main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley? Or The Han Solo Trilogy By A.C. Crispin?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kameron b, Sep 11, 2012.

1. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    Hello Everyone. I was just wondering which book I should read about everyone's favorite smuggler. I love the radio dramas written by Brian Daley, however I have read some mixed reviews about his Han Solo Adventures. Then there is The Han Solo Trilogy, I have read some good reviews and some bad. So.... I would wish to get some opinions about which one is better and why. Then I will make my decision based on your insight. I thought that other fans, like myself could help me.

Thanks, Kameron

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Just read both :)

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    They're both good. The HST gives much more background information and character development for Han, but the HSA are classic Star Wars at its best. The third book of the Han Solo Trilogy specifically marks the points at which the Han Solo Adventures books take place, so if you read them both the three italicized interlude sections in Rebel Dawn are meant to serve as epilogues to each of the HSA books.

4. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    sweet so if they are both good I'll read both. Thanks Guys.

5. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    ...and now I need to track down copies of the Han Solo trilogy (again) so I can do that.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually, Ann Crispin took special care to "incorporate" Daley's stories into her own. If you want one of the most interesting experiences Star Wars can give you, read the first two Han Solo trilogy books, then begin the third. Once Han takes off for the Corporate Sector, begin reading the first Daley book. After that, read the next chapter, and there is an interlude, giving a brief story of what Han does after the first adventure. Then read the second Daley book. Read the next HST chapter. Do it one final time, then finish Rebel Dawn.

Very fun.

Iron_lord, Gorefiend and vadimk like this.
  7. vadimk

vadimk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2009
    Exactly as I read it. Both trilogies are awesome and this is probably the best reading order.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Mixed reviews about the Daley HSA? You mean people can't decide if they are great or awesome, right?

Sarge, Darth McClain, RC-1991 and 3 others like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Daley books are a bit dated and don't mesh with a lot of the current EU, but they're still great reads, especially if you're into the pulp that inspired SW and was what it was originally all about.

Sarge and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    To be quite honest, I was amazed at how well the Han Solo Adventures fit in, considering their age. Hell, Han even referenced "shooting first" nearly two decades in advance :p

Sarge likes this.
  11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Don't mesh with the current EU? How/where?

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I think he means in the style, I suppose, and the fact that we see so many exotic aliens that are never seen elsewhere. Personally, I consider those good things.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pretty much what instantdeath said. It's been a while since I read them, so I can't think of any specifics. They was also very atypical in that they never featured the Empire. Still, a good thing in my opinion. And Bollux and Blue Max are just awesome characters.

Sarge and Rew like this.
  14. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    well there were alot of people saying that they didn't make sense but you have to remember that these stories were written in 1979 so the trilogy was not fleshed out yet. :)

15. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I will do that thank you. :)

WynnDorvan likes this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I read the Han Solo Trilogy back during my journey through the Bantam era via the library, but, sadly, I have never read The Han Solo Adventures. I definitely plan on getting both at some point.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They actually even explain that in the book itself :) 2 are set in the Corporate Sector which is a vassal realm of the Empire and the third is in the Tion, which has many worlds the Empire can’t be bothered to governor directly.

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I read Brian Daley's trilogy for the first time in 2008 (nearly 3 decades after its publication), and I thought it was brilliant. To this day, I consider that trilogy easily in my top 10 favorite EU works, possibly top 5--and I've read almost about all 100+ Star Wars novels too.

AC Crispin's trilogy is fairly good too, but it's nowhere near the quality of Daley's masterpiece, IMO.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    Both are great, but the Daley Adventures are just amazing. They will always be among my favourite SW novels. They were written in a more civilised age and Daley truly managed to capture the style that fitted with SW / Solo. Wonderful books that aren't about 10 Death Stars being destroyed or about 150 alien species that invade the galaxy. The Daley books are just great adventures without considering themselves to be the most important events in the SW galaxy.

Sarge and KamSolusar like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree with Todd, the Daley trilogy is great Golden Age-type pulp scifi, which just happen to feature Han Solo and Chewbacca. They actually remind me a lot of Leigh Brackett's sci-fi novels from before she worked on ESB.

Sarge and WynnDorvan like this.
  21. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I read the first chapter as a sample on Itunes just to get into it. and I agree with you, it is great! :)

Sarge likes this.
  22. WynnDorvan

WynnDorvan Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2012
    I agree with those who have said both. Ann Crispin was kind enough to literally write her books around the original Han Solo Adventures, so it makes sense to read them during the interlude she left in Rebel Dawn.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Daley's amazing books, or the terrorists have won.

Sarge and Rew like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Without getting overly political about the situation, Rew is functionally correct. While I was never bothered by the implications (canon or fandom) inherent in the Crispin Han Solo Trilogy, it's simply not at the level of Daley's Han Solo Adventures. Like an order of magnitude down.

However, if you're looking for a more "comprehensive Han" -- read both, then read Marvel #100. One of the most important people in Han's early life is only really there and not in any of the novels, which isn't Daley's fault (as Bey was created five years after his novel and covered in a timeperiod somewhat prior to the HSA).

JoinTheSchwarz and Rew like this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The fact that the Han Solo Adventures don't "mesh" with the EU as a whole is a knock against the EU as a whole, not against the HSA. I only wish the rest of the EU was as awesome as Daley's books.