main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han in Carbonite progress thread

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Scooter42, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Scooter42

Scooter42 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Hi there! Dan and Mary checking in from over the border.

Han in Carbonite is underway! The panels have been cleaned up, all greeblies (yes, evidently that IS a word in the HiC world) are here and the main box has been framed up. Mary has started work on the face and hands of our favourite Corellian, and Dan's work on the box is looking pretty sharp.

Photos to come (soon as I figure out how to insert them. Anyone? :) )

2. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    First Images:
    [​IMG]

light panels laying across Han.

[​IMG]

Filling in Han from reverse side to give him durability.

[​IMG]

Frame 1

[​IMG]

Frame 2

[​IMG]

Frame 3 upright, braced.

[​IMG]

Preparing to mold extra copies of light panels in case of breakage.

[​IMG]

Sanding led control panels.

[​IMG]

Molding panels. Note Ventress bald cap on left.

[​IMG]

Pretty self explanatory.

More pics coming soon.

TFS, quigonschuel and 72Princess1 like this.
  3. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Progress continues! He had no real fingers or face, being vacuform. I've been working on that. Dan has been working on panels, attaching greeblies. Updates will be on weekends,
    most likely.

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After. Eyes, nose, mouth and hair. Needs further carving and sanding, but it's getting there!

-[​IMG]
    Vacuform left some webbing.

[​IMG]
    Cut and filled, ready to carve.

[​IMG]
    Greeblies and a map. It's a puzzle!! Particularly since there are a few different layouts that can be considered accurate.

4. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Thanks to Videoprince for giving me the process to upload photos! [face_dancing]

72Princess1 likes this.
  5. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Looks good!

72Princess1 likes this.
  6. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    Looks great!! Thank you so much!!

7. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    This looks FANTASTIC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Another busy Saturday - accomplished a lot. Face for Han completed, hands still need some work. Frame and backing for the box re-enforced! Got the panels prepped and first coats of paint on, and one set of electronics installed.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More tomorrow!

quigonschuel likes this.
  9. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    Looks great!!

quigonschuel likes this.
  10. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    No photos - I forgot to charge the camera! (It's an old waterproof Kodak that we keep in the basement - paint/dust/other junk won't affect it much).

Box is nearing completion, seams being filled and sanded, internal bracing almost completed. Side panels are proceeding - finicky work, and tricky since no two sets of panels seem to be the same, in Empire or Jedi, or in references! We may end up changing the paint scheme a bit. Research continues!

BigDanLevitan and quigonschuel like this.
  11. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Camera charged. The first round of big flashy progress is done - we're working on the smaller bits requiring more detail. One of the first things we realized when we were planning the build, was that the end prop needed to be very durable. Most HiC builders on line build one for their own use, and it goes on the wall and stays there. We were building for repeat use, and storage in facilities that might or might not be temperature controlled. We realized, too, that the outriggers - the panels - would be the most vulnerable part of the prop apart from the face, fingers and toes.

We came to the conclusion the panels needed to be removable. But how can we remove and mount reliably, over and over? Velcro was one choice, but tests proved that no matter the glue used the stuff would pull away eventually.

Lee Valley is a candy store for makers, woodworkers, gardeners and renovators. They carry the most interesting stuff! We decided to try rare earth magnets.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Rare earth magnets are very small but very powerful. Four of them were mounted per panel. An additional security feature was drilling holes and obtaining longer screws so the vertical motion is limited. Finally, a backing on the panels make them fit snugly into their recessed sections, and steel washers on the panels line up with the magnets. They seat with a click and take a firm pull to remove. Inside, there's a power cable accessible for the hero panel to be plugged into. We're still working on battery powering the lights on this, but in case it wasn't possible, or if it would be on display for a long time, it is AC powered.[​IMG]

TFS and quigonschuel like this.
  13. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Well, darn! photos didn't load, let's try this again.
    [​IMG]

Magnets and alignment holes, still to be sanded and painted.

[​IMG]

Fits neatly, hm? :)

[​IMG]

Working on detailing.

Eight panels is a LOT of details!

BPStoyle and quigonschuel like this.
  14. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Its looking great!!!!

15. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Had friends surprise us on Saturday - yay friends! Still got the frame done, and it's cat approved...
    [​IMG]

The front is in good shape now, just finishing filling. We used a router to round the edges

[​IMG]

And finalized the electronics on the Hero panel. Will try to upload video so you can see it doing the blinky thing! It looks so cool. Tinypic can't take the video, though, so I have to find another site. Suggestions?

16. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I loaded my Jabba videos onto my YouTube account and copied the link and pasted it in. It works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Ah! Ok, now I just need to set up a Youtube video account. :) Thanks for that.

18. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Youtube video uploaded - Hero panel sequences.

19. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    THAT's AWESOME!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    We added a back plate so everything is protected and kept neat. We'll need to remember to take it off when we cross the border... :) it will screw on and be removable.[​IMG]

Finalizing the face. We've trimmed the excess so he'll fit. He has a frown wrinkle that's very noticeable - I'm getting ready to add that here. Apoxie Sculpt is one of my favourite materials - it's a two part epoxy, very fine grain, that can be sculpted then carved and sanded.
    [​IMG]

OMG - it's.... gone?

[​IMG]

Nope - it's moved from the basement to the garage!!! For me, this means spring has arrived... :) We're starting to paint the box. When we were researching, we found folks that did silver all over, or grey and silver, or gunmetal, or... you choose. We went back to screenshots of Empire, from the un-re-mastered version, and decided on this rich grey. Once it's done and Han's on the front (who will start life silver) I'm bringing up my airbrush and plan to - to paraphrase Matt Damon - "art the heck out of this".

[​IMG]

Rock Nightshifter and TFS like this.
  21. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Next steps. Now the box is painted, Han has to be placed...

[​IMG]

and screwed and nailed down. Then the "carbonite"

[​IMG]

This will be a multi-step process.

Meantime, Danny is working on the base - assembly!

[​IMG]

And ready for sanding and painting!

[​IMG]

Next weekend we're out of town, but should be back in time for the final Carbonite texturing to be done by Sunday evening. Then the painting!!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!

22. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    Thank you for all the work you have done!! This is truly amazing work.

Kate Knadle and quigonschuel like this.
  23. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Panels have been sealed and sprayed with clear lacquer. Base is painted. Surface texturing is almost complete.

I didn't charge the camera, but I have it in the dock now. Hope to have photos early this week. Heads up, though - I won't show all the painting...want to have something for the grand reveal!!! :)

24. Scooter42

Sep 15, 2004
    Last update - because it's finished! But I'm not posting everything...we need to keep a few small secrets till the big moment.

We took advantage of the weather to seal the panels. They're looking pretty cool!

[​IMG]

I know this isn't oriented right, but from Han's POV he's fine... Applying the texturing mix for the Carbonite.

[​IMG]

Some work on the base underway. Flanges are attached to the wood

[​IMG]

and the mechanics are sound!!!

A tiny sneak peak - no detailing or drybrushing done on this yet, just a straight spray of antique nickle. Wait till you see the finished item!

[​IMG]

25. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    Wow. Just.... wow. =D=

quigonschuel likes this.