main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han Solo. How good of a Pilot is he really?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by cka3ka, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cka3ka

cka3ka Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    Amazingly i couldn't find a discussion group for Han Solo, but I guess somehow Anakin has displaced Han as the heart throb for the masses.

Anyway, my question is, how good is Han as a Pilot? We all know he is good from watching the movies but how good is he compared to Luke? And more interestingly Wedge? The other rogues?

I tend to think he is VERY good, even on par with Wedge mainly because he's flying around a big fat freighter and still pulling these amazing maneuvers, like flying through an asteroid field at 3721 to 1 odds. Also landing on a star destroyers bridge. That was smooth.

It's also stated in the EU that he loved the nimble tie fighters... so if Han could outfly ties and such in his YT freighter... he could certainly outfly just about anyone in a more maneuverable vessel.

Also, I believe he graduated second in his class from the imperial academy... and that second was to a Soontir Fel and apparently under shady circumstances. Not sure on the validity of this, it would be nice if someone could verify or disprove.

I'm just curious on what others think on this.

2. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I thought he graduated first, and Fel second? :confused: If that's the way it was, then he definitely was an amazing pilot. :cool:

Plus, you could take into account the fact that Luke flies with the Force. He's got great natural ability, I think, but being able to use the Force to boost his reaction times and such gives him an extra edge. Take that away, pit him against Han, and that would be a very interesting flight. [face_mischief]

I think that while Han is recognised throughout the galaxy (the parts that have heard of him, anyway) as a superb freighter pilot, he's even more well-known for his improv skills when it comes to flying his way out of a tight situation. Like you said, hurtling into an asteroid field, landing on a Star Destroyer's bridge - they don't teach those things at the Imperial Academy. :p

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Han Solo. How good of a Pilot is he really?

So good, he even amazes himself sometimes.

4. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    This is personal opinion, but it's kind of corroborated by a short discussion in one of the X-wing books (I think it's Wraith Squadron, but I'm not sure):

Wedge is the best pilot in the entire NR fleet. I don't think it's even possible to measure the raw skill (i.e., reaction time, coordination, etc.) of different pilots and compare them, but it is possible to consider factors like longevity, leadership ability, etc.

But if we go that route, we still run into the snag that Wedge and Han fly two different types of craft, and were in different situations all along.

Then there's the consideration that some pilots may be really good with some craft and not so good with others. Like Wedge is unparalelled in an X-wing, but Tycho can outfly him in a TIE Fighter. And Han in the Milennium Falcon is insanely good, but who's to say in the cockpit of an A-wing he would have the same dominance?

Basically, what I'm saying is that if I could make up a squadron of various fighters and ships and send them at an enemy, I would have Wedge and Tycho and Luke and Fel and Han and Pash et cetera. And they'd be in X-wings, A-wings, TIE Defenders, and the Millennium Falcon. Hell, I'd even throw in a B-wing for good measure :)

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I agree with JadeSolo; I thought that Han finished first and Fel second :confused:

In any case, I think measurement of how good a pilot is is a very difficult thing. Every battle is a different situation, and many pilots use different types of ships, with different maneuverability.

Still, Han is definitely capable of getting through some very tight spots and out of very sticky situations...and he doesn't need the Force to do it.

Just as an aside, even though there isn't a specific thread dedicated to discussion of Han Solo, there is the Bespin Cafe in which discussion of Han and/or Leia (or both) is definitely welcomed.

6. cka3ka

Apr 9, 2003
    In response to Wedge being the best pilot. I'm couldn't agree with that 100% mainly since Wedge and Fel never had the final duke out... While Han doesn't have as many "kills" as Wedge, he certainly has a very high kill ratio for all the fights he's been in. Plus he hasn't flown as many missions...

Also, I'm not sure that the different kinds of vessels really matter all that much. A tie fighter and an X-wing are not Apples and Oranges... more like Roman apples vs Washington Apples. I know with propeller planes, a p-51 and a p-47, that the basic mechanics are the same. The difference really is in the feel and handle of the plane and its different abilities... It's kind of like driving a car. An SUV handles differently from a sports car, but a good driver is still a good driver... :).

Of course let me be the first to admit that I've never put a plane into a roll or a crazy dive...

CK

7. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Ahhh...then you've never seen me stall my husband's stick shift... :p

8. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    I've always gotten the idea that Han is probably the best pilot in the skies...um, stars..galaxy..yeah that's the right term once Vader is gone. He's got age and experience to back him up, he knows Imperial flying manuvers due to being an imperial for a little while at least, he knows Alliance/New Republic manuvers (probably helped develop some of them), and he knows more of the independent/underworld style manuvers.

As far as the mechanics go he's got the best experience of any of the featured pilots (that I've read at least), and he's fantastic at thinking outside the box to pull himself and his crew or cargo out of some tough scrapes.

But Luke and Wedge can sure give him a run for his money! ;)

9. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I would think Han would be in the top five in the galaxy, easily. (being a Han fan and all...)

And in one of Brian Daley's books, he flew a small, single man craft (which I can't think of the name of) and was a fantastic pilot in that ship. If I recall, he saved Jessa's life by flipping her own craft back upright so she could eject safely by using his own ship's wing, then going into a barrel roll so he wouldn't crash, either. And this was a few seconds before her ship hit the ground. So yes, Han can fly a small ship just fine. ;)

10. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Ahhh...then you've never seen me stall my husband's stick shift...

Let's keep the discussion clean, guys... this means you, LadyPadme! [face_shame_on_you]

11. cka3ka

Apr 9, 2003
    What a naughty mind you have yodaken...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.