main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hannibal Lecter discussion thread, Costs an arm and a leg to join!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by ILLUMINATUS_JEDI, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Lecter and Thomas Harris

Novels and Books, which was better etc.

New Red Dragon flim, Will it be good? Seen the trailer?

Discussion thread, please. Fanclubs are for Community.

2. Darth_name

Darth_name Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm currently reading Red Dragon. It's good, and i think the movie will be good as well.

3. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Darth_Tyrannous read Red Dragon while we were on vacation last year, he thought it was great. I am considering it for later reading, but I might want to see the movie first.

Worship the dark

4. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I just finished Red Dragon. I found it brilliant. Probably Harris's best book next to SOTL.

I just watched Hannibal on Showtime... I can discribe it in one word: yummy. ;)

I liked the movie's ending better than the book's ending (which was just weird). Plus it's nice to see Ray Liota's brain. [face_devil]

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So did anyone ever see Manhunter?

There was an IMDB poll a couple days ago on the most psychotic movie psycho and Tony Perkins as Lector won (*ahem* Kevin Spacey as John Doe in a close second ;) )

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    I haven't seen it but I aim to find it.

7. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I watched Manhunter a couple of months ago with my brother-in-law, who's a bigger Thomas Harris fan than I. He feels that the actor portraying Lecter in Manhunter is a better Hannibal than Hopkins. I disagree. When Hopkins dons that Lecter personna, he freaks me out. I mean he's really creepy.

I also read his copy of the novel, Hannibal. I personally liked the novel's ending. It was creepy (as it should be) and showcased the power Lecter always seemed to have over the minds of others (like in SOTL when he had the inmate swallow his own tongue, not to mention Verger {sp?}). Still, I did enjoy the little scene on the plane at the end of the film. Ewwwww. Nice touch.

8. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I am looking forward to Red Dragon,but Manhunter is in as much need of a re-make as Psycho was.

Manhunter is my favourite film from Harris' books and Bryan Cox is my Favourite Lector,he was brilliant.

I actually saw the films in order (alot of people didn't know about manhunter)so thats why i thing Manhunters the best.

As for Hannibal,the book was ten times better than the film,with a cool but unexpected ending !!!

9. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    I think that they changed the end to Hannibal to make room for another sequel. I know Harris probably won't write another book but that won't stop them from making another movie.

I can't wait for Red Dragon either. Their probably gonna expand Hannibal's part since he's what everyone who hasn't read the book expects to see.

10. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    I don't know about that. If the movie had retained the novel's ending there would still be room for sequels, should the Hollowood weasels have choosen to do so.

I recall several articles in USA and the like which indicated that several persons involved in the film did not like the idea of ending the movie according to the book. I've always been under the impression that was why Jodie Foster didn't reprise her role, but I may be mistaken, since they did in fact change the ending. Someone with more knowledge of what I'm talking about may be able to clarify.

11. Darth_name

Darth_name Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    what was the book ending? Did he possible spoilers Chop off Clarice's hand instead of his own?

12. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    My memory is shoddy, so again, if anyone can correct, please do.

The basics of the ending are:
    Clarice isn't herself at the dinner table - she's still drugged up. All three enjoy brain dujour. The police do not interrupt this scene. (small point lacking in film - Hannibal dumps food scraps into now empty skull cavity - revolting yes, but kinda funny in a Lecter sort of way). A character (whose name escapes me) finds Lecter and Clarice attending an opera or something (in central or south america??) like they're lovers or at least like a couple. He freaks out and leaves.
    That's pretty much how I remember it.

13. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    The flim ending was much better than the book.
    I'm psyched for the new flim, anyone seen the trailer?

14. Rassadock

Rassadock Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    yeah, the trailer looked awesome.

I personally think that Manhunter wasn't as good as SOTL. Also, I disagree that Manhunter shouldn't be remade. This way, the Hopkins as Lecter trilogy will be complete, and Manhunter can stand on its own.

15. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    The seen on the airplane in the movie was also in the book, but at a different time. That, and Lector feeds the kid liver (if i remember correctly).

16. Bossk_WookieHunter

Bossk_WookieHunter Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2002
    I've read the books and seen the movies.

Books

Red Dragon - very good with a great ending

Silence of the Lambs - Excellent! I don't think I can get bored of this

Hannibal - read it very fast but was overall dissapointed

Movies

Manhunter - very good.I prefer Cox as Lecter

Silence of the Lambs - Awesome! I'm tired of seeing it now though

Hannibal - complete trash

Red Dragon - I'm not too thrilled with the casting of this one

17. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Either discuss the books or the movies - not just one sentence "It'll be cool!!" posts - or I'm locking this.

18. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I read Red Dragon a long time ago, so I don't remember the details very well. I am definetly looking foward to the movie to refresh my memory because I remember that it was a great book (I actually own it).

19. Bossk_WookieHunter

Jun 23, 2002
    Ralph Finnes (sp) as Frances Dollarhyde (sp)= worst villian ever!

20. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Don't judge an actor as a character until you see the movie, Bossk. They may suprise you.

I saw a pic of Finnes and he looks like the dragon the way I envisioned the red dragon.

21. Bossk_WookieHunter

Jun 23, 2002
    /\

Very good point.Tom Noonan was exactly how I pictured Frances.

Norton as Will Graham doesn't please me either.I will watch this movie,but I won't be expecting much.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I thought Anthony Hopkins in SOTL did one of the best acting performances in film history. There was no question that you were looking at Hannibal Lecter and not Hopkins. He clearly seems to be doing it again for Red Dragon, based on what I saw in a recent trailer for it. I still haven't seen Hannibal, but perhaps I'll get around to it someday.

23. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Hannibal is very worth watching. Its more funny than serious thats why I think most people don't like it.

Hopkins is Lector theres no question about it. Of course Hopkins is great even in bad movies. I'll watch Bad Company because he's in it.

24. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who actually liked the Hannibal film. :)

I thought it was a suitable continuation from Sotl, but not so much a sequel. I got the feeling it was just more a story on Hannibal himself than a Sotl sequel. I think that was why I never left the show disapointed.

I'm very much looking forward to the Red Dragon 2002. It looks better than the Hannibal film.

The Red Dragon Trailer is scary! :D

I haven't hered what film it will be attached to in the theatres though. Has anybody hered?

25. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    The Red Dragon trailer is very good, but it makes it look as though Red Dragon is about Hannibal Lector. I dunno if I'm more happy or worried. This movie is supposed to be about the Tooth Fairy aka Red Dragon not Lector. I just wonder if Lector's character has been expanded from just a cameo.

And I don't know what movie has the trailer with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.