main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Hanna's Story (Blood and Shadows part 1) - OC origin tale

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Cynical_Ben, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    And we see that, in a strange way, Hanna did at last have her original wish granted: to fight for the Empire. But her experiences with T'ocs and the crew of the Arbiter, and especially the horrible, harrowing happenings on Ome, make her so much more valuable both to herself and to them than if she had just gone to that academy at the beginning. And she's gained so much more: a wonderful adoptive father and mentor, full-flegded status in one of the Galaxy's foremost warrior traditions, and—because of the latter—the at least grudging admiration of the foremost of all Imperial Warlords, D. V. himself. (I love her comment that "Vader thinks that I'm this tough, hard Mandalorian warrior and so does the entire crew of this ship"—especially because she really is that by now, and Vader would not have taken a second look at her otherwise). Her story's a classic case of the axiom that "it doesn't matter if you fall down—what matters is that you get back up.

Great job with these stories. =D= I am so glad you decided to post them here, and I would love to read whatever comes next (and I think a visit to Mandalore would be a wonderful experience for this "accidental Mandalorian.")

Cynical_Ben and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Amethyst

Amethyst Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2014
    I have to chime in here at the end - truly this was a great story, well written and engaging. I also have to say that it felt...different, in a good way. It was a tough, gritty story with tough, gritty characters.

Hanna certainly had a tough time on her first time away from home, at the end it was hard to remember how young she had been at the beginning. By the end though, she was as formidable a fighter on Orne as she was in the sparring arena in the first chapter!

If I had to make one specific compliment it's that you set atmosphere well, I really got the *feel* for the environment that Hanna and co were dealing with, and its those kind of details that makes it easier to get invested in a story, because your writing does a good job of setting the tone.

Please keep writing, you'll always have me as a reader

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    =D= =D= =D=

A great, great end to a great, great coming-of-age story. I enjoyed every word of it!

I loved the fact that you kept Hanna's streak of childishness by making her a smoker -- after all she's been through, she still needs this minor (in comparison) transgression to feel that she's acting like an adult. And also the fact that she reverts to calling T'ocs "boss" once he adopts her.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequel(s), but can you tag me on the first post when you start one, please? I'll watch the thread after that.

Oh, and a visit to Mandalore would be "fun" :)

Cynical_Ben and Findswoman like this.
  4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart for all of the praise. I'd been working on this story on and off for around three years, and sketching out Hanna's character three or more years before that (fun fact, she originally appeared as an antagonist turned ally for another OC who we haven't met yet, but will soon,) and I never expected to get this sort of kind applause (albeit digital) from anyone who read it. I'd never been motivated to even finish it until I started posting it here and realized that it needed an ending.

(Another fun fact, the villains of the piece were originally ripoff xenomorphs from the Alien series, complete with acidic blood. It wasn't until I'd read Dawn of the Jedi and the primal, almost Lovecraftian ways some Jeedai used the Force to manipulate living beings when I struck on the idea of having Jedi be the bad guys.)

I'll be putting together a short little "detour" story on Mandalore for T'ocs and Hanna that should be posted fairly soon, it'll probably only be two or three updates unless the story gets away from me. I'll be sure to tag anyone who's asked to stay updated so far (including you Ewok Poet because I know you're lurking out there somewhere) when it goes live; it might not be for a little while depending on how long it winds up being and whether I want to write the whole thing before I put it up.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, I have been lurking somewhere for a while, as in "I've had this on my to-read list since February" and I still need to comment. Got sidetracked with so many things and now I only have four or five things left to catch up on, so don't worry. I will. ;)

I normally never ask for tags, as I would feel guilty to miss things, but since I do understand it's a honour of sorts, why not?

Proper commentary coming soon, this time for real.

Findswoman and Cynical_Ben like this.