main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DantSolo, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Hello:) This thread has been a long time coming, I think. First off, as the
    name implies, this is a thread for those who are fans that enjoy Han and Leia
    as a couple and also like the EU. I happen to be one of those fans:) Do I
    think the EU is perfect? No, of course not. But do I still enjoy it?
    Absolutely!

Now might be a good time to discuss the and etiquette here at our little
    thread:

*Most importantly, if you are not a fan of Han and Leia in the EU, this is
    not the place for you. You may join in, I can't stop you. You have a right
    to your opinion. But as this first post suggests... this is a Fan Club
    thread. It would be appreciated if the EU isn't completely bashed by others
    here. Similarly the characters of Han and Leia. I have always been very
    respectful toward other threads, whether or not I agree with the issues
    presented there. I would appreciate the same common courtesy.

* Any disagreements of opinion are to be handled in a mature, rational
    manner, and please, no flaming.

That having been said, welcome to our humble abode!:D We're glad you could
    stop by and visit our little corner of the galaxy! I suppose to get things
    started, I'll introduce a topic:

What is your favorite EU novel, and why?

Have fun, friends!:)

Fellow Han and Leia fan,
    Mush Master Dant;)

2. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Cool. :) A place where we can discuss both the EU and Han and Leia...

Let me just start off by saying that I'm a huge, huge, huge, Han and Leia fan, for those of you who don't know me. Plus I read the EU, so it's nice to be able to talk about Han and Leia within the EU, their relationship, their family etc...

OK, on to the topic. My favorite EU novel... I have to say my favorite is The Courtship of Princess Leia. I know it seems to be either loved or hated on these boards. I liked it a lot. It isn't perfect by any means, but I enjoyed the time frame it takes place in. I loved the fact that Han, Leia and Luke are together on a mission. I like a lot of the Han and Leia moments towards the end of the book. Especially before he goes off to give himself up... I thought that was a very intense scene. I also thought that Han's love for Leia was well described in this book...

I also liked that this book had a lot of humor in it. And that it was actually *funny*. At least I thought so. :) "You're a good droid, Threepio. You're a good droid. There aren't many droids that I like as much as I like you." Or something like that... Han intoxicated in a cantina talking to Threepio.

3. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hey there, boushh2187!:) Glad you could stop in! "I've been waiting for you....." Oops.....lasping into that SW speak again....sorry:D

OK, COPL.....I have issues with it, but there were some sweet little moments between Han and Leia. I like the part where she kisses him and his molars hurt, but he just doesn't care:)

My fave EU novel: Children of the Jedi, by Barbara Hambly. Of all the novels, I think they are protrayed as most loving in that one. They seem to have an intimacy that one would expect at that point in their marriage. So many good moments, let's see...On Ithor, when they talk about the creators of the Death Star; on the porch; in the cantina....all such sweet moments:)

4. LadyFett

LadyFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2001
    Yay!! :) Wow, this thread is perfect! :)

Sounds like a Han and Leia Anonymous meeting...

Okay, yes, I am a Han and Leia fan...especially the "stop that" scene in Empire. I'm also a Harry and Carrie fan.

Hmm my favorite novel... it fluctuates, at the moment it's Tales of the Bounty Hunters because I'm on a Fett kick. He is handled so amazingly well in that short story that Fett is given enormous depth and mystery that just leaves you dying to know more.

But to be true to the thread, I'd say CoPL or HttE. Courtship was just so much fun, and had some *really* funny lines. It's not too heavy and you can read it over and over. Heir was great because it was the first book to continue the story, and goes into their marriage :)

CotJ had good Han/Leia moments. But oh God the Luke/Callista stuff was just...ugh!!! *shivers in disgust*

Ok enough ramblings...happy posting!

5. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Welcome Lady Fett!

I have to admit, I didn't mind the Luke/Callista stuff. The thing I did mind, was all the Gamorreans running around speaking basic. That was just a bit much. And I did find Callista going into Cray's body kind of creepy. But other than that, I didn't have a problem with it:)

Thanks for joining us!:D

6. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    HALA... Han and Leia Anonymous. Hee hee. :)

Yeah, Tales of the Bounty Hunters is really good... Though I have to say I've only completely read "The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett". I never got around to reading the other ones. But "Boba Fett's Tale" as I call it for short. ;) is such a great story, and Han and Leia are both in it A LOT! I have a feeling not many Han and Leia fans have read this book... I could be wrong, I don't know. I'm afraid to talk too much about it, because it's soooo good that I don't want to spoil any of the Han and/or Leia moments in it.

Anyway, it is a definite must for any Han and Leia fan I think.

As for CoTJ I've only skimmed the Han and Leia parts. I remember those were realy good... :) I should really read that book one of these days. :)

7. LadyFett

Feb 23, 2001
    Come on, the woman was a computer program!!! :p

Boushh...it's not called "Boba Fett's Tale" it's not Chaucer ;) "The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett"...okay so I should just shut up....now....close enough.

:)))))

- Boushh's MOH and gamma-reader

8. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hmmmmmmm...........it looks as if I must be running to the bookstore for a copy of Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

As soon as it stops snowing, that is ::shivers::

9. LadyFett

Feb 23, 2001
    okay, I'm stumped...how *does* one make the really big toothy grin?

10. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Lady Fett: a colon, then a capitol D.....= toothy grin:D

and.....she was a ghost, not a computer program:)

11. LadyFett

Feb 23, 2001
    Thanks!! :D :D :D :D

Computer program. ;) I won't even go into the whole comet-resort...

12. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    ::scratches head in befuddlement:: HUH??

Don't get me wrong here, Lady Fett, this is not a topic I feel strongly about or anything:) Now, if it were Han and Leia....;)

At any rate, I'm just goofing;)

boushh2187: Guess who's like a chile?

13. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    DantSolo: Oh I know who's like a chile... :) Hee hee. :)

Inside joke guys... sorry. :)

14. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Hi there everyone :) I'm not an EU fan but don't worry, I won't bash it in here. Great club everyone :) There needs to be more Han/Leia threads around.

My favorite moments in the EU with Han and Leia would be the scene where Leia and Han are talking over the floating candles about Alderaan. My second favorite is in POT where they're reunited. Next is the New Rebellion where they say good-bye before Han leaves on his mission. I also like the part in the CT where Han says "being married is seriously underrated" or something like that :D All great moments, there just need to be *more* of them :D

15. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hi Sweetheart!:) Thanks for dropping by:) Considering that you're not an EU fan, it was nice of you to share your favorite EU moments with us:) I have to agree that all the ones you mentioned were great, and that, yes, more of them would be just about the best thing in the world!

16. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Hi there sweetheart. It was good of you to join us. :)

You did list some really good moments. :)

The beginning of the Corellian Trilogy does have some great moments. I'm thinking of one in particular but I'll post it when I can actually quote from the book.

But right now I'm heading off to sleep. Hope this thread catches on. It would be a fun ride. :)

17. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Thank you for this thread. What a great ideal. I love Han and Leia and I love to read SW novels. I love to read period.

I really like the Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin. I'm a little behind in the rest of my reading. So many books, so little time.

I just starting reading the x-wing series and still need to read all of the 'tales of' books. Thanks for the tip about the Tales of the Bounty Hunter, it looks like I got something to look forward to.

18. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Welcome, Ginger!! Nice to see you!:D

I loved the HST also! I thought that Crispin did a phenomonal job of incorporating all the small glimspes into Han's past from the other novels. I kept waiting for some sort of continuity glitch, but there weren't any. I remember thinking "Now how is she going to work in Thrakan Sal-Solo?" and "I bet she won't include General Bel Iblis seeing Han in school, how could she work that in?" But she managed to do it, and do it well:)

Anyway, again, it's great to see a new face here, Ginger!:D

19. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Agreed about the HST you guys. :) That was the really great thing about that trilogy... Working in cameos by all sorts of people, and doing it extremely well! I didn't love *everything* about that trilogy but I haven't loved *everything* about any of the novels. :) No one can be perfect.

Wanna know something weird about the HST? You know the part where Vima tells Han's fortune. "Much will you do for money, but much more will you do for love." Or something like that. The audio book has a different version of this scene. It pretty much mentions Leia, though not by name. And in the background they have H/L's theme playing... I'll post the exact text if anyone is interested...

20. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    Whoo-hoo!

Just checking in... great thread!! Nice to see so many fellow H/L fans.

Gotta run -- I'll be back soon! :)

EDIT -- Just read your last post, Boushh. I didn't realize there was a different version of the scene -- I'd love to read the text! :)

21. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hey set271, so glad you could come by!!:D

22. Tigerwallah

Tigerwallah Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2001
    I just want to say that this is an awesome thread. I got tired of listening to all of te E.U. bashing. Without the EU, Han and Leia would never have gotten married, had children, etc. There would be no more!!!! Yeesh :p.

I liked Truce at Bakura the best. It just seemed so much in keeping with the trilogy. As for Courtship, there were a lot of parts that reminded me of Ewoks, too cute for SW!!!I agree with Boushh, though, it was very nice to get to see so much of Han and Leia.
    I also have to admit, I really like Isolder. Han is Leia's. So, it was nice to have a guy I didn't have to feel guilty about fantasizing about.

23. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hey, tigerwallah:) Glad you like my little thead here, and I know just what you mean. Yes, TAB was a great novel. Han and Leia had a lot of sweet moments there...after she saw Anakin's ghost (the 1 thing I didn't like), when he rescues her, when they're going to ram the ship......and yes, we need *more* of those moments:(

Hope to see you again, tigerwallah:)

24. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Tigerwallah: That's too funny about Isolder. :) I liked him when he got together with Teneniel and was pretty much out of Han's way. While he was around Leia I just wanted to beat the stuffing out of him! :)

DantSolo: TAB... I liked the Anakin's ghost thing. :) What I really liked was what Han tells her afterwards. :)

set271: Nice to see you here. :) I'll post the text from the two version of the fortune telling scene in The Hutt Gambit.

Here is the one from the novel...
    This is Vima speaking...

"Ah, young captain..." she half crooned, prying open his fist and staring at his palm, then up at his face. "So young... so much lies before you. A long road, first the smuggler's road, then the way of the warrior. Glory you will have, yesssss. But first you must face terrible dangers. Betrayal, yessss.. betrayal from those you trust. Betrayal..." Her eyes fixed for a second on Mako, and the older man and Han exchanged exasperated glances.

"So I'm gonna be betrayed," Han said impatiently. "Will I get rich?" Thass all I care about."

"Ahhhhh..."she cackled shrilly. "My young captian, yessss... wealth will come to you, but only after you no longer care about it."

Han burst out laughing. "That'll be the day! Grandma, gettin' rich is ALL I care about!"

"Yessss, that is true. Much will you do for money. But more will you do for love."

"Great," Han snarled, trying again to yank free. "Thass it. I've had 'nuff of his garbage,"

Then he gets free and can't wait to sleep. He forgots about the fortelling by morning...

Now from the audio book:

"Ah, young captain..." she crooned, "So much lies before you. A long road, first the smuggler road, then the way of the warrior. Glory you will have, yesssss. But first you must face a terrible danger. Betrayal, yessss.. betrayal from those you trust." Her eyes fixed for a second on Mako, and the older man and Han exchanged exasperated glances.

"Ahhhhh..."she cackled shrilly. "My young captian, yessss... wealth will come to you, but only after you no longer care about it."

Han burst out laughing. "That'll be the day! Grandma, gettin' rich is ALL I care about!"

"Yessss, that is true. Much will you do for money. But more will you do for love. Brave leader of many you will be. But beware the long, cold darkness like death. Only love shall free you to achieve the greatest glory. I see a dark eyed woman, beautiful of noble blood. She shall be yours! "

"Thass it. I've had 'nuff of his garbage,"

That's it. :) I wonder if this was originally in the book and then cut out, or if it was added to the audio book for some reason. Perhaps they felt it wasn't as clear of a foretelling in the novel and thought they needed to make it more obvious that it was Leia she was talking about at the end? It's odd either way... Usually they cut out stuff in the audio adaptations not add more in! :)

25. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    boushh2187: I liked what happened between Han and Leia after Anakin's ghost came.....it was the dialogue between Leia and Anakin that bothered me. It seemed kind of forced and corny. But I did love Han's rection to it.

Hmmmm.......The HST audio tape change: I think it was fairly clear that she was talking about Leia. Not sure why they put that in, but.......::shrugs::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.