main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Han Solo in Episode 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by GoJohnnyGo, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Ben/Kylo thought Han was foolish and weak and disappointing. Han thought he was unreachable and had too much Vader in him.

But this was TFA.

I think they were a 100% ok son&father in the beginning -until Snoke entered the picture. And even after that I think they were ok, although they grew increasingly apart. Ben would have compartimentalized his new 'force' aspect -perhaps awakened by Snoke- which neither Han nor Leia could address to his satisfaction. He needed a teacher. Later, he would have a gang (the KOR) as some kind or shadowy family of sorts (in fact a counterfamily, something that Snoke probably liked)

Han's 'too much Vader in him' seems to refer to teenage Ben. Han recognized Ben in Takodana -he knew who was under that mask, although 'Kylo Ren' did not exist when they sent him to Luke. Both Han and Luke call him boy (the novelization of the TLJ hut scene describes 23-24yo Ben as 'not a boy but not yet a man', or something like that)

In the TLJ novelization, Ben recalls his parents talking about his teenage self as if he was a 'monster'. This is after the 'too much Vader in him' event, I guess. Since Ben/Kylo freely admits to be a monster in TLJ, but denies being one back then, maybe Han (and Leia) were wrong and didnt understood their son.

So, 'too much Vader in him'. What was it?

Something happened, I think, and Han was there. I think father and son crossed paths, Ben with his gang and Han with the Falcon.

Nothing so spectacular or irreversible as the destruction of Luke's temple and the birth of Kylo Ren, 6-7 years later, but some kind of monster-like behaviour on Ben's part -a tragic mistake, something involuntary, an impossible choice, whatever. And someone was killed as a result (I think thats what Luke saw inside Ben's head in TLJ, that woman screaming)

Leia decided then to sent Ben away. But, in spite of his son's Vaderish behaviour, Han 'was Han about it'. He didnt like the idea, it seems, and was probably right -Leia thought in TFA that it had been a mistake on her part. Also:

Maybe this was part of 'weak' and 'disappointing'; maybe Ben thought Han saw him more clearly than Leia, because they were similar -and he thought Han had not rise his voice enough back then.

He was sent away and thats when, according to TFA Leia, she lost both Han and Ben.

Han asked Leia in TFA: 'if Luke could not reach him, how could I?' and in the TLJ novelization theres some mention to the fact that Luke had also been unable to 'reach' him, that same word.

From that 'too much Vader in him' event on, there was always something 'unreachable' in Ben: somehow related to Rey -and to the MF, I think. Something unspeakable. The closest we've had is the 'profound tragedy' mentioned in the TFA visual dictionary and the 'pain' Ben/Kylo talks about on the bridge.

The arc of Han&Ben's relationship seems to have been that of the son ending up as a loved but closed book to the father, and the father being a loved but closed chapter to the son -and yet, the bond remained and still remains...and Rey (and the Falcon) have already appeared -simultaneously.

So, I guess Han and Ben loved each other and were a normal and loving father&son couple, except for bad luck, bad choices, misunderstanding, mistaken maternal interference, dark side brainwashing and patricide.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    https://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In a shocking twist, Kanjiklub snagged Han's body and they can rebuild him. They have the technology.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    10% chance Han shows up as a Force ghost cuz %#$@$ it

5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think the rumor that's gone around is more accurate: Kylo has some type of Force vision that includes a short dialog from his dead father. Not a Force ghost or Han communicating to Kylo from beyond the grave, but more of an inner monolog where Kylo's inner good feelings/memories are projected back to his conscious self through the image of his father while in a dreamlike state.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Then I hope Han hits him upside the head and tells Kylo he's going to hell for being a terrible son and a terrible human all around.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm sure that'll happen...

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    He'll probably call him a Moof Milker and then shoot first ;)

MrDarth0, Darth Smurf and PendragonM like this.
  9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Really liked the scene with Han and Ben.
    I'm glad Harrison Ford came back to do it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It gave a sense of closure, and I’m glad they didn’t change things for him to be a ghost. It worked out well.

whostheBossk, NileQT87 and Giovs like this.
  11. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    Yeah, I certainly enjoy the idea that Han's in Corellian hell somewhere while Luke and Leia are in Force Ghost Heaven. I hope they manage to remember the name of that guy who saved their lives and loved them for over thirty years once in awhile.

Starwarsisover likes this.
  12. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    He wouldn’t be in Hell, he just doesn’t exist. He’s a memory, as Ben says.

whostheBossk and darthfettus2015 like this.
  13. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    Oh, even better. What a lovely ending.

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Very glad Han Solo was in TROS and a very nice surprise and a great scene with Kylo Ren ,

I'm so pleased that all the OT big 3 were in TROS a very fitting send off to them all .

15. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    He’s not a Jedi - he’s like anyone else who dies without that training.

16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Best scene in the movie love love love

CleanCode likes this.
  17. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    If it’s a memory they should have made him appear younger tho? I’m sure it works fine in the movie anyway but it’s strange nontheless as a device in these films.

Harrison Ford probably knocks it out the park tho, I wouldn’t expect anything less. LEGEND.

18. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    What a lovely surprise this scene was! And come on, his "I know" was perfect. It was fan service and I'm completely HERE FOR THAT.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Beautiful scene, couldn't have asked for better.

20. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I didn't expect Han in this at all. It was the Yoda-in-TLJ moment. I love it as a way to illustrate what Luke told Leia, and I got choked up when it really started mirroring TFA. It's really clever, too, since Han is there as a memory.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  21. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They did it! they convinced good ol' Harrison for one more comeback. Loved every second of it!

Darth Dnej, Giovs and KyleKartan like this.
  22. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    THANK YOU!

23. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Saw it today a second time, this was my favorite scene in the movie.

24. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    While I hesitated when he first initially showed up, I think it was necessary to create a plausible redemption.
    Many fans won't forgive Ben after what he did, and it was important to remind us that Han loved his son, and still does in whatever form he exists in the force.

It is also stated that he is a memory, a reflection of Rens conscience. Which adds a powerful, emotional presence in the aftermath of Leia's passing.

Yanksfan and Giovs like this.
  25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Han's appearance was so unexpected, given Harrison's desire to walk away from Star Wars. It's one of the best scenes in the movie. The repeated lines from Han's death were particularly haunting.

whostheBossk, Grey Matter and Giovs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.