear.

"However, over there, we've got some sort of Alien AA battery. And I can't just bypass it while it fries the next F-22 that comes along. So we are going to attack it and put it out of action. I'm attatching you and your men to my tanks. When we attack, you fill in the spaces between our intervals and protect us and our flanks. We advance together and keep them under fire. When we've got them sufficiently distracted, Locklear and his boys will fall on their flank and wrap things up. Questions?"

TAG: Sripvalentine, Bloodline

15. Bloodline

Jul 18, 2008
    Halyen stood silent as his brain quickly analyzed the operation. "No sir, no questions". Halyen looked at his men and said "you guys heard the major, stick close to the tanks, you see any grunts,jackals,Double tap them.Take them down clean. Squad leaders control your elements and maintain distance." The men nodded and quickly fell in step behind and beside the tanks. He motioned for his first squad to take point,the men quickly heeding his words. "Sir, we found a trail.Looks big enough for us to pass through".Reported a small Private.
    "I see a small body of water,geez hope there aren't any snakes" Voiced another.

Halyen shook his head at the whole picture:Tough,trained infantryman talking about snakes. Still, it reminded him of why it was so important to defeat the covenant. Grinning, he called out "all right, allright, keep the chatter low, dont wanna scare the jar heads too much. You know they are still trying to come back from market garden".The men gave playful laughs,and offered half-hearted marine/navy jokes.

He looked up at the Major and said "quick question sir,you all haven't seen a young lady and a little boy have you? They were last seen around the fort polk area i heard.."
    He pulled out his picture and handed it to the major,praying for good news.

16. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004

Olsen looked down at the photograph in the soldier's shaking hand. The swirl of ash-dusted faces he'd seen today made everyone look alike.

"I've not seen them. We weren't stationed at Polk. Don't worry about it. I'm sure that the dependents have been evacuated from Fort Polk." He knew that his words echoed hollow. As the 2nd Lieutenant nodded and started to dismount the Abrams, Olsen called him back.

"Hey. You sure you're focused? In the zone?"

TAG: Ralyen

17. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    BUMP: SIGH.

18. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004

The alien AA battery was greeted by the shuddering blasts of a dozen 120mm Abrams main guns. The HEAT rounds roared forth and loosed their devastation amongst the panicking aliens and their equipment. Olsen could have opted to fire the machine guns instead, but he wanted the enemy's first taste of the Marines to be the main guns. Instantly the short aliens ran about shrieking and seeking cover. Three of the squat, beetle-like turrets that were arrowing plasma at the heavens were blasted into the air and were silent. Olsen racked the bolt on the Cal .50 and fired. Not at anything in particular, he just wanted to continue the alien panic.

There was a flash and one of his tanks were burning, the turret popped off. One fo the remaining alien guns had realigned it's sights and were firing on the tanks and infantry that roared in. It's victory was only momentary, as the fixed gun was met with countless bullets which washed the tall tall alien out of the fighting compartment in a wash of purple ichor.

A squad of aliens was retreating and about to round the corner out of the park and be out of range, but just as he'd planned, a platoon of 82nd airborne soldiers rose up and hosed the survivors with SAW's and rifles. They all went down like tenpins.

"Cease fire." Olsen called over the company net.

The fire died out after half a minute. The whole attack had been about three minutes total.

"Collect tags and re-assemble. two minutes."

Olsen knew he had at least four KIA. The way that abrams brewed up, he knew there would be no survivors. Even now, its chassis glowed and shimmered from the heat of the ionized plasma that had punched through. Olsen waved to Halyen who was reassembling his troops.

"Lieutenant Malakian. Your Casualties? Is your unit still combat-effective?"

TAG: Anybody!

19. Bloodline

Jul 18, 2008
    OOC:Sorry for not posting, Been trying to push my West point App.)

IC:LT. Malakian

As the attack ended Halyen directed his focus to his scattered platoon. "Squad leaders, report"
    "1st Squad, 3 wounded, 1 killed"
    "2nd Squad" none killed, none wounded"
    "3rd squad, none killed...but we have two wounded".
    The more he heard the news, the more his resolve slipped. "Damn...just-"
    "MEDIC!" a anguished voice bellowed out, screeching through the silence. Halyen turned his neck into the direction of the creek, and motioned for some men to investigate. As they made at move to head out, A corpral emerged,as he dragged a wounded soldier into view. "MEDIC, I NEED A MEDIC" the man bellowed again. Halyen stepped to see the man, and at once immediately wished he hadn't: The man's right face side was burned to the point where you could see the back of his head.His eyes had been Half-burned,The blood turning orange.First glance told Halyen that the guy was already gone.
    His arm had been burned clean off,to the point where it wouldn't bleed. Several retching sounds plauged the group,as well as several prayers in numerous languages.
    The 2nd Squad leader shook his head in disbelief "Well,scratch that. 2nd Squad, none wounded, 1 killed. Damn shame".At those words, Halyen looked up and said "What was this man's name? rank?"
    "Juan Rodriguez, Specialist" Sobbed the Corpral who dragged him.

Sergeant Erwin looked at his young platoon leader and said simply "Orders sir?"
    "....Lets give them some Soldier's crosses.They deserve more, but..."Halyen mumbled,as he tossed his M16 aside in fury. Saying nothing, the paratroops quickly dug out six man-sized ditches,unpinned each of their fallen comrades Jump wings,and laid each man in their respective plot. Dirt was immediately thrown back in the ditches,I.D. tags wrapped around each blood stained rifle. In unison, the men jutted the bayoneted rifles above the plots, and placed each man's boots in front of their graves. Halyen looked at his men as they worked, their faces taut with pain, yet they showed no emotion. Halyen looked at his platoon Sergeant, from whom received an encouraging nod.Together the two men placed the Tankers combat helmets on the butt of their arms, placed blood stained maroon berets on the Airborne plots.

Glancing at Major Olsen, Halyen shook his head and said "Sorry its taking so long sir, Its customary for a fallen Paratrooper to have his beret placed on his grave...shows that he has completed his last jump...". Pivoting back towards the graves, he serveyed his men and bellowed out "PLATOON, PRESENT ARMS",everyone swiftly saluting their fallen brethen,Marine and Army.

20. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Major Olsen,, Ad Hoc taskforce, New Orleans

Olsen watched the paratroopers honor their dead, and then gestured Lieutenant Halyen over.

"I need you to pick some good men and scout ahead. The landing site isn't far, and I want to sell our lives dearly. Find us the most undefended route and get back here. No heroism. And don't get discovered."

TAG: Bloodline.

21. Littledawg

Littledawg Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2008
    OOC
    Hey anyone is this thing still running and gunning cause if it is i would like to join PM a reply so i dont hold this up further

22. Littledawg

Littledawg Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2008
    GM Approved
    Name-John Walker

Age- 21

Service- Army

MOS- United States Airborne Paratroopers

Rank- Corpral

Weapons- M16A2,Rated for M4,AN old Colt .45 from his Grandfather, 3 Frag grenades

Bio: The youngest of five children John always had to claw to top for everthing. Always forced to live in the shadows of older brothers, and sisters. He ran away from his home in Dallas and got a ride to New York where he join the police force as an orderly.He lived alone for the time until he was 20 and met the girl of his dreams Alexis Vandetta. He was ready to marry her when she was caught in the middle of a tragic shootout and was killed along with his unborn son. John went mad, saw his world be built from nothing and torn back down. Thats why he join the Army to take his mind of his problems. So when the call to battle came he said only this"I'm ready to go to war".

23. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    YAWN...

24. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: I've got a post coming. Soon.

25. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Major Joe Olsen, 1st Tank battalion, New Orleans

"Repeat message. Say again? Over." Joe yelled into the Mic. The message was very faint. Long-range radios were next to useless due to the ionizing effects of the alien plasma. he tapped the speaker and listened over the roar of the tank.

"Red Tail this is Glass Eye. Tilt. I say again: Tilt. Over."

Joe wasn't sure whether to be infuriated or relieved. Tilt was the signal to make all speed for the north side of the river and to continue heading north to a new MLR which they would be apprised of later. He was relieved because this meant they would live a little while longer. But he was angry because he was close to his objective of rolling the Alien LZ.

Gripping the coaming of the Turret, Olsen hauled himself up into the breezing air.

"All units hold position. All units hold positions. Company commanders to me Soonest." He didn't wait for the acknowledgements. Sighing, he turned to address the quizzical Lt. Malakian and Locklear.

"They're withdrawing us. God only knows why."

TAG: Sripvalentine, Bloodline

IC: Brtak 'Hasdapree, Sangheili Zealot, Commanding Third Arm of the Fleet of Joyous Purification

'Hasdapree touched the etheral light panel before him. A series of figures appeared, scrolling upwards. 'Hasdapree stared. The figures did not stop.

Casualties.

Hundreds of them.

He was appalled. Then embarassed, then enraged, then suddenly anxious. The humans were putting up incredible resistance to his landing on the northern portion of the lesser continental mass on this planet. He'd selected a coastal city for the attack, and had ordered the immediate surrounding area glassed before sending in his troops. He figured that as on previous campaigns, the shock and terror and confusion caused by the glassing would stun the populace into near immediate submission. The Prophets had predicted a victory within a cycle with minimal casualties.

'Hasdapree had never agreed with the figures of light casualties, nor victory within a cycle. But this... This was almost unheard of! Especially considering the fairly low level of technology their enemies wielded. Now, other options had to be considered. Ones that were almost thrown out of the planning phase.

'Hadaspree had lost a disproportionate number of Banshee flyers and pilots. They had been engaged by the enemy air forces and ground defenses and they had taken a considerable toll. They had been victorious, but were later called on to silence the Human floating gun emplacements in the nearby sea, who were firing on Covenant landing zones. The Banshees and their Snagheili pilots had been slaughtered and swept from the sky by the floating platform's close-in defenses.

Some of those platforms still had not been silenced. This, despite multiple attacks from the banshees, and even some attempts at boarding. 'Hadaspree had the cold, sinking feeling that the COvenant were in for a months-long, if not years long campaign. Which meant many casualties. Some of his Sangheili brethren no doubt were happy to have the chance to embark on their Journey, but 'Hadaspree would much rather live and achieve the glory of victory, and embark on his journey after drawing his pension for a long time.

He made a decision. touching another ethereal button, he paged his Chief of Staff.

"Evacuate our surface troops. We will glass the rest of this boil of a population center. Show the rest of this planet that resistance is worse than pointless."

TAG: Anyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.