main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Han Solo #1-5 (5/5 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Mar 4, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

2. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Love it. Marvel is doing great things in the SW comics.

Darth_Pevra and IG_2000 like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Those pages are gorgeous...

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Is Han's jacket meant to resemble the one from TFA so Leia can get confused over it's resemblance ;)

Leia: Same Jacket
    Han: No it just looks like the one I wore during my miniseries over 30 years ago

6. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Hey I'm just glad he's not wearing his ANH clothes.

Kylun, spicer, Toonimator and 2 others like this.
  7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, those pages just bumped this from maybe buy to definitely buy for me. Seeing the Falcon in action like that, wow.

8. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    One thing I find really interesting in the Marvel STAR WARS comics is that they seem to be treating Leia as a super hero with regards to clothes. They have pretty much designed an outfit and that outfit pops up everywhere.

9. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    There are a few... it's just that most of them tend to be "all-white" with some silver/gray touches, and at least a couple are pretty similar. The one in the pages for Han #1 is different, and in at least part of Vader Down (still haven't nabbed all of that) she's not wearing any white at all!

Mixing it up is nice. While I wasn't a huge fan of the art in the Dark Horse EMPIRE arc where Luke was on Jabiim, I enjoyed that he was in his Yavin outfit but traded his bright yellow jacket for a light brownish/orange one. I even made a crappy custom action figure of him in that suit ages ago, with a Luke head swapped onto a POTJ Bespin Han figure, repainting the shirt, jacket, and sleeves. Sure, he was a little tall for a Luke, but it did the job! :D The Leia in that arc was in a skin-tight purple jumpsuit with a weird turtleneck thing and a short brown jacket...not a great look for her... but it'd be nice if the Marvel artists (and/or editors, wherever this 'all white 90% of the time' directive might be coming from) would mix it up a bit more, and remember that even in the films she only wore white for ANH & a chunk of ESB.

Loving the look of the preview pages!

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    This looks good. I like Mark Brook's art, quite detailed, he's clearly done his homework. Should be a good book when finished.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    1 of 5

Whole issue is beautifully drawn and the story is engaging. I'm definitely looking forward to the next issue.

Adame and Selentia want to borrow Han's ship. Do they know why they need it? Were they to be the pilots? Leia said only her and General Airen Cracken know about the plan, so I wonder how much Adame and Selentia know and if we'll see them again before the end.

Han and Leia acted just like they would in the movies, so this was very well written. I loved every interaction together. I especially enjoyed when Leia and the General talked about Han right in front of him and Han's interjections.

What's a Freen Fleecer?

So we got the "Twi'lek Twins" and "Blue Bail Organa" and Loo Re Anno who seem to be our players in the "game" (aka race). I really liked Loo Re Anno's design and general attitude.

**** hits the fan at the end of the issue. I look forward to see where it goes from there and who are three mystery spies are that Han will be picking up.

I hope the General isn't the mole.

12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Apparently this story is star wars meets cannonball run then if that's the case
    Han will probably sacrifice a chance to win the race in the last issue and the two sexy twi leks will win it

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Liked all those new characters, fresh faces that could enrichen future canon. Also, classic Han/Leia-bickering is always good. Off to a pretty good start. :)

14. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Did this get released already and I missed it?

15. KDavies

KDavies Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2014
    I am honestly gobsmacked by how good this is; the art. The story. The characters.

It's obvious Liu is taking advantage of the fact that this is a big, open galaxy. We got to see new faces in the cantina, Craiken with the Rebellion, and the race was chock full of aliens and interesting racers. Definitely has me pumped! The Han/Leia bickering was enough to get me hitched, but the racing party was icing on the cake. So many pretty costumes and designs.

16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006

I doubt the General is the mole, as it's canon that he's the older guy in the Falcon behind Lando... so unless he's a changeling imposter in the comic, Cracken's okay. Adame & Selentia might be safe, too--or one, at least. I think the idea was that they'd borrow Han's ship, rendezvous with the fleet, and then be briefed on the mission. The way I read it, they're "outsiders" like Han, only without the dubious loyalties he's been displaying... they would've been the pilots as they're not regular operatives hanging out with the fleet all the time. But with a mole discussed in the first issue, you'd think the mole might be among those we've seen in said issue, to be revealed later... I don't suppose they were talking in a corridor with special trees, were they? [face_laugh] Aside from Adame & Selentia watching Han in the very first panel, I didn't really see any suspicious-looking possibilities... seemed like only hangar crew were in the Alliance scenes aside from Leia, Cracken, and Han alone in the secluded corridor. Maybe one of those companion cube" crates is really a droid spy!

Then the question is, will they recognize that he gave up his shot at winning, or will they be oblivious and run the win in the face of the mere "smuggler"?

I enjoyed the issue a lot! Looked great, the Han & Leia interactions struck the right tone... great start to the mini! I was mistaken about the order of events and all, thinking the early unlettered pages were consecutive & represented the beginning (or a flashback) to Han striking out on his own before being contacted by the operatives at the bar. So the "Mynock" ship isn't part of the Alliance fleet after all, but one of the racers!

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Loo Re Anno's design is beautiful! Everything is beautiful. The costumes, the coloring, everything. I had to reread the issue to follow the story more closely because I spent my first time through lingering on the art details.

Happy to see so many alien designs, both old and new. I like the mermaid fin-style ears on Selentia. :) (Or is she Adame?) And the lavender-skinned Twi'lek! So pretty.

Poor Han getting sucker punched! I realize the purpose, but still! Marvel hasn't been going easy on him in the main line, and it looks like they won't be here, either!

SilentGuy66 and KDavies like this.
  18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Very fun issue and it goes along with what they had going in the Star Wars Annual issue. Wonder if it was done on purpose to have a character that looks just like Thrawn and Hera all in the same scene?

So I am guessing timeline wise in what is becoming a very crowded post ANH period this is supposed to take place right after Heir to the Jedi?

19. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I really enjoyed this issue and it reminded me of the fun of the original Marvel series. I agree the artwork is great and rich.

Toonimator likes this.
  20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    http://www.starwars.com/news/writer...-solo-comic?cmp=smc|494922451&linkId=25583928

StarWars.com: I think he’s definitely had experiences the others can’t touch.

Marjorie Liu: Yeah. Luke has spent his whole life on the planet and I think Leia had a really interesting life. But I felt Han was someone who, from a young age, had been surviving. He’s been out in the world, out in the universe doing stuff. So all of this, the unspoken, hidden history of Han Solo prior to Star Wars really fascinated me and that wasn’t something I could touch. But I thought, “Who is this guy after Star Wars?” He’s lived this life in which he was responsible really only for himself and Chewie, he’s been the smuggler. It’s clear he’s lived a hard, scrappy life. This is a guy who works for a living. He doesn’t pay attention to politics. He minds his own business. He’s focused on the job at hand. I thought, well, he didn’t ask for this. He didn’t ask to be drawn into the Rebellion; he thought he was just taking a job and paying off some debts and then suddenly he finds himself in the middle of an intergalactic war.
    By the end of the film, when you see that big fat smile on his face, when he got that medal, you realize he enjoyed this. He could have just kept on flying, but he came back and there’s a part of him that was changed by the events whether he liked it or not. For me, the story of what happens between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back is one of internal conflict where he discovered a part of himself that he didn’t know was there. He doesn’t really want to accept that, he’s not sure if he even really likes it. He did this brave thing, but now he kind of just feels like he should get back to the way things were.
    Han gets that itch, and so at the beginning of issue #1, he’s trying to take on jobs and each one he turns down because it doesn’t feel right. People begin to question his ability to actually smuggle anymore and his resolve. It seems like he got cold feet, but what it really is, is that he’s not really sure if it’s the life he wants anymore but he can’t quite admit it to himself.

JediBatman and Toonimator like this.
  21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Not really "just like Thrawn"... the guy's likely a Pantoran, given the markings on his face, and I doubt Thrawn would ever consider sporting a little beard like that. :p Having a green Twi'lek in the same scene isn't anything to do with Hera/Rebels tho, I'm sure. Sometimes a green Twi'lek is just a green Twi'lek. It'd be fun if they'd maybe heard of Hera and reference it at some point, without giving anything away about her post-Rebels fate or whereabouts, but then I'm not sure Hera would have a rep with racers. Kanan recognized her skills via observation in A New Dawn, but I doubt she's "known" outside of a small number of rebels.

Good question on the timeline, tho... that first year after ANH is getting pretty crowded. As much as I'd love a Luke mini (and I have little doubt we'll see one now that Leia, Lando, Chewie, and Han have theirs), I hope they set it much closer to ESB (Rogue Squadron!) and then as the main series & novels eventually approach that time period they just work around it, or set it post-ESB--maybe give us some of that Lor San Tekka/Luke interaction that's been teased!

22. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    CRACKEN'S BACK!!!

...I mean, I know he was in Moving Target, but this is huge! They use his first name and everything!

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Scapro Tyler likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This may be my favorite among all the comics so far.

The artwork is fantastic, some of the best I've seen.

I like the opening with Han being a little more cautious and that caution having consequences with him losing money, but also enough to make him suspicious of seeing the same face on more than one planet.

And Leia and Co. wanting to borrow his ship but not necessarily him...LMAO. Not sure what reaction they thought they would get to that one.

The race scenario looks like a good set-up to Han eventually sponsoring races.

Of course Han shoots off at the mouth at the party and gets himself in a bit of trouble. Typical.

I'm really, really curious about who the mole is now.

25. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

Han never learns does he? [face_tee_hee]