main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden flamegown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Meresamun, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meresamun

Meresamun Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello people!

I have an idea to my next project: The handmaidens famous flame gown!
    I have a lot of reference pictures, read about it, but I would actually hear about some experiences with it. (I hope there is someone)
    I am mostly afraid for the dye, because it will be the first dye I've had done.

I would like to hear some tips and tricks from you ladies (and gentlemen)

What kind of colour dye will be most useful for the gown?
    What about fabric..
    Etc.

Thank you!

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It is a gorgeous gown. I haven't made it myself, because I'm too afraid of the dye process.

this is the thread about handmaiden costumes. It's old and pretty long, so I would read it from the end, rather than from the start.

There is also the thread a new dye thread Where you can probably find a lot of help.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It's a beast, is all I can say. We ended up sewing the dress first (using a poly velvet from Dharma and Dharma dyes) and then set up 3 tubs of dye: One yellow, one light orange, one darker orange. We'd then only dip parts of it in the dye at a time, starting from the bottom, and then lay the dress out once rinsed and use a kitchen oil pump spray bottle full of dye to blend. I'd actually recommend using a paint brush or something to blend the dyes.

4. Meresamun

Meresamun Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks for the threads and answer :D
    . I actually forgot to search first, but its nice see there is someone who had tried it!

Hm.. I actually thinking about it will be most "easy" to buy some yellow fabric and then blend a orange with yellow and red dyes first.
    I've seem some video with "ombré" dying and actually thinking about it could be used...

5. nickenobi-nz

nickenobi-nz Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2005
    I was thinking of making the dress in yellow as well and sraying on the dye. Quite frankly I'm terrified of the dye so I think there is going to be a lot of trial and error! Please do let us know how you get on when you try it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.